Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk Post 302769033 by vivek d r on Monday 11th of February 2013 05:24:44 AM
Old 02-11-2013
Passing awk variable argument to a script which is being called inside awk

consider the script below

Code:
sh /opt/hqe/hqapi1-client-5.0.0/bin/hqapi.sh  alert list --host=localhost --port=7443 --user=hqadmin --password=hqadmin --secure=true >/tmp/alerts.xml

awk -F'[=|"|<|>|,]' '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){
 if($i=="Alert id") {
  if(id!="")
        if(dt!=""){
cmd="sh someScript.sh "printf "%s",alDFid;"
cmd | getline prio
print "priority=" prio
close(cmd)
 printf "ID=%d\nNAME=%s\nFIXED=%s\nDATE=%s\nAlDefID=%d\n\n", id,nm,fx,dt,alDFid; }
  id=($i=="Alert id")?$(i+2):id; }
  nm=($i==" name")?$(i+2):nm;
  fx=($i==" fixed")?$(i+2):fx;
  dt=($i~/^ [0-9]+-/)?$i" "$(i+1):dt;
  alDFid=($i==" alertDefinitionId")?$(i+2):alDFid;
 }
}END{
 if(dt!=""){
 printf "ID=%d\nNAME=%s\nFIXED=%s\nDATE=%s\nAlDefID=%d\n\n", id,nm,fx,dt,alDFid;
}
}' /tmp/alerts.xml

here the script that i am calling is someScript.sh and to that i want to pass the contents of alDFid , i itred giving it in quotes , $ but none of it worked. even tried printf "%s",alDFid even this is not working.

Does anyone know how to pass argument to script from Awk with awk variable??

ALSO
why does
Code:
awk -F'priority=' '{print $2}' | cut -d'"' -f2

inside cmd="" wont work.. it wont consider awk inside this command. it keeps throwing error as

Code:
| grep priority | awk -Fpriority= {print
awk: cmd. line:6:     ^ unterminated string
./alertCheck_vivek.sh_date: line 26: cmd: command not found
./alertCheck_vivek.sh_date: line 26: getline: command not found
./alertCheck_vivek.sh_date: line 27: print: command not found
./alertCheck_vivek.sh_date: line 28: syntax error near unexpected token `cmd'
./alertCheck_vivek.sh_date: line 28: `close(cmd)'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing argument to awk script

I am writing a shell script. Now i need to read in a string and send it to an awk file to compare and search for compatible record. I wrote it like tat: read serial | awk -f generate.awk data.dat p/s: the data file got 6 field. According to an expert, we can write it like tat: read... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing awk variable to the shell script

hi; i have a file containing lines like: 1|1069108123|96393669788|00963215755711|2|0|941||;serv:Pps6aSyria;first:0;bear i want to extract the second, third and fourth record of each line and store it in a file ";" seperated this is what i wrote while read line do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bcheaib
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a variable into an awk script

Hello all, I'm trying to run a script of this format - for i in $(cat <file>); do grep $i <file1>|awk '{print $i, $1, $2}' It's not working - does anyone know how this can be done? Khoom (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument into awk

i'm trying to pass a numerical argument with function xyz to print specfic lines of filename, but my 'awk' syntax is incorrect. ie xyx 3 (prints the 3rd line, separated by ':' of filename) function xyz() { arg1=$1 cat filename | awk -F: -v x=$arg1 '{print $x}' } any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing non Awk Argument in Awk

Dear Conerned, I am facing a situation where i need to pass an argument which is non-awk variable like day=090319 awk '/TID:R/ && /TTIN:/' transaction.log I want to add this day variable like below awk '/TID:R$day/ && /TTIN:/' transaction.log But it is not working. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saifurshaon
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument to system call in awk script

So, I have this script. It reads a CSV file that has a mixture of object names with IP addresses (parsing out that part I have working), and object names which have a DNS name. I want to be able to run a "dig +short" based off of the name given to me in the line of the awk script, and then deal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikesimone
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing value as a command line argument in awk script.

I have one working awk command line. Which taking data from the “J1202523.TXT” file and generating the “brazil.dat” file. PFB code. awk '{ DUNS = substr($0,0,9);if ( substr($0,14,3) == "089" ) print DUNS }' J1202523.TXT > Brazil.dat But now I want to pass two parameter as a command line argument... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humaemo
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing --usage as argument to awk script

I have the awk script below and things go wrong when I do awk -v dsrmx=25 -f ./checkSRDry.awk --usage I basically want to override the usual --usage and --help that awk gives. How do people usually handle this situation when you also want to supply your own usage and help concerning the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem passing a search pattern to AWK inside a script loop

Learning, stumbling! My progress in shell scripting is slow. Now I have this doubt: I have the following file (users.txt): AU0909,on AU0309,off AU0209,on AU0109,off And this file (userson.txt) AU0909 AU0209 AU0109 AU0309 I just want to set those users on userson.txt to "off" in... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: quinestor
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing the value of variable which is read from command line in called script

Hi, I am calling a Perl script in my shell script. When Perl script is executed it asks for a answer to be entered by user from terminal. How can i pass that value from my shell script ?? I know I can change perl script to default the answer but i dont have access to do that so only option i... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: varun22486
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)