Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Debian Testing (Is it Stable) Post 302768803 by bakunin on Saturday 9th of February 2013 05:54:50 PM
Old 02-09-2013
Debian is probably the distribution with the most conservative attitude of all when it comes to version acceptance. Use a "Debian Stable" if you want something which will still be running in the next ice-age. "Debian Testing" and "Debian Unstable" are by no means insecure or crash-prone, just not that rigorously tested as "Stable".

For your laptop the advatages of having newer software, which is probably farther developed by far outweighs the disadvantage of having statistically one crash more every 20 years. As long as you don't control atomic power plants or similarily sensitive things with this system you probably will come to like it. I have a "Debian Unstable" somewhere on my notebook and never had any problems with it, I mainly use Fedora Core, but that is more because of personal taste than because of any shortcoming of Debian.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Quickcam In Debian/testing

I have a Logitech Quickcam for Notebook and I am trying to install it. When I do the "make" command I get this error: user@host: /usr/src/modules/gspca$ make make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/gspca CC=cc modules make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/build: No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Texasone
1 Replies

2. Debian

Debian Stable + KDE

Hello, Unix - Forums. How can I set the DE to KDE on a fresh, netinst image of Debian Stable? By default, it installs GNOME. Is there a way to change that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intelinside
1 Replies

3. Debian

Need to upgrade Debian 7.8 to Debian 8.5 (Not 8.5)

Hello, I need to upgrade my Debian system 7.8 to 8.5 but by default via apt-get It moves to 8.6 version(latest stable version). I'm new to Debian so didn't figure out the solution. I've checked few suggestions over internet like editing apt source list file using snapshot archive. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
2 Replies
DH_INSTALLMENU(1)						     Debhelper							 DH_INSTALLMENU(1)

NAME
dh_installmenu - install Debian menu files into package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_installmenu [debhelperoptions] [-n] DESCRIPTION
dh_installmenu is a debhelper program that is responsible for installing files used by the Debian menu package into package build directories. It also automatically generates the postinst and postrm commands needed to interface with the Debian menu package. These commands are inserted into the maintainer scripts by dh_installdeb(1). FILES
debian/package.menu Debian menu files, installed into usr/share/menu/package in the package build directory. See menufile(5) for its format. debian/package.menu-method Debian menu method files, installed into etc/menu-methods/package in the package build directory. OPTIONS
-n, --no-scripts Do not modify postinst/postrm scripts. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) update-menus(1) menufile(5) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_INSTALLMENU(1)