Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding first difference between two files Post 302768633 by Mojing on Saturday 9th of February 2013 04:15:37 AM
Old 02-09-2013
hmm I see, but it still will go through the whole file, which is like a 1GB text file...
thanks though

---------- Post updated at 04:15 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:14 AM ----------

I think cmp will do, I'll just get the line info and grep some text out

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding duplicate files by size and finding pattern matching and its count

Hi, I have a challenging task,in which i have to find the duplicate files by its name and size,then i need to take anyone of the file.Then i need to open the file and find for more than one pattern and count of that pattern. Note:These are the samples of two files,but i can have more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerome Sukumar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the time difference

Hi, I have two files A.txt and B.txt. And i have the following attributes in both the files. <date and time> <a unique id> For eg: <2007 May 30 20:29:36:034 GMT> <ID1> in A.txt <2007 May 30 20:42:36:038 GMT> <ID1> in B.txt Now, i need to find the time difference... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: padma.raajesh
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding difference between 2 directory recursively

Hi, i'm trying to compare two directories in Unix. I need a recursive search ie my shell script should also compare common files in those two directory and so on... any clues.. ?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yayati
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding difference in two comma separated files in UINX

Dear All, I have requirement like this: I have 2 camma seperated files file1: 1,aaa,bbb,ccc, 2,bbb,ccc,ddd, 3,ccc,ddd,eee, file2: 1,aaa,bbb,ccc, 2,bbb,ddd,ddd, 3,ccc,ddd,eee, my requirement is I should get message in the out put like: There is a difference in 3 rd filed in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mymoto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding difference between two files

Hi, I have two files one with 12486 lines second one with 13116 As per the comparsion between two files the count have 630 difference I used diff command to find the difference between two files but it's not understandable could any one suggest any command to get 630 records in a new... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in finding in date difference

Hi, My date is coming as STARTDATE=Sun Jul 15 00:34:23 2012 ENDDATE=Sun Jul 15 00:50:04 2012I want difference between these two dates,anyone's helps will be appriciated. Thanks Prasoon (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasson_ibm
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding difference in 1st field for rows of data

I have a file that has multiple lines, of grouped data, that typically all have the same values in the 1st field, however, I would like to search the 1st field for any differences and set a flag to use in an "if" statement to run some other routine. An example of the typical file is below,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: co21ss
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding difference in 2 different timestamps

Legends, I have a requirement to run the script exactly after one hour of completion of dependent script. Eg: Script B should run after one hour on the completion of Script A. I got the time stamps using following variables. these scripts runs in autosys > DATE=`date +%H:%M` >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding difference in between two array's of strings

Hi, Can anybody help me in finding the difference between two array elements with the help of code pls. purge=("Purge Concurrent Request and/or Manager Data" "Purge Signon Audit data" "Purge Obsolete Workflow Runtime Data" "Purge Logs and Closed System Alerts") purge_1=("Purge Obsolete... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Y.balakrishna
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding difference between two columns of unequal length

Hi, I have two files which look like this cat waitstate.txt 18.2 82.1 cat gostate.txt 5.6 5.8 6.1 6.3 6.6 6.9 7.2 7.5 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
4 Replies
HEAD(1) 								FSF								   HEAD(1)

NAME
head - output the first part of files SYNOPSIS
head [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print first 10 lines of each FILE to standard output. With more than one FILE, precede each with a header giving the file name. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --bytes=SIZE print first SIZE bytes -n, --lines=NUMBER print first NUMBER lines instead of first 10 -q, --quiet, --silent never print headers giving file names -v, --verbose always print headers giving file names --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg. AUTHOR
Written by David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for head is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and head programs are properly installed at your site, the command info head should give you access to the complete manual. head (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 HEAD(1)