Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do you create Directory sturctures? Post 302768505 by blackendstars on Friday 8th of February 2013 04:55:15 PM
Old 02-08-2013
Wrench How do you create Directory sturctures?

A book that i bought is saying to use mkdir and touch to create a directory called "Unix1b" within my home directory with the structure at the following

Code:
Unix1b
`-- Unix1Image
    |-- admin
    |-- street
    |   |-- annex
    |   |-- building1
    |   `-- parking
    |-- faculty
    |-- history.exe
    |-- markham
    |   |-- outline.doc
    |   |-- programming
    |   |   `-- systems.pdf
    |   `-- security
    |-- course
    |   |-- gen_ed
    |   `-- lib_arts
    |       |-- english.txt
    |       `-- match.doc
    `-- mall
        |-- cafeteria
        |-- library
        `-- security
            |-- annex
            |-- building
            `-- parking

i did "
Code:
mkdir -p Unix1b/Unix1

"
then i do"
Code:
cd Unix1

"
Code:
username@matrix:~/Unix1> mkdir street
username@matrix:~/Unix1> mkdir admin
username@matrix:~/Unix1> cd street
username@matrix:~/Unix1/street> touch annex
username@matrix:~/Unix1/street> touch building1

now here is my question, what should i do for the for the parking in street directory.... what does that " `-- parking " mean?

am i even doing this right? Smilie

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-09-2013 at 02:18 AM.. Reason: additional code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unable to create any directory that uses numbers as the directory name

Version-Release number of selected component (if applicable): ================================================================== root@server # cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 5) root@server # uname -a Linux server.integrityserver.net... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
16 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a directory?

how can i creat a directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: o5m2a8r
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create directory

how do i create a directory. how do check if the directory exist and it is valid? thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yang
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot create a directory

Hi, I am using the following command to check weather directory exists , if not i am creating a directory. if then echo "directory already exsist" else mkdir healthcheck.log echo "directory created" >> $_LOGFILE fi But i am gettin the following error in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
6 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Create script to add user and create directory

first off let me introduce myself. My name is Eric and I am new to linux, I am taking an advanced linux administration class and we are tasked with creating a script to add new users that anyone can run, has to check for the existence of a directory. if the directory does not exist then it has... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbhound
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create directory

Hi, I want to create directory using shell scripts, my directory will be created with todays date and the scripts will run everyday many times but directory will be created only once and that too when scripts run first time. if directory exist then do nothing else mkdir RIO_`date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: guddu_12
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List files with date, create directory, move to the created directory

Hi all, i have a folder, with tons of files containing as following, on /my/folder/jobs/ some_name_2016-01-17-22-38-58_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-40-30_some name_0_0.zip.done some_name_2016-01-17-22-48-50_some name_0_0.zip.done and these can be lots of similar files,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charli1
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How Create new directory and move files to that directory.?

Hi All, We have main directory called "head" under this we have several sub directories and under these directories we have sub directories. My requirement is I have to find the SQL files which are having the string "procedure" under "head" directory and sub directories as well. And create... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROCK_PLSQL
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script cannot create directory and move the file to that directory

I have a script, which is checking if file exists and move it to another directory if then mkdir -p ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly mv report_manual_alloc_rpt_A_I_ASSIGNMENT.${Today}*.csv ${LOCL_FILES_DIR}/cool_${Today}/monthly ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create directory and sub-directory with awk and bash

In the below I am trying to create a parent directory using the R_2019 line from f1 if what above it is not empty. I then create sub-directories under each parent if there is a match between $2 of f1 and $2. Inside each sub-folder the matching paths in $3 and $4 in f2are printed. If there is no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
SSH2_SFTP_MKDIR(3)							 1							SSH2_SFTP_MKDIR(3)

ssh2_sftp_mkdir - Create a directory

SYNOPSIS
bool ssh2_sftp_mkdir (resource $sftp, string $dirname, [int $mode = 0777], [bool $recursive = false]) DESCRIPTION
Creates a directory on the remote file server with permissions set to $mode. This function is similar to using mkdir(3) with the ssh2.sftp:// wrapper. PARAMETERS
o $sftp - An SSH2 SFTP resource opened by ssh2_sftp(3). o $dirname - Path of the new directory. o $mode - Permissions on the new directory. o $recursive - If $recursive is TRUE any parent directories required for $dirname will be automatically created as well. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Creating a directory on a remote server <?php $connection = ssh2_connect('shell.example.com', 22); ssh2_auth_password($connection, 'username', 'password'); $sftp = ssh2_sftp($connection); ssh2_sftp_mkdir($sftp, '/home/username/newdir'); /* Or: mkdir("ssh2.sftp://$sftp/home/username/newdir"); */ ?> SEE ALSO
mkdir(3), ssh2_sftp_rmdir(3). PHP Documentation Group SSH2_SFTP_MKDIR(3)