Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Clone or mirror your AIX OS larger disk to smaller disk ? Post 302768483 by filosophizer on Friday 8th of February 2013 04:09:48 PM
Old 02-08-2013
Code:
root@test1:/>lsvg rootvg

VOLUME GROUP:       rootvg                   VG IDENTIFIER:  00c7780e00004c000000013b4d2a9ce3
VG STATE:           active                   PP SIZE:        512 megabyte(s)
VG PERMISSION:      read/write               TOTAL PPs:      19 (9728 megabytes)
MAX LVs:            256                      FREE PPs:       0 (0 megabytes)
LVs:                10                       USED PPs:       19 (9728 megabytes)
OPEN LVs:           9                        QUORUM:         1
TOTAL PVs:          1                        VG DESCRIPTORS: 2
STALE PVs:          0                        STALE PPs:      0
ACTIVE PVs:         1                        AUTO ON:        yes
MAX PPs per VG:     32512                                    0
MAX PPs per PV:     1016                     MAX PVs:        32
LTG size (Dynamic): 256 kilobyte(s)          AUTO SYNC:      no
HOT SPARE:          no                       BB POLICY:      relocatable

will running this command help

Code:
 chvg -t 2 rootvg
0516-1193 chvg: WARNING, once this operation is completed, volume group rootvg
        cannot be imported into AIX 430 or lower versions. Continue (y/n) ?
y
0516-1164 chvg: Volume group rootvg changed.  With given characteristics rootvg
        can include upto 16 physical volumes with 2032 physical partitions each.

VOLUME GROUP in AIX - web-manual

I made a clone from a 10GB rootvg on 15GB rootvg , should I get the 5GB as free space -- which I am not getting it !

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Upgrade Hard Disk to a larger one

Hello folks, I have a sun sparcstation 20, I would like to upgrade one of the hard disks to a larger one. The one I would like to upgrade only contains user data. Here are my thoughts: 1. Backup the specific file system 2. Replace the disk with the larger disk 3. Create a new file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DLongan
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How do I clone Solaris 7 disk

could anyone give me a general idea of how i may clone a 2 Gig disk running Solaris 7 on it to another disk of the same size? currently, this system only has one disk in it though. i do have the ability to hook up another disk via SCSI. i have been told i need to boot to "miniroot" to run... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: obosha
9 Replies

3. Solaris

Upgrading To Larger Disk?

I have just been assigned the task of upgrading to a larger disk on a e250; however, I am use to working on Linux and x86 hardware. I would be very appreciative if someone could inform me on how this procedure can be done safely. To begin with, the e250 has a 18 Gig primary scsi disk and a 18... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

clone disk

Disk cloning I had an external SCSI master disk that I used to clone to an identical external SCSI disk because the other SCSI disk would become corrupted. My original Master became corrupted so I used one of the other to good disk to copy back to the master. Unfortunately the new master needs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stamperr
1 Replies

5. Solaris

disk 2 disk mirror

Dear friends & gurus i have some servers running solaris 10 intel machines,they are in mirror disk 2 disk there is no any hardware RAID only software RAID and they are in remote place. 1) solaris 10 OS c0t0d0(Disk1) & cotod1(Disk2) in mirror (SVM) 2) i want to break the mirror 3) boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niru
0 Replies

6. HP-UX

What is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ?

what is the difference between DRD and Root Mirror Disk using LVM mirror ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Faster dd for disk clone

Guys can anyone tell how can we do faster disk cloning Below i found in google 1. dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=4096 conv=noerror,sync So adding "conv=noerror,sync " makes it faster looks against not adding it 2. Enable write cache activated (hdparm -W1 /dev/sda) then run dd .. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Use 'dd' to copy boot disk to larger target disk

Hi, I'm looking to copy a boot disk on an old Solaris 8 system using dd. I'll bring the system down to single user mode and begin from there. I'm copying my source disk to a larger target disk. Do I need to do anything other than the 'dd' command below because the target disk is bigger? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
2 Replies

9. AIX

Clone 1 Hard disk fromIBM Intellipoint server with AIX 5.x

Hello to all, Im having a new task in a new world (AIX - IBM Servers) I have an IBM Server (Type - 9111-285 very old one) with one Hard disk (73 GB 10 K) with AIX 5.x, and I need to clone the existing disk to another with the same specifications. Could you please give me some advice in order... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: trevian3969
7 Replies
LVEXTEND(8)                                                   System Manager's Manual                                                  LVEXTEND(8)

NAME
lvextend - extend the size of a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvextend [--alloc AllocationPolicy] [-A|--autobackup y|n] [-d|--debug] [-h|-?|--help] [--noudevsync] [-i|--stripes Stripes [-I|--stripesize StripeSize]] {-l|--extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] | -L|--size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE]} [-f|--force] [-n|--nofsck] [-r|--resizefs] [-t|--test] [-v|--verbose] LogicalVolumePath [PhysicalVolumePath[:PE[-PE]]...] DESCRIPTION
lvextend allows you to extend the size of a logical volume. Extension of snapshot logical volumes (see lvcreate(8) for information to cre- ate snapshots) is supported as well. But to change the number of copies in a mirrored logical volume use lvconvert(8). OPTIONS
See lvm for common options. --noudevsync Disable udev synchronisation. The process will not wait for notification from udev. It will continue irrespective of any possible udev processing in the background. You should only use this if udev is not running or has rules that ignore the devices LVM2 cre- ates. -l, --extents [+]LogicalExtentsNumber[%{VG|LV|PVS|FREE|ORIGIN}] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of logical extents. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and without it, the value is taken as an absolute one. The number can also be expressed as a percentage of the total space in the Volume Group with the suffix %VG, relative to the existing size of the Logical Volume with the suffix %LV, of the remaining free space for the specified PhysicalVolume(s) with the suffix %PVS, as a percentage of the remaining free space in the Volume Group with the suffix %FREE, or (for a snapshot) as a percentage of the total space in the Origin Logical Volume with the suffix %ORIGIN. The resulting value is rounded upward. -L, --size [+]LogicalVolumeSize[bBsSkKmMgGtTpPeE] Extend or set the logical volume size in units of megabytes. A size suffix of M for megabytes, G for gigabytes, T for terabytes, P for petabytes or E for exabytes is optional. With the + sign the value is added to the actual size of the logical volume and with- out it, the value is taken as an absolute one. -i, --stripes Stripes Gives the number of stripes for the extension. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a sin- gle value throughout. -I, --stripesize StripeSize Gives the number of kilobytes for the granularity of the stripes. Not applicable to LVs using the original metadata LVM format, which must use a single value throughout. StripeSize must be 2^n (n = 2 to 9) -f, --force Proceed with size extension without prompting. -n, --nofsck Do not perform fsck before extending filesystem when filesystem requires it. You may need to use --force to proceed with this option. -r, --resizefs Resize underlying filesystem together with the logical volume using fsadm(8). Examples "lvextend -L +54 /dev/vg01/lvol10 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by 54MB on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is only possible if /dev/sdk3 is a member of volume group vg01 and there are enough free physical extents in it. "lvextend /dev/vg01/lvol01 /dev/sdk3" tries to extend the size of that logical volume by the amount of free space on physical volume /dev/sdk3. This is equivalent to specifying "-l +100%PVS" on the command line. "lvextend -L+16M vg01/lvol01 /dev/sda:8-9 /dev/sdb:8-9" tries to extend a logical volume "vg01/lvol01" by 16MB using physical extents /dev/sda:8-9 and /dev/sdb:8-9 for allocation of extents. SEE ALSO
fsadm(8), lvm(8), lvcreate(8), lvconvert(8), lvreduce(8), lvresize(8), lvchange(8) Sistina Software UK LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06) LVEXTEND(8)