Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk delete newline after other replacements Post 302768467 by DGPickett on Friday 8th of February 2013 03:33:03 PM
Old 02-08-2013
You might have hit the side of the box, this is a line oriented tool. Do you want to merge some lines or remove all linefeeds? Command "tr -d '\12'" removes all linefeeds.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk error for joining records with CR/newline

Is there any way to remove carriage retuns between the records? These carriage returns are created in an excel cell by using Alt+enter, this is similar to new line... We have input records separated by TABS and have carriage returns as below: 123 456 789 ABC "1952.00" 678 "abcdef ghik... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheepi
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete newline character between html tags

Hi, I have learned some of the Unix commands a way back and not sure of how to code them when needed in certain way, especially sed command. Here is my situation. I have an xml file with several tags. most of the tags start on the same line and end on the same line. However, data for some tags... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish312
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete the line started with nondigit or newline character

i want to delete the line which is not started with numeric in vim. vim temp.txt Volume in drive D is DATA Volume Serial Number is 8C52-2055 Directory of D:\data\notes 02/16/2010 03:09 PM <DIR> . 02/16/2010 03:09 PM <DIR> .. 09/11/1999 03:03 AM ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manabhanjan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

using awk removing newline and specific position

Hello Friends, Input File looks as follows: >FASTA Header1 line1 line2 line3 linen >FASTA Header2 Line1 Line2 linen >FASTA Header3 and so on ....... Output: Want something as: >FASTA Header1 line1line2line3linen >FASTA Header2 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deep9000
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk remove newline

Hi, I have input file contains sql queries i need to eliminate newlines from it. when i open it vi text editor and runs :%s/'\n/'/g it provides required result. but when i run sed command from shell prompt it doesn't impact outfile is still same as inputfile. shell] sed -e... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirfan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk puts newline between fields

I have a='123, abc, def, ghi' var1=`echo $a | awk -F", " '{print RS $1}'` echo "something: $var1" which outputs something 123 how can I tell awk not to put a newline between fields? I want it to output: something: 123 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete newline with perl

input: donkey monkey dance drink output should be: donkey monkey (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Selective Replacements: Using sed or awk to replace letters with numbers in a very specific way

Hello all. I am a beginner UNIX user who is using UNIX to work on a bioinformatics project for my university. I have a bit of a complicated issue in trying to use sed (or awk) to "find and replace" bases (letters) in a genetics data spreadsheet (converted to a text file, can be either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mince
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: printing newline with last column

I was trying to simplify this from what I'm actually doing, but I started getting even more confused so I gave up. Here is the content of my input file: Academic year,Term,Course name,Period,Last name,Nickname 2012-2013,First Semester,English 12,7th Period,Davis,Lucille When I do this: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextyoyoma
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Entering a newline into a header in awk

I want to create a header with awk like this: gawk 'BEGIN {print "List of Events"} Desired output: List of Events Tennis Baseball But I am at a loss on how to do this. I can make a list like this: List of Events Tennis Baseball But I can't get a space to appear. I have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies
col(1)							      General Commands Manual							    col(1)

NAME
col - Filters text containing linefeeds SYNOPSIS
col [-bfhpx] [-l number] The col command reads from standard input and writes to standard output. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: col: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Assumes that the output device in use is not capable of backspacing. In this case, if two or more characters are to be displayed in the same position, only the last one that is read is displayed in the output. This function is useful for converting nroff output to produce readable results on terminals or printers that do not support underlining or overstriking characters. Suppresses the default treatment of half-line motions in the input. Normally, col does not emit half-line motions on output, although it does accept them in its input. With this option, output may contain forward half-linefeeds (<ESC-9>), but not reverse linefeeds (<ESC-7> or <ESC-8>). [Tru64 UNIX] Compresses spaces into tabs. This is the default. [Tru64 UNIX] Buffers at least number lines in memory. By default, 128 lines are buffered. Dis- plays unknown escape sequences as characters, subject to overprinting from reverse line motions. Normally, col ignores them. You should be fully aware of the textual position of escape sequences before you use this option. Outputs multiple spaces instead of tabs. OPERANDS
None DESCRIPTION
The col command performs the line overlays implied by reverse linefeeds (ASCII <ESC-7>), and by forward and reverse half-linefeeds (ASCII <ESC-9> and ASCII <ESC-8>). It also replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible. [Tru64 UNIX] The col command is particularly useful for filtering multicolumn output made by the nroff and tbl commands. The col command assumes that the ASCII control characters SO (17) and SI (16) begin and end text in an alternate character set. The col command remembers the character set each input character belongs to, and on output generates SI and SO characters as appropriate to ensure that each character is printed in the correct character set. On input, the col command accepts only the control characters for the <Space>, <Backspace>, <Tab>, and <Return> keys; the newline charac- ter; the SI, SO, and VT control characters; and <ESC-7>, <ESC-8>, or <ESC-9>. The VT control character (13) is an alternate form of full reverse linefeed included for compatibility with some earlier programs of this type. The col command discards all other nonprinting char- acters. [Tru64 UNIX] If the input attempts to back up to the last flushed line, col displays a warning message. NOTES
Depending on the printer, using the -x option may increase printing time. Local vertical motion that causes a backwards move over the first line of input is ignored. The first line of input may not have any superscripts. This command is marked LEGACY in XCU Issue 5. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of col: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: deroff(1), neqn(1), nroff(1), tbl(1) Standards: standards(5) col(1)