Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Finding the group owner for a file Post 302768427 by alister on Friday 8th of February 2013 02:16:16 PM
Old 02-08-2013
If your system has a stat utility, man 1 stat should tell you all you need to know. Specifically, for customized output, with GNU stat see the -c option; with BSD stat, see the -f option.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

owner and group in Linux

I am bit unclear of how Linux was set in the real world, please advise me how it's supposed to be. When I log in as root and do a ls -l, I find: /boot, /, /var, /usr, /tmp, /home, /u01, /u02, /u03 and of of this partition is owned by root and the group also belong to root. Is that the way it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change owner and group of a linux file

Hi, I don't know how the owner & group of a login file in redhat linux 7.2 changed to bache like, -rwxr-xr-x 1 bache bache 17740 Jun 20 02:05 login I am trying to change the owner and group to root by using #chown root login #chgrp root login But i am getting the error ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

permission, owner and group

hello I search a script (ksh for Aix 5.3) to save all permissions, groups and owner for all files. Because we work much to change it, and a mystake ......! So i want execute this script to save/ execute permissions for all files. If you have this script, thank you for your help ;) best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file?

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file? -rwxrwxr-x 1 root sys 1202 Dec 5 2002 abc.awk like here i need to set the name of root and sys to xxx xxx Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehak
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy owner permissions to group

Hi, I need a command or a script to change the group permissions to be the same as the owner permissions for all my files and directories (recursive) any idea ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ynixon
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

automatically change owner and group

We have a program that when a new account is created using the webpage it creates a new directory on the linux filesystem for the account. The problem is the process that creates the directory is as root user, as I want ftpuser to be able to login I have to manually login and chown -R the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating a file where the owner and group is not root

Hi, I'm the root user on my computer, but I'm writing a script that does a lot of file handling. Every time I create a file or directory it automatically requires root privileges. Is there a way I can just create a file that the user can access without a password? For example in my script I... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdilts
20 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the Group Owner Name

Hi all, How can i find the group owner name...??? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansahr143
4 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

To identify the group owner

If I have to identify the group owner of an AIX group, what is the command to be used. Example: there is an mqadm group, how do I find the owner of this group? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
6 Replies

10. AIX

Files without owner and group

Dears it is normal that the below binaries stay without any owner and group I have checked it in many servers and the like the below /usr/lpp/bos.net/inst_root/etc/ipsec# ls -lrt total 248 -r-xr-xr-x 1 987 987 13589 Jun 29 2005 default_group -r-xr-xr-x ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
5 Replies
CHOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						  CHOWN(8)

NAME
chown -- change file owner and group SYNOPSIS
chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] owner[:group] file ... chown [-fhv] [-R [-H | -L | -P]] :group file ... DESCRIPTION
The chown utility changes the user ID and/or the group ID of the specified files. Symbolic links named by arguments are silently left unchanged unless -h is used. The options are as follows: -f Don't report any failure to change file owner or group, nor modify the exit status to reflect such failures. -H If the -R option is specified, symbolic links on the command line are followed. (Symbolic links encountered in the tree traversal are not followed.) -h If the file is a symbolic link, change the user ID and/or the group ID of the link itself. -L If the -R option is specified, all symbolic links are followed. -P If the -R option is specified, no symbolic links are followed. Instead, the user and/or group ID of the link itself are modified. This is the default. Use -h to change the user ID and/or the group of symbolic links. -R Change the user ID and/or the group ID for the file hierarchies rooted in the files instead of just the files themselves. -v Cause chown to be verbose, showing files as the owner is modified. The -H, -L and -P options are ignored unless the -R option is specified. In addition, these options override each other and the command's actions are determined by the last one specified. The owner and group operands are both optional; however, at least one must be specified. If the group operand is specified, it must be pre- ceded by a colon (``:'') character. The owner may be either a numeric user ID or a user name. If a user name is also a numeric user ID, the operand is used as a user name. The group may be either a numeric group ID or a group name. If a group name is also a numeric group ID, the operand is used as a group name. For obvious security reasons, the ownership of a file may only be altered by a super-user. Similarly, only a member of a group can change a file's group ID to that group. DIAGNOSTICS
The chown utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
Previous versions of the chown utility used the dot (``.'') character to distinguish the group name. This has been changed to be a colon (``:'') character, so that user and group names may contain the dot character. On previous versions of this system, symbolic links did not have owners. The -v option is non-standard and its use in scripts is not recommended. LEGACY DESCRIPTION
In legacy mode, the -R and -RP options do not change the user ID or the group ID of symbolic links. SEE ALSO
chgrp(1), find(1), chown(2), fts(3), compat(5), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The chown utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compliant. HISTORY
A chown utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
March 31, 1994 BSD