Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How does egrep work?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How does egrep work? Post 302768373 by brownwrap on Friday 8th of February 2013 12:17:35 PM
Old 02-08-2013
I did post the output. It simply returns the heading to a df, no content:

Code:
ssh remote_machine df -h | /usr/bin/egrep "100%|9[0-9]%|8[0-9]%|7[0-9]%|capacity"

Filesystem             size   used  avail capacity  Mounted on

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

egrep -f

Hi, i am using egrep -f. The file with the expressions is very big and if i make the file a lot smaller, it works fine. Only if i use the original file, witch has about 20.000 lines it doesn't seem to work. Is the file to big, or do i need more patience?? my command is: egrep -f... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tine
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with egrep

I have a file called alert.log containing the following: WARNING: received KRVX_OPER_CANNOT_SUPPORT knlldmm: gdbnm=CROOP knlldmm: objn=23793 knlldmm: objv=1 knlldmm: scn=5189816456 knllgobjinfo: MISSING Streams multi-version data dictionary!!! knlldmm: gdbnm=FDROP knlldmm: objn=49385... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: akDBA
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep cheat sheet anywhere? Looking for meaning of egrep -c

Hi I've been searching google and have not found what egrep -c means. Does anyone know where I can get a cheat sheet or what that -c means? thanks, Linda (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: leelm
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

if [ -z echo foo | egrep -e 'regexp' != '' ] -> dont work

Hallo, I need to test a String (a special ip number-string). So I want to run that: ipadress=172.0.0.0 # for debugging: echo $ipadress | egrep -e '172\.?\.??\.??$' # the test that doesnt work if test -z `echo $ipadress | egrep -e '172\.?\.??\.??$'` != "" then echo "match" else... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

egrep

Hi, I am wondering if it's possible to link multiple patterns with egrep. Here here is what I am doing : grep -v ";;" | grep -v ARC_TIME | grep -v \* | grep -v STAS0 Can I do all of this by invoking egrep just once ? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aswex
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with egrep

Hi, I need to search for a exact word in a file and I have a list of allowable values in a list file. I search something like this using egrep -f option: >egrep -f list.txt data.txt New New York NewYork > list.txt file has the allowable value for search and this file can be edited to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

My script work on Linux but not work in sunos.

My script work on Linux but not work in sun os. my script. logFiles="sentLog1.log sentLog2.log" intial_time="0 0" logLocation="/usr/local/tomcat/logs/" sleepTime=600 failMessage=":: $(tput bold)Log not update$(tput rmso) = " successMessage="OK" arr=($logFiles)... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
7 Replies

10. IP Networking

Discussion at work, would a router work pluging a cable in wan1 and lan1?

hi all. and sorry for the random question, but this sparkled a raging flame-war at work and i want more points of view situation a router, with linux of some sort, dhcp client requesting for ip in wan1 (as usual with wan ports) dhcp server listening in lan1, and assigning ip (as usual... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: broli
9 Replies
lofiadm(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       lofiadm(1M)

NAME
lofiadm - administer files available as block devices through lofi SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/lofiadm -a file [device] /usr/sbin/lofiadm -d file | device /usr/sbin/lofiadm [ file | device] DESCRIPTION
lofiadm administers lofi(7D), the loopback file driver. lofi(7D) allows a file to be associated with a block device. That file can then be accessed through the block device. This is useful when the file contains an image of some filesystem (such as a floppy or CD-ROM image), because the block device can then be used with the normal system utilities for mounting, checking or repairing filesystems. See fsck(1M) and mount(1M). Use lofiadm to add a file as a loopback device, remove such an association, or print information about the current associations. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a file [deviceAdd file as a block device. If device is not specified, an available device is picked. If device is specified, lofiadm attempts to assign it to file. device must be available or lofiadm will fail. The ability to specify a device is provided for use in scripts that wish to re-establish a particular set of associations. -d file | deviceRemove an association by file or device name, if the associated block device is not busy, and deallocates the block device. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Print the block device associated with file. device Print the file name associated with the block device device. Without arguments, print a list of the current associations. Filenames must be valid absolute pathnames. When a file is added, it is opened for reading or writing by root. Any restrictions apply (such as restricted root access over NFS). The file is held open until the association is removed. It is not actually accessed until the block device is used, so it will never be written to if the block device is only opened read-only. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Mounting an Existing CD-ROM Image You should ensure that Solaris understands the image before creating the CD. lofi allows you to mount the image and see if it works. This example mounts an existing CD-ROM image (sparc.iso), of the Red Hat 6.0 CD which was downloaded from the Internet. It was created with the mkisofs utility from the Internet. Use lofiadm to attach a block device to it: # lofiadm -a /home/mike_s/RH6.0/sparc.iso /dev/lofi/1 lofiadm picks the device and prints the device name to the standard output. You can run lofiadm again by issuing the following command: # lofiadm Block Device File /dev/lofi/1 /home/mike_s/RH6.0/sparc.iso Or, you can give it one name and ask for the other, by issuing the following command: # lofiadm /dev/lofi/1 /home/mike_s/RH6.0/sparc.iso Use the mount command to mount the image: # mount -F hsfs -o ro /dev/lofi/1 /mnt Check to ensure that Solaris understands the image: # df -k /mnt Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/lofi/1 512418 512418 0 100% /mnt # ls /mnt ./ RedHat/ doc/ ls-lR rr_moved/ ../ TRANS.TBL dosutils/ ls-lR.gz sbin@ .buildlog bin@ etc@ misc/ tmp/ COPYING boot/ images/ mnt/ usr@ README boot.cat* kernels/ modules/ RPM-PGP-KEY dev@ lib@ proc/ Solaris can mount the CD-ROM image, and understand the filenames. The image was created properly, and you can now create the CD-ROM with confidence. As a final step, unmount and detach the images: # umount /mnt # lofiadm -d /dev/lofi/1 # lofiadm Block Device File Example 2: Mounting a Floppy Image This is similar to Example 1. Using lofi to help you mount files that contain floppy images is helpful if a floppy disk contains a file that you need, but the machine which you are on does not have a floppy drive. It is also helpful if you do not want to take the time to use the dd command to copy the image to a floppy. This is an example of getting to MDB floppy for Solaris on an x86 platform: # lofiadm -a /export/s28/MDB_s28x_wos/latest/boot.3 /dev/lofi/1 # mount -F pcfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt # ls /mnt ./ COMMENT.BAT* RC.D/ SOLARIS.MAP* ../ IDENT* REPLACE.BAT* X/ APPEND.BAT* MAKEDIR.BAT* SOLARIS/ # umount /mnt # lofiadm -d /export/s28/MDB_s28x_wos/latest/boot.3 Example 3: Making a UFS Filesystem on a File Making a UFS filesystm on a file can be useful, particularly if a test suite requires a scratch filesystem. It can be painful (or annoying) to have to re-partition a disk just for the test suite, but you do not have to. You can newfs a file with lofi Create the file: # mkfile 35m /export/home/test Attach it to a block device. You also get the character device that newfs requires, so newfs that: # lofiadm -a /export/home/test /dev/lofi/1 # newfs /dev/rlofi/1 newfs: construct a new file system /dev/rlofi/1: (y/n)? y /dev/rlofi/1: 71638 sectors in 119 cylinders of 1 tracks, 602 sectors 35.0MB in 8 cyl groups (16 c/g, 4.70MB/g, 2240 i/g) super-block backups (for fsck -F ufs -o b=#) at: 32, 9664, 19296, 28928, 38560, 48192, 57824, 67456, Note that ufs might not be able to use the entire file. Mount and use the filesystem: # mount /dev/lofi/1 /mnt # df -k /mnt Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/lofi/1 33455 9 30101 1% /mnt # ls /mnt ./ ../ lost+found/ # umount /mnt # lofiadm -d /dev/lofi/1 Example 4: Creating a PC (FAT) File System on a Unix File The following series of commands creates a FAT file system on a Unix file. The file is associated with a block device created by lofiadm. # mkfile 10M /export/test/testfs # lofiadm -a /export/test testfs /dev/lofi/1 Note use of rlofi, not lofi, in following command. # mkfs -F pcfs -o nofdisk,size=20480 /dev/rlofi/1 Construct a new FAT file system on /dev/rlofi/1: (y/n)? y # mount -F pcfs /dev/lofi/1 /mnt # cd /mnt # df -k . Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/lofi/1 10142 0 10142 0% /mnt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of lofiadm: LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE |ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fsck(1M), mount(1M), mount_ufs(1M), newfs(1M), attributes(5), lofi(7D), lofs(7FS) NOTES
Just as you would not directly access a disk device that has mounted file systems, you should not access a file associated with a block device except through the lofi file driver. It might also be appropriate to ensure that the file has appropriate permissions to prevent such access. Associations are not persistant across reboots. A script can be used to re-establish them if required. The abilities of lofiadm, and who can use them, are controlled by the permissions of /dev/lofictl. Read-access allows query operations, such as listing all the associations. Write-access is required to do any state-changing operations, like adding an association. As shipped, /dev/lofictl is owned by root, in group sys, and mode 0644, so all users can do query operations but only root can change any- thing. The administrator can give users write-access, allowing them to add or delete associations, but that is very likely a security hole and should probably only be given to a trusted group. When mounting a filesystem image, take care to use appropriate mount options. In particular, the nosuid mount option might be appropriate for UFS images whose origin is unknown. Also, some options might not be useful or appropriate, like logging or forcedirectio for UFS. For compatibility purposes, a raw device is also exported along with the block device. For example, newfs(1M) requires one. The output of lofiadm (without arguments) might change in future releases. SunOS 5.10 17 Nov 1999 lofiadm(1M)