Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RHEL 5.5 NIC Bonding
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL 5.5 NIC Bonding Post 302768365 by tjcooper on Friday 8th of February 2013 12:00:18 PM
Old 02-08-2013
RHEL 5.5 NIC Bonding

I am new to linux. I have a falconstor CDP installation which runs on RHEL 5.5 (Tikanga). There is a vendor option to bond nics in either 802.3ad or round robin, I choose 802.3ad. The server is connected to a Cisco 3750 switch.

The problem is dropped packets and eth03 wont come up in the PO (suspended). I am getting reports of dropped packets. When I look at the network files, things dont look right. I am not posting this without doing homework, I have spent the last couple days looking into RHEL NIC Bonding. At this point, I need help, before I make the changes I think are necessary. I dont think Eth0 should have an IP and I am not entirely sure what kind of load-balancing RHEL supports.

This is what is on the server

Code:
DEVICE=bond0
IPADDR=192.168.0.27
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
USERCTL=no
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
MTU=1500
BONDING_OPTS="mode=4 miimon=100 updelay=60000"

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
#IPADDR=192.168.0.27
#NETMASK=255.255.255.0
HWADDR=00:23:7d:e1:f8:66
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
MTU=1500
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
#IPADDR=10.0.0.3
#NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet
HWADDR=00:23:7d:e1:f8:68
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
MTU=1500
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes

DEVICE=eth2
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
#IPADDR=10.0.0.4
#NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet
HWADDR=00:23:7d:e1:f8:6a
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
MTU=1500
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes

DEVICE=eth3
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
#IPADDR=10.0.0.5
#NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet
HWADDR=00:23:7d:e1:f8:6c
DHCP_HOSTNAME=
MTU=1500
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes

Modprobe.config
alias bond0 bonding
alias eth0 bnx2
alias eth1 bnx2
alias eth2 bnx2
alias eth3 bnx2
alias scsi_hostadapter cciss
alias scsi_hostadapter1 libata
alias scsi_hostadapter2 ata_piix
options scsi_mod max_luns=1
options sd_mod max_scsi_disks_fs=1
options bonding max_bonds=1
options bond0 miimon=100 mode=4 updelay=60000

CISCO SWITCH

*each port looks like this

Code:
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/5
 switchport access vlan 500
 switchport mode access
 switchport nonegotiate
 channel-group 1 mode active
 spanning-tree portfast
end 
*load-balance

SCHQYADR3750#show etherchannel load-balance
EtherChannel Load-Balancing Operational State (src-mac):
Non-IP: Source MAC address
  IPv4: Source MAC address
  IPv6: Source IP address

Last edited by DukeNuke2; 02-08-2013 at 02:02 PM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

External NIC cards not pinging with each other in RHEL 5.1

We have a setup of two nodes which has two NIC cards in each. One is built in and another is D-Link (external NIC card). We are unable to ping to the external NIC cards in both. Eg: Node A has two IPs 192.168.1.10 (eth0) and 192.168.2.10 (eth1) and Node B has two IPs 192.168.1.20 (eth0) and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies

3. Solaris

x86 Solaris 10 nic driver added but not attached. NIC is not detected.

I couldn't install my nic in solaris 10. I compiled and added the driver but failed to attach the driver and ifconfig output shows only loopback dev. Please see the following output and tell me whether my nic has been detected and why the driver failed to attach? My nic is detected in linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

4. IP Networking

squid proxy: one NIC for inbound & one NIC for outbound?

I am new in squid proxy. My question is how to (and if it's necessary) to set one NIC for inbound traffic (http requests) and one NIC for outbound traffic (http answers)? Thank you in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

I want to tune NIC's rps, rfs and xps value. which NIC device should I modify.

Dear All I want tune my NIC's rps, rfs and xps value. In my system I have two NIC (eth0, eth1) and I have a bond0 ( eth0, eth1). Here is the question? Which device should I modify ? eth0 and eth1? or just modify bond0 or modify all device (eth0, eth1, bond0) Any advice is welcome.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Error throwing while installing vsftpd package in rhel 6. using rhel 6 dvd.

Hi all, Im studying rhcsa as of now, so yum installation and dependencies are messing me to not workit out. i have dual os, win 7 & rhel 6. i have tried this installation of vsftpd package with rhel 6 dvd in VM rhel 6 in win 7 as well as host rhel 6.still the same issue. below error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
6 Replies

7. IP Networking

Is bond0 ready and a bonding interface? - 4G Bonding Router Problems (RPI)

HI all, First post on the forum, and my first proper project on the Paspberry Pi, so sorry if this is in the wrong place. I am trying to turn my Pi in to a 3G/4G Bonding router. I have been researching and trying this for a week or so now. The basic plan is to have up to 6 ZTE MF823 USB... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: elliottlc
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL 6, Spacewalk 2.3 unable to download RHEL 5 repo data

Hello all, I am having a bit of an issue on my Spacewalk installation. Some amplifying information is that it is Spacewalk 2.3 installed on a RHEL 6 machine and I am attempting to install/update a RHEL 5 channel/repository. I am fairly new to Spacewalk so I am still learning but this is what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstone4646
3 Replies

9. Linux

Add two different subnet public IPs to single NIC or two different NIC on same box

Hello Admins, My ask is how can I add two different subnet IPs to same box with two different gateways? The issue is I can connect to the box when I am on ethernet LAN, but I am not able to connect to the same IP when I am on wifi. The server is RHEL 7 VM on vmware. How can I get connected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies
BOND2TEAM(1)						  Bonding to Team conversion tool					      BOND2TEAM(1)

NAME
bond2team -- Converts bonding configuration to team SYNOPSIS
bond2team [options] DESCRIPTION
bond2team is a tool to convert bonding options to team trying as much as possible to keep the original functionality. The resulting files are saved in a temporary directory using ifcfg style by default. In the case of converting an ifcfg file, it translates the bonding options to team, preserving all other options. In that case, it converts the respective slave ifcfg files to team port, pre- serving all their other options too. In case of converting from given bonding options in the command line, the tool can use the specified ports as team ports. OPTIONS
--master <interface> Specify the interface name or ifcfg file to convert. If the interface name is specified, the tool will look at /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ for the respective ifcfg file. --rename <interface> This is a convenient option to replace the original interface name by the specified name. For instance, if --master specifies bond0, it is possible to use --rename team0 to change the final interface name to team0. --ifcfg Set the output format to ifcfg config style. [default] --json Set the output format to JSON style. See teamd.conf(5) for further details. --bonding_opts '<bonding options>' Specify the bonding options to be converted instead of reading them from the ifcfg file. --port <interface> Set the specified interface as a team port. --configdir <directory> Change the ifcfg configuration path from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts to the specified <directory>. --outputdir <directory> Set the output directory to <directory>. --stdout Print the result to the screen instead of writing to files. --debug Increase the debugging level. --quiet Disallow any messages to be printed to console. --version Print tool version to console and exit. --help Print help text to console and exit. --examples Print common usage examples to console and exit. EXAMPLES
To convert the current 'bond0' ifcfg configuration to team ifcfg: # bond2team --master bond0 To convert the current 'bond0' ifcfg configuration to team ifcfg renaming the interface name to 'team0'. Caution : firewall rules, alias interfaces, etc., that might be tied to the original interface name can break after the renaming because the tool will only change the ifcfg file, nothing else. # bond2team --master bond0 --rename team0 To convert given bonding parameters with ports without any ifcfg: # bond2team --bonding_opts 'mode=1 miimon=500 primary=eth1 primary_reselect=0' --port eth1 --port eth2 --port eth3 --port eth4 For more examples, see the option --examples. CAVEATS
The tool will not convert any other configuration which might be tied to the current setup. For instance, firewall rules, alias interfaces, bridges, and so on. AUTHOR
Flavio Leitner is the original author of the tool. Jiri Pirko is the original author and current maintainer of libteam. SEE ALSO
teamd(8), teamdctl(8), teamd.conf(5), teamnl(8) libteam 2013-07-18 BOND2TEAM(1)