Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change partition name in rhel Post 302767997 by lhareigh890 on Thursday 7th of February 2013 10:39:51 PM
Old 02-07-2013
Change partition name in rhel

Can I change the filesystem in redhat w/o reformating it? For example

Code:
/dev/sda2 145G 188M 137G 1% /uo1
/dev/sdb1 289G 191M 274G 1% /uo2
/dev/sdb2 289G 191M 274G 1% /uo3

uo1, uo2, uo3 shuld be u01, u02, u03.

No one is using the server yet.

thanks

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-08-2013 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Red Hat

RHEL 3 - how to change the SNMP community strings?

I have edited the snmpd.conf file on RHEL3, I changed: com2sec notConfigUser default public to : com2sec notConfigUser default new_string_name BUT, when my security guy scans the box, is still answers to public, I restarted snmpd. Is there more to this than just changing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
0 Replies

2. Red Hat

RHEL 5 supports only 2 TB space for a partition !

Dear Friends , I am using Redhat Ent Linux 5.0 with a EMC storage which HDD space is 4 TB. After Installing RHEL 5 , I get 4 TB space available but when I am going to create a partition then the OS show 2TB available space . I cannot create a partition above 2TB space . Is there any limitation... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

Right way to change time for a RHEL server

I had the query of what would be the right approach to change the time on the RHEL server. I have the following ways to do that: 1) # date -s "2 OCT 2006 18:00:00" Or # date --set="2 OCT 2006 18:00:00" 2) # date +%Y%m%d -s "20081128" The second option though would only change... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RHCE
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

Can I change the partition type with fdisk without disrupting data?

Hello, I have been going through our environment and I see we have a few servers with LVM's setup and the file system type is still set to "83" within fdisk. If I change this to "8e", will it hurt the data or cause any loss? I need to know for sure before I make the change. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s ladd
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

Error throwing while installing vsftpd package in rhel 6. using rhel 6 dvd.

Hi all, Im studying rhcsa as of now, so yum installation and dependencies are messing me to not workit out. i have dual os, win 7 & rhel 6. i have tried this installation of vsftpd package with rhel 6 dvd in VM rhel 6 in win 7 as well as host rhel 6.still the same issue. below error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
6 Replies

7. Red Hat

Is it possible to extend a extended partition raw space in harddisk thru rhel 6

hi all, As going thru LVM concepts in rhel 6, got hit with a question about "how to use the raw partition of an harddisk which extended volume is taken a bit" please find the attached diagram... is it possible to use this raw space with previously created extended partition without data... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: redhatlbug
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Nofiles & nproc change on RHEL not taking effect

I am installing a statistical applicaton and for its web components it is a listed requirement that I have soft limits of files (20480) and no of processes (soft t o 10240). I am on RHEL 6.1. As root I made the following changes in /etc/security/limits.conf * soft nproc 10240 * hard nproc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsheikh01
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can i change the ip address in RHEL 6?

I need to change the ip address in RHEL 6 . Please tell me the files to be edited....complete procedure.......... Don't tell the graphical method ........ Explain everything in CLI ........... Thanks in Advance:b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

RHEL 6, Spacewalk 2.3 unable to download RHEL 5 repo data

Hello all, I am having a bit of an issue on my Spacewalk installation. Some amplifying information is that it is Spacewalk 2.3 installed on a RHEL 6 machine and I am attempting to install/update a RHEL 5 channel/repository. I am fairly new to Spacewalk so I am still learning but this is what I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jstone4646
3 Replies
FINDFS(8)						       System Administration							 FINDFS(8)

NAME
findfs - find a filesystem by label or UUID SYNOPSIS
findfs NAME=value DESCRIPTION
findfs will search the block devices in the system looking for a filesystem or partition with specified tag. The currently supported tags are: LABEL=<label> Specifies filesystem label. UUID=<uuid> Specifies filesystem UUID. PARTUUID=<uuid> Specifies partition UUID. This partition identifier is supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) partition tables. PARTLABEL=<label> Specifies partition label (name). The partition labels are supported for example for GUID Partition Table (GPT) or MAC partition tables. If the filesystem or partition is found, the device name will be printed on stdout. The complete overview about filesystems and partitions you can get for example by lsblk --fs partx --show <disk> blkid EXIT STATUS
0 success 1 label or uuid cannot be found 2 usage error, wrong number of arguments or unknown option AUTHOR
findfs was originally written by Theodore Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> and re-written for the util-linux package by Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>. ENVIRONMENT
LIBBLKID_DEBUG=all enables libblkid debug output. SEE ALSO
blkid(8), lsblk(8), partx(8) AVAILABILITY
The findfs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils /util-linux/>. util-linux March 2014 FINDFS(8)