Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Executing profile from any directory other than $HOME Post 302767695 by -=XrAy=- on Thursday 7th of February 2013 08:54:20 AM
Old 02-07-2013
You can parse ("run") a profile with
Code:
. /path_to_profile/.profile

but you need read permission on this file!
This User Gave Thanks to -=XrAy=- For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executing .profile

AIX 4.3.3 I am having trouble when logging into the system as userA. It does not seem that the $HOME/.profile is executing. I have checked to make sure the .profile exists in userA's home directory, belongs to userA, and has the file permissions 740. I know the .profile is not being executed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing .profile with ssh

Hi, How do I get all my profile settings when connecting with ssh? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing .profile from perl script

Hi, How can i execute .profile from a perl script I need this - i am trying to run perl script from crontab and it looses the environment variables Please provide help Your help is greatly appreciated Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prekida
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo $PATH doesn't match $HOME/.profile

This is on a Solaris 9 box, but I feel like a noob, so I am posting here. When I echo $PATH I get a lot of duplicate paths and extra stuff I don't need. What I want is just what I set up in my home dir under .profile My login shell=/bin/bash I checked the following and there are no path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Veestan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restrict one user to see only his home directory in his profile

Hi I need to restrict one user to see only his home directory and one more directory how i can do this in his profile. The OS is Red hat linux I create a user -- tec and group calle --tec one the user log in he will see /home/tec and he need to see /opt/load this dirctory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting home as lin in user profile

Hi. I have a directory structure built with links. For example: /home/user1 is a link to /var/123/user1 can i set the home variable in the .profile of the user to use a link? or it has to be a "real" directory? tks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] $HOME/.profile

what is the functionality of $HOME/.profile? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: momhef4
4 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
kgmon(8)							    Unsupported 							  kgmon(8)

Name
       kgmon - generate a dump of the operating system's profile buffers

Syntax
       /etc/kgmon [ options ] [ system ] [ memory ]

Description
       The command is used when profiling the operating system.  When no arguments are supplied, indicates the state of operating system profiling
       as running, off, or not configured.  For further information, see If the option is specified, extracts profile data from the operating sys-
       tem and produces a file suitable for later analysis by

The  file  is first converted to a format suitable for by using the filter. The command dumps the kernel profiling data for all the proces-
       sors in the system. The command is used to create a file suitable for analysis by for any or all the processors in the system.

Options
       -b   Resumes the collection of profile data.

-h   Stops the collection of profile data.

-p   Dumps the contents of the profile buffers into a file.

-r   Resets all the profile buffers.  If the option is also specified, the file is generated before the buffers are reset.

If neither nor is specified, the state of profiling collection remains unchanged.  For example, if the option is specified and profile data
       is  being  collected,  profiling  will be momentarily suspended, the operating system profile buffers will be dumped, and profiling will be
       immediately resumed.

Diagnostics
       Users with only read permission on cannot change the state of profiling collection.  They can get a file with the warning that the data may
       be inconsistent if profiling is in progress.

Files
       Default system

Default memory

See Also
       gprof(1), config(8), kgconv(8)

kgmon(8)