Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Executing profile from any directory other than $HOME Post 302767643 by SKhan on Thursday 7th of February 2013 07:24:42 AM
Old 02-07-2013
IBM Executing profile from any directory other than $HOME

Is there a way to run the profile which is not in $HOME directory? then whats the command for that?

Last edited by Scott; 02-07-2013 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Nothing to do with AIX. Thread moved

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

executing .profile

AIX 4.3.3 I am having trouble when logging into the system as userA. It does not seem that the $HOME/.profile is executing. I have checked to make sure the .profile exists in userA's home directory, belongs to userA, and has the file permissions 740. I know the .profile is not being executed... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalburger
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

executing .profile with ssh

Hi, How do I get all my profile settings when connecting with ssh? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rein
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing .profile from perl script

Hi, How can i execute .profile from a perl script I need this - i am trying to run perl script from crontab and it looses the environment variables Please provide help Your help is greatly appreciated Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prekida
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

echo $PATH doesn't match $HOME/.profile

This is on a Solaris 9 box, but I feel like a noob, so I am posting here. When I echo $PATH I get a lot of duplicate paths and extra stuff I don't need. What I want is just what I set up in my home dir under .profile My login shell=/bin/bash I checked the following and there are no path... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Veestan
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restrict one user to see only his home directory in his profile

Hi I need to restrict one user to see only his home directory and one more directory how i can do this in his profile. The OS is Red hat linux I create a user -- tec and group calle --tec one the user log in he will see /home/tec and he need to see /opt/load this dirctory... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting home as lin in user profile

Hi. I have a directory structure built with links. For example: /home/user1 is a link to /var/123/user1 can i set the home variable in the .profile of the user to use a link? or it has to be a "real" directory? tks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] $HOME/.profile

what is the functionality of $HOME/.profile? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: momhef4
4 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
profile(4)							   File Formats 							profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.11 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)