Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed to insert a character
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to insert a character Post 302767395 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 6th of February 2013 08:15:26 PM
Old 02-06-2013
Use '&' to insert matched string:

Code:
sed 's/^[0-9]/#&/'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I insert character to end of file?

Hello all How can I insert character to the end of text file without opening it in vi Just simple one liner, can it be done? Tnx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert character in the line

Hi All, I have below type file. abc|asd|pqr|2|2|2 asc|qwe|scf|5|4|4 Pipe location and count is dynamic and coming from a variable. I want to change it to below files. (chnage the first pipe to 3 pipes) abc|||asd|pqr|2|2|2 asc|||qwe|scf|5|4|4 (chnage the second pipe to 4 pipes)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swat
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert character in particular position.

I want to insert space in 7th position of all the lines usign vi editor or sed command Input file 12345689010 abcdefghijk . . Output file 123456 89010 abcdef ghijk . . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a character before a line

I have a file and I can get the line with a specific pattern. I want to inset # on start of the line. file.text ==== aa bb cc bb hh kk kk ll yy dd aa kk rr tt aa I want to comment out the line with contain "aa" after running the script file.text ==== #aa bb cc bb hh kk kk ll... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Biplab
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert New Line Character

Hi, If my first character of a line starts with 2 then after 5th charecter newline character should be inserted. Input.txt: a1234567890 2222300007 bsdfsdf888999999 ssdfkjskfdjskfdjd 2899900000000099999999999999 28887777 999999999999999999 Output.txt: a1234567890 22223 00007... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: unme
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert sign every n character (awk)

Hi, For example, I would like to insert a pipe every 4 characters for each second field (including after the last block). input (coma separated): line1,AAAABBBBCCCCDDDDEEEE line2,FFFFGGGGHHHHIIIIJJJJ output: line1,AAAA|BBBB|CCCC|DDDD|EEEE| line2,FFFF|GGGG|HHHH|IIII|JJJJ| my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or traili

Hi, Anyone can help using SED searches a character string for a specified delimiter character, and returns a leading or trailing space/blank. Text file : "1"|"ExternalClassDEA519CF5"|"Art1" "2"|"ExternalClass563EA516C"|"Art3" "3"|"ExternalClass305ED16B8"|"Art9" ... ... ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert new line after a specific character in scripts?

Hi, I'm trying to add a new line after finding a specific String. That is my string: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html and I want to change that file to: volumes: - ${DIR_WORK}/loadbalancer/html:/var/www/html extra_hosts: -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siamak
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use sed to insert character in the beginning of file path?

I need to manipulate one Database file on Solaris 11 in which contains more than 5000 lines of data file path like this: '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/system01.dbf', '/data7/oradata/DBNAME/undotbs1_01.dbf', '/data1/oradata/DBNAME/sysaux01.dbf', '/data28/oradata/DBNAME/userdata01.dbf', ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
6 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)