Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to tar this dir excluding some files .au? Post 302766895 by Chubler_XL on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 09:48:59 PM
Old 02-05-2013
As your on redhat you probably have GNU tar so you could use the --exclude option:

Code:
tar cvf myArchive.tar --exclude='*.au' /var/spool/cron/crontabs

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

excluding directories while using tar

How do I exclude some directories while creating a tar file with a number of directories? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uchachra
2 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

tar backup with excluding some folders

Hi , I want to backup the root file system but the size of / is very huge so I want to exclude some file systems.Man page of tar says X option excludes files but I could not do that.I use this command $ tar -cvf deneme.tar -X exc . $ cat exc sql kkm I think there... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kudret_gulcan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Excluding files using tar cXzf

Hi All, I'm having trouble with creating a compressed tar file with tar cXzfv and even with normal cvXf I created a simple test below.. can anyone spot the mistake I'm making??.. its driving me up the wall.. In the end I need a compressed tarball.... Thanks in advance!! Sam ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampipe
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

excluding directories in tar

In a bash script I am writing I am having a problem excluding selected directories from tar. From the machine $SERVER I issue the command #start netcat on storage server gnetcat -l -vv -p 2011 >$FILEPATH/$SHORT_NAME.$today.tar & The the following command is then sent to the $CLIENT. #start... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thumper
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating tar excluding links

hi, How do i create a tar file of a directory excluding the links in that particular directory and its sub-directories. The below command doesnt work for me. tar -cvf abc.tar /dir1 --exclude"^l" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yesmani
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help writing rm script excluding specific titled dir

I am attempting to write a housecleaning script that does the following: 1) goes to a specific directory 2) deletes all contents of that directory but a specific directory within it. So my users all keep and use the Shared directory in OSX. Within /Users/Shared there are also standard named... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nomados
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Excluding a file from tar...

The title is not as easy as it sounds.... I am trying to exclude and file while ssh and untaring the file on the fly. The command I am using is... The command typically works but recently I've add the X option along with the exclude file. Essentially, the exclude file is being ignored when run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwif
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Excluding file from tar

Hello i am using HP-UX rapdb2 B.11.23 U ia64 1068321383 unlimited-user license. I am tryiyng to exclude for tar all files that start with TOT* but i doues not work I am using: tar -cvf /ODS/prepaid/CDR_FLOW/WORK/backup.tar --exclude='TOT*' and i get the error: tar: cannot stat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List files older that 7 days in a dir, excluding all subdirs

Hi, I would like to list all files, older than 7 days, in a directory, but exclude all subdirectories in the find command. If I use find . -type f -mtime +7 all files in the subdirs are also included. How can I exclude them? Regards, JW (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwbijl
6 Replies

10. AIX

Excluding directory in my tar Backup

Hello AIX experts. Hope this topic finds you well :) Now, I will take a backup for a directory called medcbs. Inside this directory 1 subdirectory I don't want to include it in the backup. So, how to exclude it? To be more clear, take a look to the following: /bossapp1/medcbs>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohannad
4 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 03/15/2010 BF_TAR(1)