Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with iostat
Operating Systems AIX Help with iostat Post 302766869 by oracledba1024 on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 03:18:56 PM
Old 02-05-2013
Thanks that's really cool.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

iostat output what is that mean

Hi all, i have run iostat -em, and get below result. Can i know what is this output meaning, and how to fix that problem. iostat -em ---- errors --- device s/w h/w trn tot sd7 0 1 0 1 sd8 1 1 0 2 sd9 0 1 0 1 sd10 0 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foongkt5220
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Help with iostat ...

All, I am attempting to help tune a Sun for better performance (mainly for SAS 9.1), and have found indicators pointing to poor I/O utilization. I have run iostat -cx, and found one device in particular where the %w is in the 90's during processing. I have a feeling that this is where the SAS... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies

3. AIX

how to identified this iostat value

Hi All AIX expert i'm using AIX 5.2 When i execute this command which is : ---------------------------------------------------------------------- >> iostat -a System configuration: lcpu=4 disk=30 tty: tin tout avg-cpu: % user % sys % idle % iowait ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
2 Replies

4. Solaris

iostat -Eni

Sorry for asking basics. What exactly is the situation if device ID is same in iostat -Eni. What we must do then? Is there any relation b/w iostat and cfgadm? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mayahari
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

iostat on solaris

Friends. I have to compare iostat -x output with a tool on solaris. Now there is column called wait in the output field which is showing zero. Now, in order to create some load on my system this is what i am doing I am creating a file using dd command , the size of which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achak01
5 Replies

6. Red Hat

iostat on Redhat 5

A find for the "iostat" command on a redhat 5 update 4 comes back with no results. Any separate rpm needs to be installed to get the binary for this ? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uxadmin007
1 Replies

7. Solaris

iostat -En errors

I all, I would like to know what are the causes of : -soft error -harderror -transport error and how to avoid and repare them. I got the iostat out put below: atng-mm01% iostat -En | grep -i hard c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 1 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 c0t0d1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaza
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transport errors in iostat

Hi Unix experts, I have a question regarding a disk failure seen in "iostat -Enm" output: # iostat -Enm c1t0d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 7 Transport Errors: 9 Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAU3073NCSUN72G Revision: 0802 Serial No: 0514F005M0 Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes> Media... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IOSTAT monitoring

Does anyone have an example of IOSTAT -eE in a script??????? Need to see the syntax in a script (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: walnutpony123
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to use IOSTAT command

Hello everyone, Can you please explain me what kind of information do IOSTAT show ? iostat -xnz 3 show me those informations: The I/O of the c0t0d0 disk is normal ? extended device statistics r/s w/s kr/s kw/s wait actv wsvc_t asvc_t %w %b device 0.0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
3 Replies
IOSTAT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 IOSTAT(8)

NAME
iostat -- report I/O statistics SYNOPSIS
iostat [-CdKIoT?] [-c count] [-n devs] [-w wait] [drives] DESCRIPTION
Iostat displays kernel I/O statistics on terminal, device and cpu operations. The first statistics that are printed are averaged over the system uptime. To get information about the current activity, a suitable wait time should be specified, so that the subsequent sets of printed statistics will be averaged over that time. The options are as follows: -c Repeat the display count times. If no wait interval is specified, the default is 1 second. -C Display CPU statistics. This is on by default, unless -d is specified. -d Display only device statistics. If this flag is turned on, only device statistics will be displayed, unless -C or -T is also specfied to enable the display of CPU or TTY statistics. -I Display total statstics for a given time period, rather than average statistics for each second during that time period. -K In the blocks transferred display (-o), display block count in kilobytes rather then the device native block size. -n Display up to devs number of devices. iostat will display fewer devices if there aren't devs devices present. -o Display old-style iostat device statistics. Sectors per second, transfers per second, and miliseconds per seek are displayed. If -I is specified, total blocks/sectors, total transfers, and miliseconds per seek are displayed. -T Display TTY statistics. This is on by default, unless -d is specified. -w Pause wait seconds between each display. If no repeat count is specified, the default is infinity. -? Display a usage statement and exit. Iostat displays its information in the following format: tty tin characters read from terminals tout characters written to terminals devices Device operations. The header of the field is the device name and unit number. iostat will display as many devices as will fit in a standard 80 column screen, or the maximum number of devices in the system, whichever is smaller. If -n is specified on the command line, iostat will display the smaller of the requested number of devices, and the maximum number of devices in the system. To force iostat to display specific drives, their names may be supplied on the command line. iostat will not display more devices than will fit in an 80 column screen, unless the -n argument is given on the command line to specify a maximum number of devices to display, or the list of specified devices exceeds 80 columns. If fewer devices are specified on the command line than will fit in an 80 column screen, iostat will show only the specified devices. The standard iostat device display shows the following statistics: KB/t kilobytes per transfer tps transfers per second MB/s megabytes per second The standard iostat device display, with the -I flag specified, shows the following statistics: KB/t kilobytes per transfer xfrs total number of transfers MB total number of megabytes transferred The old-style iostat display (using -o) shows the following statistics: sps sectors transferred per second tps transfers per second msps average milliseconds per transaction The old-style iostat display, with the -I flag specified, shows the following statistics: blk total blocks/sectors transferred xfr total transfers msps average milliseconds per transaction cpu us % of cpu time in user mode sy % of cpu time in system mode id % of cpu time in idle mode EXAMPLES
iostat -w 1 disk0 disk2 Display statistics for the first and third disk devices device every second ad infinitum. iostat -c 2 Display the statistics for the first four devices in the system twice, with a one second display interval. iostat -Iw 3 Display total statistics every three seconds ad infinitum. iostat -odICTw 2 -c 9 Display total statistics using the old-style output format 9 times, with a two second interval between each measurement/display. The -d flag generally disables the TTY and CPU displays, but since the -T and -C flags are given, the TTY and CPU displays will be displayed. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), netstat(1), nfsstat(1), ps(1), pstat(8), The sections starting with ``Interpreting system activity'' in Installing and Operating 4.3BSD. HISTORY
This version of iostat first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0. BSD
September 27, 2001 BSD