Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: importvg question
Operating Systems AIX importvg question Post 302766727 by zaxxon on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 08:19:32 AM
Old 02-05-2013
The reminder vanishes in a month.

When the LVs already exist, you will always have to rename them, either by the automatic mechanism you described or by yourself manually before doing the import.
Anyway, you should be able to read the LV names the way I have described before the import.

If it is a cluster, VG names and LV names have to be unique in the whole cluster. If it is a kind of rescue import, maybe choose some test box to avoid a mess up of names.

If you can get the ODM files from a restore of the box where this PV/VG originally belonged too, you could get it from there by examining the ODM files.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Question?

what is WDFP and WE STATION? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billybayou
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question

hi guys.. I'm just wondering, everytime I go to a unix dictionary to get the definition of things such as $ and >& i dont get results back.. could you give me any link that has these simple definitions or could you tell me what $ means? or >&? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamoudiii
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one more question

I completely forgot this I am thinking of getting the book UNIX for dummies as a help to understand this class. Does anyone out there have this book? Is it helpful? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cinnamonbear
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

got a question

on of the question that I have is that in class . We were asked this question **What command would you use to list the last modification time of all files in /tmp whose filenames end in exactly two digits? I know that we need to to ls /tmp/ ??.... but I did not know how to find that last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xzyan
2 Replies

5. AIX

nooB questions on importvg and exportvg

I don't understand the concept behind importvg and exportvg. What are some examples of when one would use this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: outtacontrol
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in ls question

Greetings, I have a script that uses this syntax: for i in `ls *.pll` do echo Compiling Lib $i ..... frmcmp.sh userid=$LOGON module_type=LIBRARY module=$i compile_all=yes batch=yes done mv *.pll ../libs mv *.plx ../libs mv *.err ../libs If there are no files that match though I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdbhouse
9 Replies

7. AIX

Unable to execute varyonvg during importvg

Hello, On Aix 5.3, during importvg, the varyonvg fails: importvg -y vgtest hdisk20 0516-013 varyonvg: The volume group cannot be varied on because there are no good copies of the descriptor area. When i use manually the command varyonvg -u -b -t vgtest to force, the vg can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
3 Replies

8. AIX

Exportvg/importvg causes corrupt LV Control Block

Hi experts, Power7 p720 AIX 6.1 This is what happened: $ sudo importvg -y v7000_1vg hdisk6 0516-622 synclvodm: Warning, cannot write lv control block data. 0516-622 synclvodm: Warning, cannot write lv control block data. 0516-622 synclvodm: Warning, cannot write lv control block data.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: livehho
9 Replies
VGIMPORTCLONE(8)					      System Manager's Manual						  VGIMPORTCLONE(8)

NAME
       vgimportclone - import and rename duplicated volume group (e.g. a hardware snapshot)

SYNOPSIS
       vgimportclone [-n|--basevgname VolumeGroupName] [-i|--import] PhysicalVolume [PhysicalVolume...]

DESCRIPTION
       vgimportclone is used to import a duplicated VG (e.g. hardware snapshot).  Duplicate VG(s) and PV(s) are not able to be used until they are
       made to coexist with the origin VG(s) and PV(s).  vgimportclone renames the VG associated with the specified PV(s) and changes the  associ-
       ated VG and PV UUIDs.

OPTIONS
       See lvm for common options.

-n|--basevgname VolumeGroupName
	      By  default  the	snapshot  VG  will be renamed to the original name plus a numeric suffix to avoid duplicate naming (e.g. 'test_vg'
	      would be renamed to 'test_vg1').	This option will override the base VG name that is used for all  VG  renames.	If  a  VG  already
	      exists with the specified name a numeric suffix will be added (like the previous example) to make it unique.

-i|--import
	      Import exported Volume Groups.  Otherwise VGs that have been exported will not be changed (nor will their associated PVs).

ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
       LVM_BINARY
	      The LVM2 binary to use.  Defaults to "lvm".

EXAMPLES
       The  origin VG vg00 has origin PVs /dev/sda and /dev/sdb and the respective snapshot PVs are /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd.  To rename the VG asso-
       ciated with /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd from vg00 to vg00_snap (and to change associated VG and PV UUIDs) do:

vgimportclone --basevgname vg00_snap /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

SEE ALSO
       lvm(8)

Red Hat, Inc.						 LVM TOOLS 2.02.95(2) (2012-03-06)					  VGIMPORTCLONE(8)