Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: importvg question
Operating Systems AIX importvg question Post 302766695 by zaxxon on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 06:53:30 AM
Old 02-05-2013
The VG name is stored in the ODM, not on a disk. On the disk is only the VGDA which has the VGID stored.

You can use the following to read the VGDA before importing it:
Code:
lqueryvg -tcAp <hdisk>

It reads all information about the VGDA directly from the disk.

There is a part starting with "Logical:" which shows the LVs on this disk. The long number is the VGID, at least the part before the dot.

Why do you need to use the VG name from the former disk? To check the contents of the disk you could always import it with any name but a VG name that already exists.

Last edited by zaxxon; 02-05-2013 at 07:59 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Question?

what is WDFP and WE STATION? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: billybayou
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question

hi guys.. I'm just wondering, everytime I go to a unix dictionary to get the definition of things such as $ and >& i dont get results back.. could you give me any link that has these simple definitions or could you tell me what $ means? or >&? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hamoudiii
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

one more question

I completely forgot this I am thinking of getting the book UNIX for dummies as a help to understand this class. Does anyone out there have this book? Is it helpful? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cinnamonbear
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

got a question

on of the question that I have is that in class . We were asked this question **What command would you use to list the last modification time of all files in /tmp whose filenames end in exactly two digits? I know that we need to to ls /tmp/ ??.... but I did not know how to find that last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xzyan
2 Replies

5. AIX

nooB questions on importvg and exportvg

I don't understand the concept behind importvg and exportvg. What are some examples of when one would use this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: outtacontrol
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

for i in ls question

Greetings, I have a script that uses this syntax: for i in `ls *.pll` do echo Compiling Lib $i ..... frmcmp.sh userid=$LOGON module_type=LIBRARY module=$i compile_all=yes batch=yes done mv *.pll ../libs mv *.plx ../libs mv *.err ../libs If there are no files that match though I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjdbhouse
9 Replies

7. AIX

Unable to execute varyonvg during importvg

Hello, On Aix 5.3, during importvg, the varyonvg fails: importvg -y vgtest hdisk20 0516-013 varyonvg: The volume group cannot be varied on because there are no good copies of the descriptor area. When i use manually the command varyonvg -u -b -t vgtest to force, the vg can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
3 Replies

8. AIX

Exportvg/importvg causes corrupt LV Control Block

Hi experts, Power7 p720 AIX 6.1 This is what happened: $ sudo importvg -y v7000_1vg hdisk6 0516-622 synclvodm: Warning, cannot write lv control block data. 0516-622 synclvodm: Warning, cannot write lv control block data. 0516-622 synclvodm: Warning, cannot write lv control block data.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: livehho
9 Replies
vgexport(1M)															      vgexport(1M)

NAME
vgexport - export an LVM volume group and its associated logical volumes SYNOPSIS
mapfile] outfile] vg_name mapfile vg_name DESCRIPTION
Using the format of the first command line of the above, the command can be used to remove a volume group from the system. The volume group will be removed without modifying the logical volume information found on the physical volumes. The volume group identified by vg_name is removed from the or file, and the associated device files including the vg_name directory and file are removed from the system. The volume group information and data is untouched on the physical volume. These disks can be imported to another system with the command (see vgimport(1M)). Scan Option Using the format of the second command line of the above, the command generates a mapfile that can be copied to other systems that are part of a high availability cluster (use the option if you do not want to remove the volume group from the system the command is being run from) and the command (see vgimport(1M)) can be used to recreate the volume group. See also vgchange(1M). The mapfile contains a description of the volume group and its associated logical volume(s) (if any). The logical volume information found on the physical volumes is not modi- fied. Options and Arguments recognizes the following options and arguments: vg_name The path name of the volume group. By default, a file named is created in the current directory. This file contains a description of the volume group and its associated logical volume(s) (if any). Use this option to specify a different name for the file, mapfile. This file can be used as input to (see vgimport(1M)). When used with the option, the volume group specified in the mapfile can be shared with other systems in the high availability cluster. Preview the actions to be taken but do not update the or file or remove the devices file. This option is best used in conjunction with the option. Print verbose messages including the names of the physical volumes associated with this volume group. Scan option. When the option is specified, then the options must also be specified. A mapfile is created that can be used to cre- ate volume group entries on other systems in the high availability cluster (with the command). Write the current set of pv_paths for the volume group to the outfile. The outfile may then be used as the infile for the option. If used together with the option the volume group is not exported but the list of pv_paths is still written to the outfile. This may be useful to derive a list of pv_paths for the volume group or to use on another system which is sharing the volume group and which has an identical configuration. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Export the volume group into mapfile The volume group will be removed from the exporting system. Export the volume group and write the disk names into the file Create a mapfile to be copied to other systems in a high availability cluster to build the volume group information for the volume group, Note that the volume group is not removed from the exporting system. The importing systems will create the volume group with the command using the and options. SEE ALSO
vgimport(1M), vgscan(1M). vgexport(1M)