Sponsored Content
Operating Systems SCO Changing MAC address in SCO 5.0.6 Post 302766635 by hicksd8 on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 05:40:25 AM
Old 02-05-2013
As far as I know, there is no easy way to change the MAC address of a SCO box. (You do mean the MAC address and not the IP address?)

I think that you can download and install a patch for this.

Perhaps other forum members will know more.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing MAC address of a NIC

All, I have a need to software change the MAC address of a NIC in a Sparc Ultra 10 - I believe there is a command that allows to do this at boot up? Is it a missing (to me) part of ifconfig ? If so, what is the syntax? All replies gratefully received ! Thanks Andrew (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wretch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Changing IP address

Hi, I am going to shift my Unix workstation to another lab. So I need to change the IP address. Please tell me how to change the Network IP address, what is the commands, what to take care? Thank you very much and have a very nice day. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

How to Achive IP address through MAC(Ethernet) address

Hi sir, i want to make such programe which takes MAC(Ethernet) address of any host & give me its IP address....... but i'm nt getting that how i can pass the MAC address to Frame........ Please give me an idea for making such program... Thanks & regards Krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnacins
3 Replies

4. IP Networking

Changing the ip address

Help me save my Unix box. I've had this Unix box (Enterprise 450) for about 7 years now. It was being used as a file server for a Macintosh Prepress department. All of our networking was done through Helios Etharshare. I am still currently up and online (however the location has changed). Our ip... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ubed
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

changing MAC address

hi, i wanted to know how to change the MAC id of the machine i`m using.. I know the MAC is permanent n on the ROM, but i wanted to know if there was any way to change it during tht particular session.. also.. if it was possible.. could it be kept changed for sometime...? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: caltiger
8 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Changing IP address

Hi ,,, i just come across this forum and i make it a must to be pay a visit here everyday and through it am learning a lots of things which am sure i will be able to share later... So i have a prob with my pc when i try to change my Ip address in the dos command using ipconfig command i got a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lutchumaya
1 Replies

7. Programming

SCO get MAC Address

Does anyone know how to get the mac address of a SCO box using c. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcarter2333
11 Replies

8. AIX

changing ip address

Hi, I am using aix 5300-07, I am facing strange issue in aix. I have changed the ip address and gateway of aix server , it is showing the right ip address but it is taking old gateway ip address. I have used netstat -r command and found it is showing 2 Default gateway. I want to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
2 Replies

9. IP Networking

Tracing a MAC address to IP address: Solaris

Hi there I lost connectivity to one of our remote systems and when I checked the messages log I found the following: Aug 10 23:42:34 host xntpd: time reset (step) 1.681729 s Aug 16 13:20:51 host ip: WARNING: node "mac address" is using our IP address x.x.x.x on aggr1 Aug 16 13:20:51 host... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
9 Replies

10. IP Networking

MAC Address - Four Interfaces with the same MAC Address

four interfaces with ifconfig all interfaces have the same mac. If is not set for unique. but it still works. what difference does it make to have all macs the same or different? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrodgers
4 Replies
ARPWATCH(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       ARPWATCH(8)

NAME
arpwatch - keep track of ethernet/ip address pairings SYNOPSIS
arpwatch [ -dN ] [ -f datafile ] [ -i interface ] [ -n net[/width ]] [ -r file ] [ -u username ] [ -e username ] [ -s username ] DESCRIPTION
Arpwatch keeps track for MAC/IP address pairings. It syslogs activity and reports certain changes via email. Arpwatch uses pcap(3) to lis- ten for arp packets on a local ethernet/tokenring/fddi interface. The -d flag is used enable debugging. This also inhibits forking into the background and emailing the reports. Instead, they are sent to stderr. The -f flag is used to set the MAC/IP address database filename. The default is arp.dat. The -i flag is used to override the default interface. The -n flag specifies additional local networks. This can be useful to avoid "bogon" warnings when there is more than one network running on the same wire. If the optional width is not specified, the default netmask for the network's class is used. The -N flag disables reporting any bogons. The -r flag is used to specify a savefile (perhaps created by tcpdump(1) or pcapture(1)) to read from instead of reading from the network. In this case, arpwatch does not fork. If -u flag is used, arpwatch drops root privileges and changes user ID to username and group ID to that of the primary group of username. This is recommended for security reasons. If the -e flag is used, arpwatch sends e-mail messages to username rather than the default (root). If a single `-' character is given for the username, sending of e-mail is suppressed, but logging via syslog is still done as usual. (This can be useful during initial runs, to collect data without being flooded with messages about new stations.) If the -s flag is used, arpwatch sends e-mail messages with username as the return address, rather than the default (root). Note that an empty arp.dat file must be created before the first time you run arpwatch. Also, the default directory (where arp.dat is stored) must be owned by username if -u flag is used. REPORT MESSAGES
Here's a quick list of the report messages generated by arpwatch(1) (and arpsnmp(1)): new activity This MAC/IP address pair has been used for the first time six months or more. new station The MAC address has not been seen before. flip flop The MAC address has changed from the most recently seen address to the second most recently seen address. (If either the old or new MAC address is a DECnet address and it is less than 24 hours, the email version of the report is suppressed.) changed MAC address The host switched to a new MAC address. SYSLOG MESSAGES
Here are some of the syslog messages; note that messages that are reported are also sysloged. MAC broadcast The MAC address of the host is a broadcast address. ip broadcast The ip address of the host is a broadcast address. bogon The source ip address is not local to the local subnet. MAC broadcast The source MAC address was all ones or all zeros. MAC mismatch The source MAC address didn't match the address inside the arp packet. reused old MAC address The MAC address has changed from the most recently seen address to the third (or greater) least recently seen address. (This is similar to a flip flop.) suppressed DECnet flip flop A "flip flop" report was suppressed because one of the two addresses was a DECnet address. FILES
/usr/operator/arpwatch - default directory arp.dat - MAC/IP address database ethercodes.dat - vendor ethernet block list SEE ALSO
arpsnmp(8), arp(8), bpf(4), tcpdump(1), pcapture(1), pcap(3) AUTHORS
Craig Leres of the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Network Research Group, University of California, Berkeley, CA. The current version is available via anonymous ftp: ftp://ftp.ee.lbl.gov/arpwatch.tar.gz BUGS
Please send bug reports to arpwatch@ee.lbl.gov. Attempts are made to suppress DECnet flip flops but they aren't always successful. Most error messages are posted using syslog. 4th Berkeley Distribution 8 October 2000 ARPWATCH(8)