Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Assigning variables
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assigning variables Post 302766615 by Arun Mishra on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 05:10:55 AM
Old 02-05-2013
thanks for the reply,

Can you explain what eval does here? and why you put \?
why is it a security risk? and if there is any other way you suggest as i need to have this variable from input only.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning variables

Before I even attempt this, is it possible to grep for a pattern, maybe a partial sentence like "go to page 3", assign that to a variable and then use awk or something to pull out the 3 and assign it to a variable? So first I would have Gotopg = "go to page 3" then page = 3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning variables in sed command

I need to assign a variable within a variable in a sed command. I tried doing the following in c shell. set left = 1 set right = 2 set segment = qwerty sed -n -e "/$segment{$left}/,/$segment{$right}/p" file.txt what is wrong with this syntax? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxornot
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

assigning variables to their defaults

Hi, Is there any way to assign defaults values to the shell variables without reassigning them ( restarting the session) for example after login the value of ORACLE_HOME=/a/b/c i have changed this value from the console export ORACLE_HOME=/c/d now what if i want the value exported to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: clx
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables not assigning in a function

Hi GUYS, I have function. I am assigning a line count to count variable. But it is throwing an error at this line. function_recur (){ #file being created in this function lenth = `wc -l function_outpu.dat`; echo $lenth; } this is the error i got rec.ksh: lenth: not found. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Assigning variables using awk

Hi, I am having a line which is separated by - I need to extract each field and put into some variable. a=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $1}' ` b=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $2}' ` c=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk -F- '{print $3}' ` d=`echo "this-is-the-case" | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: posix
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning expression value to tcsh variables

Hi All, I have a tcsh script as: #!/usr/bin/csh -x set packsName=$(awk -F'' '/^execute.*=true/{print $2}' ExecutePacks.config) for var in $packsName do echo "printed $var" done I want to assign the value which is returned by awk function to the variable called packsName. How do I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AB10
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reading and assigning variables

Hi Gurus, I have a file named log with 2 lines Each line is a file name. eg $ cat log monday tuesday I need to read log and assign each output(filename) to a different variable. The following doesn't work:- while read A B do echo " a is ${A} " echo " b is ${B} " done <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisdom
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in assigning values to variables from the file

Hi! This might be a simple thing, but I'm struggling to assign values to variables from the file. I've the following values stored in the file.. It consists of only two rows.. 10 20 I want to assign the first row value to variable "n1" and the second row value to variable "n2".. That is ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abk07
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Variables

Hi, Can the below be clarified please. i just want to know what is the difference between the two ways of assigning variables as mentioned below. export SRC_TBL=${SRC_TBL-"MMA_COPAY_PLN_FACT_STG"} export SRC_TBL="MMA_COPAY_PLN_FACT_STG" thanks in advance :) Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Arun Mishra
1 Replies
eval(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  eval(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
eval - Evaluate a Tcl script SYNOPSIS
eval arg ?arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Eval takes one or more arguments, which together comprise a Tcl script containing one or more commands. Eval concatenates all its argu- ments in the same fashion as the concat command, passes the concatenated string to the Tcl interpreter recursively, and returns the result of that evaluation (or any error generated by it). Note that the list command quotes sequences of words in such a way that they are not further expanded by the eval command. EXAMPLE
This procedure acts in a way that is analogous to the lappend command, except it inserts the argument values at the start of the list in the variable: proc lprepend {varName args} { upvar 1 $varName var # Ensure that the variable exists and contains a list lappend var # Now we insert all the arguments in one go set var [eval [list linsert $var 0] $args] } KEYWORDS
concatenate, evaluate, script SEE ALSO
catch(1T), concat(1T), error(1T), list(1T), subst(1T), tclvars(1T) ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl eval(1T)