Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Swapping a string of numbers between higher and lower order values(HEX) Post 302766593 by vivek d r on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 04:37:30 AM
Old 02-05-2013
Thanks a lot Scrutinizer.. the command works good :-)

@pamu.. thanks but that code is reversing the whole string and not higher value to lower value. but thanks anyway :-)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh and hex numbers

typeset -i A=16#0 typeset -u A=$a y=${A#16#} This converted $a to hex and stored it in y. Can someone walk me through how this was done? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamesByars
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Req on how to convert hex numbers to decimals

Hi, If i have an input as c1:41 c2:0x0000.00046b3e I want to make output display as c1:41 c2:224062 . Basically convert first part 0x0000 (as hex) to decimal which is 0 and convert second part 0x00046b3e (as hex) to decimal which is 289598 and as such add both parts namely... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hare
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert hex numbers to decimal ?

Hi, please tell me how to convert hex number to decimal 000000E7 000000000002640D 0000000000025B16 and seconds to minutes, hours, days, months, years bytes to kbytes, mbytes , gbytes read the following examples while read a b do printf "%5d %5d\n" "0x$a" "0x$b" done < "$FILE"... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert hex values to displayable characters

Hi, I am a bit stuck with displaying characters. I am having values like below in the proper displayable characters. which I would want to print the actual value on the right hand side. I dont want to create an array because I would have to create 255 different values. isnt there another way of... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmedwaseem2000
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

if test for higher value between 2 decimal numbers

Hi I would like to test for a max number value. It may be a decimal so I know I have to pipe into bc. I just cannot get the syntax for this to work. I cannot get passed an error with the bracket - see below. Any help appreciated. Regards Ewan This works: /export/home/ewan> cat... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: emjs
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Range of numbers in HEX using AWK

Hi , How do i found out all the number in a range ( HEX) for example Input is 15CF:15D2 Output needed 15CF 15D0 15D1 15D2 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: greycells
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing and swapping the Values in the files

Hi all we have a file ONE like this 12345 98765 67222 74252 76991 90091 and we have one more file TWO like huiiii 67jjjj u988 99999 uj99j 98765 hujg 7yhh ij999 78688 ijo99 74252 Now i want create THREE file which is like huiiii 67jjjj u988 12345 uj99j 98765 hujg 7yhh ij999... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: polineni
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

swapping the values of variable!

Hi All, newbie here, i'm just wondering how can i swap the two values of variables without using the third variable. Please advise, Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikki1200
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace with "sed" some hex values by other hex values?

Assume I have a file \usr\home\\somedir\myfile123.txt and I want to replace all occurencies of the two (concatenated) hex values x'AD' x'A0' bytwo other (concatenated) hex values x'20' x'6E' How can I achieve this with the gnu sed tool? Additional question: Is there a way to let sed show... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pstein
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a string starts with certain values and ends with numbers

This is very basic. Yet Iam struggling to get the right pattern for my check. Apologize in advance to ask a very lame question. I have to validate if a value of the variable starts with "efgh" and followed by 6 numbers. Var1="efgh234567" The condition Iam trying to achieve is similar to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
6 Replies
desfree_pct(5)							File Formats Manual						    desfree_pct(5)

NAME
desfree_pct - sets the lower bound before paging daemon starts stealing pages, specified as a percentage of available physical memory VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values Must not be greater than (see lotsfree_pct(5)). DESCRIPTION
is a tunable parameter to set the lower bound before the paging daemon start stealing pages. It is specified as a percentage of physical memory available after boot. must be a positive integer between 0 and 30 and must be equal to or less than (see lotsfree_pct(5)). Trying to set higher than results in The paging daemon in HP-UX acts on a "two hand" model. The daemon runs at least once a second, with one part marking pages of virtual address space as "unused". If the page is referenced before this "aging" hand returns, it will be marked as "used" again. Another section of the daemon, the "steal" hand follows the age hand (the distance between them varies in a well bounded range) and processes pages which are still marked "unused", since needed or frequently accessed pages would have a high likelihood of being referenced in the gap between the hands. Exactly how the steal hand treats the pages still marked as "unused" depends on the comparison of free system physical memory and three paging parameters: and Between and is a periodically re-calculated and, hence floating, threshold known as Thus and are the upper and lower bounds between which moves. is an expression of how much the system maintains, expressed in percentage terms (percentage of physical memory available after boot). o If is greater than the system's memory availability is in good shape. The steal hand does nothing as a lot of memory is still available on the system, so there is no need to "steal' a page that might be needed soon. o In the more common case, when is lower than (but higher than the steal hand will begin to steal pages that have remained unreferenced from when the age hand last marked them. "Stealing" a page refers to the process of freeing the page from being allocated for a partic- ular virtual page and making it available for general allocation again. If falls below but is still more than memory availability is still in reasonable shape, but the paging daemon begins stealing pages more aggressively, including putting lower priority processes to sleep to free up their memory. o When is less than free memory in the system is getting more critical; the paging daemon begin deactivating low priority processes, in other words, swapping out pages to the swap device. Since the exact memory topography varies widely across supported platforms, the paging parameters and are tunable to allow for cases where the default values are insufficient, or where the system administrator requires more control over the actions of the paging daemon. In general, however, the automatic calculation performed by default should suffice for most systems. is a system calculated value. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone with super-user privileges. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? This tunable should be raised on systems where system memory is critical for short-term, high priority processes, but is being held by low- priority, long running processes. For example, when one web server is forking off per-connection threads while 50 RCS clients run in the background. Increasing (and hence would raise the likelihood of the low-priority processes being put to sleep, allowing the high-priority processes a chance to acquire the pages that were previously allocated to the former. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? As increases, more low priority processes might be forced to sleep. Depending on what these processes are actually doing, this may not be the right approach. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Raising too high can impair performance of lower priority processes as previously described. In addition, raising and increases system overhead (it takes time to swap a page to disk), and should be weighed carefully against the need or desire to keep a large pool of physical memory unused. Some free memory is essential, a moderate amount is probably good, a lot of free memory just sitting idle is a waste. If the available physical memory on the machine seems generous and heavy swapping is occurring, lowering and/or will increase memory usage but decrease swapping overhead. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? More physical memory will be in use before processes are put to sleep to try to reclaim their frames. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? should be considered when modifying for reasons previously described above. acts as a firm upper bound to so attempting to set above is meaningless and will result in an error. See lotsfree_pct(5). Notes Starting with HP-UX 11i Version 2, HP recommends the use of to specify the lower bound for the paging daemon. ERRORS
Memory resource management infrastructure is busy. Please try later. Attempting to set above An invalid value is entered that is not an integer between 0 and 30, such as an negative number. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
lotsfree_pct(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters desfree_pct(5)