Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with concatinating the data of 2 files Post 302766565 by pamu on Tuesday 5th of February 2013 04:07:05 AM
Old 02-05-2013
Try

Code:

awk 'NR==FNR{A[NR]=$0;next}{ print A[FNR],FNR!=1?$NF:""}' file1 file2

This User Gave Thanks to pamu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

copying or concatinating string from 1st bit, leaving 0th bit

Hello, If i have 2 strings str1 and str2, i would like to copy/concatenate str2 to str1, from 1st bit leaving the 0th bit. How do i do it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazz
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

concatinating data

Hi All, I have a file penn.txt which has the following data: hello I wish to append a sting to this file so that data in the file would be represented as: hello%%% Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks KOP. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingofprussia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatinating the array

i need to concatenate array like. eg: a = { a,b,c} b= { 1,2,3} result should be like below c={a1,b2,c3} can u help me out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatinating the string in each line of the file

how to concatenate particular string in each line of a file.. root$cat conf check_11043 heartbeat_4345 ---------- if i want to add the string "done" output of the file should be check_11043 done heartbeat_4345 done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Bug: A script to compile two types of data files into two temporary files

Dear other forum members, I'm writing a script for my homework, but I'm scratching all over my head and still can't figure out what I did wrong. Please help me. I just started to learn about bash scripting, and I appreciate if anyone of you can point out my errors. I thank you in advance. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilove2smoke
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when concatinating wildcard onto file location in bash script

I am having difficulty with the following script: #! /bin/bash filelist=~/data/${1}* ~/./convertFile $filelist ~/temp/outputEssentially, there are a large number of files in the directory ~/data, each with a four-letter code at the beginning (eg. aaaa001 aaaa002 bbbb001 bbbb002 etc). The... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lears_Fool
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract data from indexed files (ISAM files) maintained in an unix server.

Hi, Could someone please assist on a quick way of How to extract data from indexed files (ISAM files) maintained in an UNIX(AIX) server.The file data needs to be extracted in flat text file or CSV or excel format . Usually we have programs in microfocus COBOL to extract data, but would like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: devina
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatinating the lines based on number of delimiters

Hi, I have a problem to concatenate the lines based on number of delimiters (if the delimiter count is 9 then concatenate all the fields & remove the new line char bw delimiters and then write the following data into second line) in a file. my input file content is Title| ID| Owner|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bi.infa
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine data from two files base on uniq data

File 1 ID Name Po1 Po2 DD134 DD134_4A_1 NN-1 L_0_1 DD134 DD134_4B_1 NN-2 L_1_1 DD134 DD134_4C_1 NN-3 L_2_1 DD142 DD142_4A_1 NN-1 L_0_1 DD142 DD142_4B_1 NN-2 L_1_1 DD142 DD142_4C_1 NN-3 L_2_1 DD142 DD142_3A_1 NN-41 L_3_1 DD142 DD142_3A_1 NN-42 L_3_2 File 2 ( Combination of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pareshkp
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In PErl script: need to read the data one file and generate multiple files based on the data

We have the data looks like below in a log file. I want to generat files based on the string between two hash(#) symbol like below Source: #ext1#test1.tale2 drop #ext1#test11.tale21 drop #ext1#test123.tale21 drop #ext2#test1.tale21 drop #ext2#test12.tale21 drop #ext3#test11.tale21 drop... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
5 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [ options ] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -jn m Join on the mth field of file n. If n is missing, use the mth field in each file. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1) BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)