Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Command to remove existing files in the tar files in Solaris 10 Post 302766047 by muraliinfy04 on Monday 4th of February 2013 06:13:09 AM
Old 02-04-2013
Command to remove existing files in the tar files in Solaris 10

Hi,
I am using solaris 10 OS.Please help me out with the commands needed in below two scenarios.

1)How to delete the existing files in the tar file.

suppose i have a main tarfile named application.tar and it contains a file called ingres.tar.
what is the command to remove ingres.tar from the main application.tar file

2)What is the command to see specific files in the tar file.

suppose i have tar file named application.tar which contains solarisstudio.tar.i have used
Code:
tar -tvf tarfile name

.but my main tar file application.tar contains so many files.so i am not able to figure out whethere a specific file exists or not.

Appreciate your response on it.

---------- Post updated at 06:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 05:11 AM ----------

Any response on the above mentioned query?

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 02-04-2013 at 06:21 AM.. Reason: removed icode tags added code tags and icode tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete a file from an existing Solaris tar

How can I delete a file from an existing Solaris tar file ? (not gtar) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avnerht
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using tar command to copy files?

hi, can i use the tar command to copy an entire directory and its content in another folder? What is the proper syntax? thx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying command for Tar.gz Files.

:) Hi, I use the following command to search for a string in all the files in the directories and sub directories. find . -type f -print | xargs grep bermun@cial.net Can someone please cite a method wherin I can find the entries from a list of 300-500 *.gz files by modifying the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: openspark
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to add files to an existing tar file - HP-UNIX

Hello, What is the command to add files to an existing tar file. Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tar, compress and remove files older than two days

Hi, I'm Eddy from Belgium and I've the following problem. I try to write a ksh script in AIX to tar, compress and remove the original *.wav files from the directory belgacom_sf_messages older than two days with the following commands. The problem is that I do not find a good combination... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: edr
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of files in directory excluding existing files

Hi, Please let me know how to find out number of files in a directory excluding existing files..The existing file format will be unknown..each time.. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append files to a existing tar file.

Hi all, I want to check whether tar file exists in the directory or not. If tar file exists in the directory then I want to append the files to it. I am using the below command to tar files if the file does not exist. tar zcvf <tar file name> <Files to append> However, if want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nagaraja Akkiva
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to tar files of different extensions in one command

Linux RHEL 5.4 It is easy to create a tarball when you have files same extension For eg: You want to tar all files with the extension .log . This is easy tar -cvf diagnose.tar *.log I have two files with different extensions .log and .sh : error.log myscript.sh I want to create a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove files from tar archive which are more than 1000 days old.

I am not able to extract/remove files older than 1000 days from a tar archive in linux system. #!/usr/bin/perl @file_list = `find /home/x/tmp/ -name *xxMsg* -ctime +7`; $file_name = '/home/x/tmp/new_archive.tar'; for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DannyV
1 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - archiver SYNOPSIS
tar key [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores file trees. It is most often used to transport a tree of files from one system to another. The key is a string that contains at most one function letter plus optional modifiers. Other arguments to the command are names of files or directories to be dumped or restored. A directory name implies all the contained files and subdirectories (recursively). The function is one of the following letters: c Create a new archive with the given files as contents. x Extract the named files from the archive. If a file is a directory, the directory is extracted recursively. Modes are restored if possible. If no file argument is given, extract the entire archive. If the archive contains multiple entries for a file, the lat- est one wins. t List all occurrences of each file in the archive, or of all files if there are no file arguments. r The named files are appended to the archive. The modifiers are: v (verbose) Print the name of each file treated preceded by the function letter. With t, give more details about the archive entries. f Use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of the default standard input (for keys x and t) or standard output (for keys c and r). u Use the next (numeric) argument as the user id for files in the output archive. This is only useful when moving files to a non-Plan 9 system. g Use the next (numeric) argument as the group id for files in the output archive. EXAMPLES
Tar can be used to copy hierarchies thus: {cd fromdir; tar c .} | {cd todir; tar x} SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tar.c SEE ALSO
ar(1), bundle(1), tapefs(1) BUGS
There is no way to ask for any but the last occurrence of a file. File path names are limited to 100 characters. The tar format allows specification of links and symbolic links, concepts foreign to Plan 9: they are ignored. TAR(1)