Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ZFS rpool physical disk move
Operating Systems Solaris ZFS rpool physical disk move Post 302765425 by cjashu on Saturday 2nd of February 2013 10:29:54 AM
Old 02-02-2013
You do not need to mess with /etc/system. You can offline the device then detach it from the mirror.

Reply if you need any clearification

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

2. Solaris

6120 Array. Additional physical Disks and ZFS

Hi; I have 4 new disks in a 6120 Array attached to a SUN server running zfs. There are already two virtual disks on the array comprising of 3 disk raid 5 for each Vdisk. I need to add two more disks to each vdisk making each a 5 disk raid 5 Vdisk. If ZFS already has the original... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: myjess
3 Replies

3. Solaris

ZFS : Can arc size value exceed Physical RAM ?

Hi, kstat -p -m zfs -n arcstats -s size returns zfs:0:arcstats:size 8177310584 this values is approx (7.61 GB) but my Physical Memory size is only 6144 Megabytes. Can this happen ? if yes, then how can I find free memory on the system. BTW, I ran the kstat commands from a Non... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapre_amit
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Splitting rpool mirror disk in ZFS

Hi, I have Solaris-10 (release-7) box without any non global zone. I have a very critical change after couple of days from application side. For safer side, we want to keep few level of backups just in case of faliure. This server is having three pool root@prod_ddoa01:/# zpool list NAME SIZE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Zfs rpool size

Hi everyone, I am doing housekeeping of my Solaris 11 for zfs snapshot to reduce the snapshot size. I have already cleared the / file system, however the rpool size still not reduced. Filesystem Size Used Available Capacity Mounted on rpool/ROOT/solaris-2 98G 6.9G ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshmeat
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Need help to understand zfs rpool space allocation

Hi, I am unable to understand that, in one of my servers while df -kh Filesystem Size Used Available Capacity Mounted on rpool/ROOT/solaris-2 98G 11G 29G 29% / Even the Root FS filled on 40gb and system becomes unstable. it is showing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragr
4 Replies

7. Solaris

ZFS: /system/zones "respawning" on rpool

Hi, I have this fresh installation of Solaris 11.3 sparc. I have two zfs pools both using two disks in mirroring mode, both are online. I want to move /system/zones, currently rpool/VARSHARE/zones, from rpool to the other zfs pool so my zones don't consume space on the disks allocated to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: X96
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Trying to create ZFS slice on rpool

I have a 240GB disk as rpool. I have installed Solaris 11.3 to a partition which is 110GB. Now I have another 130GB which is unallocated. I want to use that additional space as a temporary folder to be shared between Solaris and Linux. The additional space had no /dev/dsk/c2t4... entry so I used... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
8 Replies

9. Solaris

Exporting physical disk to ldom or ZFS volume

Generally, this is what we do:- On primary, export 2 LUNs (add-vdsdev). On primary, assign these disks to the ldom in question (add-vdisk). On ldom, created mirrored zpool from these two disks. On one server (which is older) we have:- On primary, create mirrored zpool from the two LUNs.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Sharing a physical disk with an LDOM

I have a guest LDOM running Solaris 10U11 on a Sun T4-1 host running Solaris 11.4. The host has a disk named bkpool that I'd like to share with the LDOM so both can read and write it. The host is hemlock, the guest is sol10. root@hemlock:~# zpool list NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CAP DEDUP ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michele31416
3 Replies
metarename(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    metarename(1M)

NAME
metarename - rename metadevice or switch layered metadevice names SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/metarename [-s setname] metadevice1 metadevice2 /usr/sbin/metarename [-s setname] [-f] -x metadevice1 metadevice2 /usr/sbin/metarename -h DESCRIPTION
There are two ways to use metarename, one with and one without the -x option. The first method (without -x) renames an existing metadevice to a new name. This makes managing the metadevice namespace easier. The metadevice being renamed cannot be mounted or open, nor can the new name already exist. For example, to rename a metadevice that contains a mounted file system, you would first need to unmount the file sys- tem. With the second way to use metarename, using the -x option, metarename switches (exchanges) the names of an existing layered metadevice and one of its subdevices. In Solaris Volume Manager terms, a layered metadevice can be either a mirror or a trans metadevice. The -x option enables you to switch the metadevice names of a mirror and one of its submirrors, or a trans metadevice and its master device. metarename -x makes it easier to mirror or unmirror an existing stripe or concatenation, and to remove a trans device. When used to mirror an existing stripe or concatenatation, you must stop access to the device. For example, if the device contains a mounted file system, you must first unmount the file system before doing the rename. You can also use the metarename -x command to untrans a trans metadevice from an existing device. This applies only to the master device. You cannot remove a logging device with metarename. Before you can rename a trans device, you must detach the logging device. Then you must stop access to the trans metadevice itself. You cannot rename or switch metadevices that are in an error state or that have subcomponents in an error state, or metadevices actively using a hot spare replacement. You can only switch metadevices that have a direct child/parent relationship. You could not, for example, directly exchange a stripe in a mirror that is a master device with the trans metadevice. You must use the -f flag when switching members of a trans metadevice. Only metadevices can be switched, not slices. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -f Force the switching of trans metadevice members. -h Display a help message. -s setname Specifies the name of the diskset on which metarename will work. Using the -s option will cause the command to perform its administra- tive function within the specified diskset. Without this option, the command will perform its function on the local metadevices. -x Exchange the metadevice names metadevice1 and metadevice2. metadevice1 Specifies the metadevice to be renamed or switched. metadevice2 Specifies the target metadevice name for the rename or switch operation. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Renaming a Metadevice This example renames a metadevice named d10 to d100. Note that d100 must not exist for the rename to succeed. # metarename d10 d100 Example 2: Creating a Two-Way Mirror This example creates a two-way mirror from an existing stripe named d1 with a mounted file system, /home2. # metainit d2 1 1 c13d0s1 # metainit -f d20 -m d1 # umount /home2 # metarename -x d20 d1 # metattach d1 d2 # mount /home2 First, a second concatenation d2, is created. (d1 already exists.) The metainit command creates a one-way mirror, d20, from d1. Next, you umount the file system and switch d1 for d20, making d1 the top-level device (mirror). You attach the second submirror, d2, to create a two-way mirror. Lastly, you remount the file system. Example 3: Mounting a Mirrored File System on Stripe This example takes an existing mirror named d1 with a mounted file system, and ends up with the file system mounted on a stripe d1. # umount /fs2 # metarename -x d1 d20 # metadetach d20 d1 # metaclear -r d20 # mount /fs2 First, you unmount the file system, then switch the mirror d1 and its submirror d20. This makes the mirror into d20. Next, you detach d1 from d20, then delete the mirror d20 and its other submirror. You then remount the file system. Example 4: Deleting a Trans Metadevice This example deletes a trans metadevice named d10 while its mount point is /myhome. The master device, which is a stripe, is named d2. The logging device, also a stripe, is named d5. # umount /myhome # metadetach d10 # metarename -f -x d10 d2 # metaclear d2 # metaclear d5 # fsck /dev/md/dsk/d10 # mount /myhome You umount the file system first, then detach the trans metadevice's logging device. The trans metadevice is switched with the master device, making the trans metadevice d2 and the underlying stripe d10. You clear the trans metadevice d2 and the logging device d5. d10 must be fsck'd, and then the file system is remounted. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWmdu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mdmonitord(1M), metaclear(1M), metadb(1M), metadetach(1M), metahs(1M), metainit(1M), metaoffline(1M), metaonline(1M), metaparam(1M), metarecover(1M), metareplace(1M), metaroot(1M), metaset(1M), metassist(1M), metastat(1M), metasync(1M), metattach(1M), md.tab(4), md.cf(4), mddb.cf(4), md.tab(4), attributes(5), md(7D) Solaris Volume Manager Administration Guide LIMITATIONS
Renaming and exchanging metadevice names can only be used for metadevices. A physical slice cannot be renamed to a metadevice, nor can a metadevice be exchanged with a physical slice name. Metadevice names are strings of the pattern d<xyz> where xyz is a value between 0 and 8192. You cannot use logical names for metadevices. NOTES
Trans metadevices have been replaced by UFS logging. Existing trans devices are not logging--they pass data directly through to the under- lying device. See mount_ufs(1M) for more information about UFS logging. SunOS 5.10 8 Aug 2003 metarename(1M)