Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What is mask and effective right mask in setfacl? Post 302765207 by DGPickett on Friday 1st of February 2013 04:12:02 PM
Old 02-01-2013
The mask is the rwx- string for the 9 bits, e.g., rwxrwxrwx or rw-r-----.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Subnet mask

Hi, I have about 30 computers for users with subnet mask x.x.x.0, and 25 computers for workers with s.m. x.x.x.128. My server has a s.m. x.x.x.128 so with workers computers I can see my server and all the computers in that s.m., but I can't see the server from the users computers and I need to see... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0DiaC
7 Replies

2. Programming

password mask in C

Hi, Could any one help me to write a C program for password mask with ******. I mean whatever word i will type that will show on the screen as ***** and should store the correct value in a variable. Thanks in advance Krishna (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
5 Replies

3. IP Networking

Changing the mask

What is the command to change the mask to 255.255.255.0 The system was set up incorectly and the mask needs to be corrected (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkinnon
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

overriding the mask in setfacl

hello everbody: Im trying to give the user "ydarwish" a full access over some directory on my sol9 machine. however the setfacl is recalculating the mask parameter keeping me from keeping him effective write and read access: root@Obi-Wan> setfacl -m u:ydarwish:rwx /IN_ARCHIVE6 root@Obi-Wan>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aladdin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mask ID number

HP-UX 11i v2. #!/bin/sh Hi all. I have a flat file like this with lines like this: |07/19/07|08:26AM|1|CupsCoffee|CupsCo|989898989 |Doe, John Y |THE PLUS CARD - Price| | |Y| | 2.00| I would like to replace the id number (field 6) with a masked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyoncc
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to mask

I have a file which has huge number of rows. I have to mask only few rows at a particular position lets say 12th to 19th i have to replace with X's (XXXXXXX) I am reading the file and even checking the conditions, but I am not sure how I can replace the text my program while read... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prassu
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Mask Data

I have an requirement. There is a file which has the below contents Unix|123|17-01-2010 .... .... .... .... and so an now each letter has a corresponding predefined mapping letter in order to mask the original data.(for example U = A, n=b, i=c, x=d, same like number 1=9,2=8,3=7. Also... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmbabu
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mask the password ?

Hi All, i am executing peoplesoft sqr command from unix prompt which has the unix id/password as parameter along with other parameters. i want to show whole command in log file but want to mask the id/password field. this command i am executing in shell script. Please suggest.. >sqr sqrname... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: avi.coep
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do mask off the string that match my value?

Hi, I have a file like following, aaabb aaavv bbdddaaab fgdgjhaa bfd 12352aa dgs1xaf sdgsdyg4 How can i get the output below(mask off all the line that have "a") by using vim #aaabb #aaavv #bbdddaaab #fgdgjhaa bfd #12352aa (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 793589
4 Replies

10. Red Hat

Samba create mask and dir mask on RHEL 4.8

Hi Experts, I'm using samba -3.6.1 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 8) ,all seems ok. The issue im facing is as follows. When ever a user creates a file via windows explorer the permissions assgined to the file are as follows -rw-rwxr--+ 1 tom group2 0 Mar 9... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
1 Replies
umask(1)						      General Commands Manual							  umask(1)

NAME
umask - Displays or sets the file mode creation mask SYNOPSIS
umask [-S] [mask] Note The C shell has a built-in version of the umask command. If you are using the C shell, and want to guarantee that you are using the com- mand described here, you must specify the full path /usr/bin/umask. See the csh(1) reference page for a description of the built-in com- mand. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: umask: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Produce symbolic output. Output is produced in a format that is recognized on a subsequent invocation of umask as a mask operand to restore the previous file mode creation mask. If the -S option is not used, output is displayed as an octal integer, but is still usable as input on a subsequent invocation of the umask command. OPERANDS
A string specifying the new file mode creation mask. This string may may be an octal value or a symbolic_mode value. For a symbolic_mode value, the new value of the file mode creation mask is the logical complement of the file permission bits por- tion of the file mode specified by the symbolic_mode string. In a symbolic_mode value, the characters + and - are interpreted relative to the current file mode creation mask; + causes the bits for the indicated permissions to be cleared in the mask; - causes the bits for the indicated permissions to be set in the mask. The file mode creation mask is set to the resulting numeric value. In the obsolescent octal integer form of mode, the specified bits are set in the file mode creation mask. DESCRIPTION
The umask command sets the file mode creation mask of the current shell execution environment to the value specified by the mask oper- and. This mask affects the initial value of the file permission bits of subsequently created files. If the mask operand is not specified, the umask command writes the value of the invoking process's file mode creation mask to standard out- put. If the -S option is specified, the output is in the following format: "u=%s,g=%s,o=%s ", <owner permissions>, <group permissions>, <other permissions>" The three values are combinations of letters from the set {r, w, x}; the presence of a letter indicates that the corresponding bit is clear in the file mode creation mask. NOTES
Any mask operand such as -r, -w, -x, or anything beginning with a hyphen, must be preceded by -- to keep it from being interpreted as a option. Since umask affects the current shell execution environment, it is provided as a shell regular built-in. In contrast to the nega- tive permission logic provided by the file mode creation mask and the octal number form of the mask argument, the symbolic form of the mask operand specifies those permissions that are left alone. Although the references to octal modes are obsolescent in the ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993 standard, they are maintained for portable applications until further notice. RESTRICTIONS
If umask is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, it does not affect the file mode creation mask of the caller's environment. A separate execution environment could be one of the following: (umask 002) nohup umask ... find . -exec umask ... ; EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: The file mode creation mask was successfully changed, or no mask operand was supplied. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To set the file mode creation mask so that subsequently created files have their write by all others bit cleared, enter either of the fol- lowing commands: umask a=rx,ug+w umask 002 If the file mode creation mask was set with either of the above commands, the umask command can be used to write out the current value of the mask. To write the value in octal format, enter: umask This provides the output: 0002 To write the value in symbolic format, enter: umask -S This provides the output: u=rwx,g=rwx,o=rx The following sequence of commands is an example of how to save the current file mode creation mask and later restore the value using the umask command and octal integer formats. Examine the current value of the mask: umask The current mask is reported as: 022 Save the current value, and verify the saved value: SAVEMASK =`umask` echo $SAVEMASK The saved value is reported as: 022 Change the current mask: umask 444 Verify the change: umask The new mask is reported: 0444 Restore the previous mask: umask $SAVEMASK Verify the restored value: umask The value is now restored: 022 The following sequence of commands is an example of how to save the current file mode creation mask and later restore the value using the umask command and symbolic_mode formats. Examine the current value of the mask: umask -S The current mask is reported as: u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx Save the current value, and verify the saved value: SAVEMASK=`umask -S` echo $SAVE- MASK The saved value is reported as: u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx Change the current mask: umask a= Verify the change: umask -S The new mask is reported: u=,g=,o= Restore the previous mask: umask $SAVEMASK Verify the restored value: umask -S The value is now restored: u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx To set the file mode creation mask so that subsequently created files have all their write bits cleared, enter: umask -- -w ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of umask: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale for the for- mat and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: chmod(1) Functions: chmod(2), umask(2) Standards: standards(5) umask(1)