Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding variables to repeating strings Post 302764631 by radoulov on Thursday 31st of January 2013 05:04:52 PM
Old 01-31-2013
Wow,
try the following:

1. Create a script file with the following content:
Code:
END {
  for (i = 0; ++i <= NR;) {
    c[substr(r[i], length(r[i]) - 1)] > 1 && r[i] = r[i] OFS l[s[i]] 
    print r[i]
    }
  }
{  
  r[NR] = $0
  s[NR] = ++c[substr($0, length($0) - 1)]  
  }
BEGIN {  
  split("a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z", l)
  }

2. Run the following command:
Code:
awk -f script_name input_file

Edit: OK, I realized that you put the entire command in the script file.
Please remove awk ' and ' infile!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating variables in the code

Hi all, I had written 3 KSH scripts for different functionalities. In all these 3 files there are some 30 variables in common. So I want to reduce the code by placing these variables in a common properties file named (dataload.prop/dataload.parms/dataload.txt) or txt file and access it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash hell , removing " and adding from a strings

I'm writing a bash script and i'm stuck the out put of a dialog menu is echo $select "foo" "bar" "lemon" cheese" while I need $foo $bar $lemon $cheese to reuse them as strings later in the script and very new to bash scripting and i've no idea how to do this any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xpd259
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Strings to a file

Well thanks a lot but I have another Problem I try to solve. I habe one simple Textfile with entries like this, for example: file1 file2 file3 file4 ... file200 And I want to add Strings at the beginning on the line. Like this word1 file1 word1 file2 ... I hope you can help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blackbox
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding strings to lines in a file

Hi all, I have a positional text file that comes from some source application. Before it is processed by destination application I have to add some header (suffix) to every record(line) in the file. e.g. Actual File ............... AccountDetails AcNO Name Amount 1234 John 26578 5678... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharath160
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Variables

Hi. I have a for loop that I use to extract integer values in a shell script (ksh). Now, I would like to add the values. My preference, from my c programming days, would be to do something like the commented out line below in the for loop. However, this is not recognised. So I use the line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem22
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK adding prefix/suffix to list of strings

75 103 131 133 138 183 197 221 232 234 248 256 286 342 368 389 463 499 524 538 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help with repeating variables in a shell script

I should preface this by saying I have never worked with shell scripts before so this is all new to me. I was able to make something that worked, but is terribly optimized, and I have no idea how to improve it. If anything it's a pretty hilarious script: #/bin/bash get_char() { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricco19
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to rename the repeating strings

All, I have a sample text like below. Key (Header) Key1 ABC Key2 ABC Key3 ABC ABC Key4 ABC Key5 ABC ABC ABC Required Output Key (Header) Key1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

--Parsing out strings for repeating delimiters for everyline

Hello: I have some text output, on SunOS 5.11 platform using KSH: I am trying to parse out each string within the () for each line. I tried, as example: perl -lanF"" -e 'print "$F $F $F $F $F $F"' But for some reason, the output gets all garbled after the the first fields.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gilgamesh
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding sequential index to duplicate strings

I have a text file in the following format >Homo sapiens KQKCLYNLPFKRNLEGCRERCSLVIQIPRCCKGYFGRDCQACPGGPDAPCNNRGVCLDQY SATGECKCNTGFNGTACEMCWPGRFGPDCLPCGCSDHGQCDDGITGSGQCLCETGWTGPS CDTQAVLPAVCTPPCSAHATCKENNTCECNLDYEGDGITCTVVDFCKQDNGGCAKVARCS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrild
2 Replies
Locale::Script(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					 Locale::Script(3)

NAME
Locale::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-06-03 Locale::Script(3)