Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem extracting zipped tar file Post 302764403 by Yoda on Thursday 31st of January 2013 12:58:11 PM
Old 01-31-2013
Also try:
Code:
tar -b 512 -zxvf Sample.tar.gz

I found similar issues reported and the solution was to use GNU tar instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extracting from a tar file

Dear experts I have received a tar file containing several files with full path. Now I need to restore it in another system but when I want to extract files by using tar -xvf tarfile it wants to create all files with full paths again in new system in which I don't have enough previleges. How... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Reza Nazarian
4 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting from a tar archive file

Can I extract files from an archive file (tar), where the filename includes the full directory path, to a different directory? For example the archive files may have a filename of /SrcFiles/XXX/filename.dat and I want to extract it to /SrcFiles/YYY/filename.dat. Since the archive file was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nmalencia
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the content of the particular file from tar.Z without extracting?

Hi All, I want to read the content of the particular file from tar.Z without extracting. aaa.tar.Z contains a file called one.txt, I want to read the content of the one.txt without extracting. Please help me to read the content of it. Regards, Kalai. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
12 Replies

5. Solaris

option to delete .tar file while extracting

Is there an option in tar which deletes the .tar file as soon as it is successfully extracted. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickylife
5 Replies

6. Solaris

Extracting file from tar at relative location!!

Hi Gurus, I have a .tar file which required untar to the new location. I list the content with –tvf its listing the files which are inside the tar, when I am extracting he file from tar its working fine, however once I am trying to extract the file at the new location I am unable to do so. I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting specific files from a tar file in HP-UX

I have tried: tar -xfv mytarfile.tar archive/tabv/* tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xf mytarfile.tar -v --wildcards 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards --no-anchored 'archive/tabv/*' tar -xfv mytarfile.tar --wildcards `archive/tabv/*` and none... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Zipped tar file is corrupt

Hello, I am currently dumping 30-40 reports on a Unix folder located here /home/apps/reports/prode/excel I use K-shell to do this task. In that, I use the gzip command to compress these files. I want to be able to use a tar command to first load the entire directory into one file then gzip that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pramodini Rode
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Issue in extracting Tar and Zipped file.

Hi, I want to tar files and zip them in order to clean up space in directory. I have files like /path/file1 /path file2. What I am trying to do is: Option 1: tar -cvf /path/file1 /path file2 | gzip > test.tar.gz I got the file created. But while trying to extract the Tar and zipped file, I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Quesemail
1 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Uncompressing but not extracting tar.Z file

Hi I have a few hundred files with extension .tar.Z. These files were archived (tar) and compressed (Z) on a UNIX system. I need to unzip them but not extract them. In other words they need to go to .tar extension. I would like to do this on my MAC or on a windows pc. I do not have a UNIX... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalbano
3 Replies
BF_TAR(1)																 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. 07/23/2007 BF_TAR(1)