Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Error occurred while making the net-snmp 5.4.4 on Solaris 5.10 version. Post 302764379 by DGPickett on Thursday 31st of January 2013 11:56:32 AM
Old 01-31-2013
First, the simple solution is to get your freeware at a trusted binary source. I build from source a lot because pkg needs root, and I just want a user installation. The configure and make process builds make files, scripts and their resources, and somewhere it decided to slip in 'false' for 'ar'. Not only is ar the right tool, the arguments match: Man Page for ar (linux Section 1) - The UNIX and Linux Forums

Googling autoconf false ar, I find: http://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fs...3F.28MacOSX.29

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

net-snmp-5.1.2 Solaris 9

All, I downloaded and installed the following net-snmp from the sourceforge.net website on a Solaris 9 server with the entire collection installed: net-snmp-5.1.2-SunOS_5.9_sun4u.tar.gz with no errors. I attempt to run snmpget and I get the following error: ld.so.1: snmpget: fatal:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
1 Replies

2. Solaris

net-snmp on solaris 8

hello I am running solaris 8 sparc. I installed net-snmp 5.4.1 (compiled it from tar file). When I do snmpwalk from another server, I receive a partial list of OIDs then it stops and gives 'timeout. No response...' another snmpwalk will directly timeouts. I compiled again the binaries... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Net-snmp issue in Solaris 8

Hi there, I know this is a common question, but I have not found a satsifactory solution yet, so pardon me for posting similar questions. My problem is the log /var/adm/messages is filling up with this entry every few minutes Please refer below. Oct 4 21:39:46 host last message repeated 3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sundar63
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Net-SNMP issues Solaris 10

I'm unable to see any traps being sent from my Solaris 10 server using Net-snmp 5.4.2 Here is my snmp conf file. Please let me know if there are any syntax issues you might notice. cat /etc/sma/snmp/snmpd.conf ########################################################################### # #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: soupbone38
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Net-SNMP-5.4.2.1 issue on Sun Solaris

Hi, I am trying to compile the source code for Net-SNMP-5.4.2.1 using the gcc compiler-3.4.6 and 3.4.3 but I am getting the follwoing error with perl enabled: /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link gcc -g -O2 -Usolaris2 -Dsolaris2=solaris2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -Wdeclaration-after-statement... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tisha
2 Replies

6. Infrastructure Monitoring

Error make net-Snmp 5.5

Configuration of net-Snmp 5.5 :) --------------------------------------------------------- Net-SNMP configuration summary: --------------------------------------------------------- SNMP Versions Supported: 1 2c 3 Building for: solaris2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samirsidi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl Net::SNMP version getting info from cisco switch

I am having trouble working with SNMP module with perl. I am trying to get SNMP version of target system. I use following code to get it however it resturns error as "Argument "v6.0.1" isn't numeric in numeric lt (<) at ./chk_env_upd.pl line 447." Get load table my $resultat =... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dynamax
1 Replies
NETSNMP_AGENT_API(3)						     Net-SNMP						      NETSNMP_AGENT_API(3)

NAME
netsnmp_agent_api - embedding an agent into a external application SYNOPSIS
#include <net-snmp/net-snmp-config.h> #include <net-snmp/net-snmp-includes.h> #include <net-snmp/agent/net-snmp-agent-includes.h> int main (int argc, char *argv[]) { int agentx_subagent = 1; /* Change this if you're a master agent. */ snmp_enable_stderrlog(); /* If we're an AgentX subagent... */ if (agentx_subagent) { /* ...make us an AgentX client. */ netsnmp_ds_set_boolean(NETSNMP_DS_APPLICATION_ID, NETSNMP_DS_AGENT_ROLE, 1); } init_agent("yourappname"); /* Initialize your MIB code here. */ init_my_mib_code(); /* `yourappname' will be used to read yourappname.conf files. */ init_snmp("yourappname"); /* If we're going to be a SNMP master agent... */ if (!agentx_subagent) init_master_agent(); /* Listen on default port (161). */ /* Your main loop here... */ while (whatever) { /* if you use select(), see snmp_api(3) */ /* --- OR --- */ agent_check_and_process(0); /* 0 == don't block */ } /* At shutdown time: */ snmp_shutdown("yourappname"); } Then: $(CC) ... `net-snmp-config --agent-libs` DESCRIPTION
Our goal is to create a easy to use interface to the Net-SNMP package such that you can take code that you have written that has been designed to be a Net-SNMP MIB module and embed it into an external application where you can either chose to be a SNMP master agent or an AgentX sub-agent using the same MIB module code. Our suggestion is that you use our (or another) SNMP agent as the AgentX master agent and chose to become an AgentX subagent which then attaches to the master. The Net-SNMP package provides a pair of libraries that enables easy embedding of an SNMP or AgentX agent into an external software package. AgentX is an extensible protocol designed to allow multiple SNMP sub-agents all run on one machine under a single SNMP master agent. It is defined in RFC 2741. You will need to perform a few tasks in order to accomplish this. First off, you will need to initialize both the SNMP library and the SNMP agent library. As indicated above, this is done slightly differently depending on whether or not you are going to perform as a master agent or an AgentX sub-agent. CONFIGURATION
If you intend to operate as an AgentX sub-agent, you will have to configured the Net-SNMP package with agentx support (which is turned on by default, so just don't turn it off) Additionally, you will need to link against the Net-SNMP libraries (use the output of "net-snmp-config --agent-libs" to get a library list) and call subagent_pre_init() as indicated above. COMPILING
In order to make use of any of the above API, you will need to link against at least the four libraries listed above. FUNCTIONS
where to find out more information on them. It is certainly not a complete list of what is available within all the Net-SNMP libraries. snmp_enable_stderrlog() Logs error output from the SNMP agent to the standard error stream. netsnmp_ds_set_boolean() Please see the default_store(3) manual page for more information about this API. init_agent(char *name) Initializes the embedded agent. This should be called before the init_snmp() call. name is used to dictate what .conf file to read when init_snmp() is called later. init_snmp(char *name) Initializes the SNMP library. Note that one of the things this will do will be to read configuration files in an effort to config- ure your application. It will attempt to read the configuration files named by the name string that you passed in. It can be used to configure access control, for instance. Please see the netsnmp_config_api(3), snmp_config(5), and snmpd.conf(5) manual pages for further details on this subject. init_master_agent(void) Initializes the master agent and causes it to listen for SNMP requests on its default UDP port of 161. agent_check_and_process(int block) This checks for packets arriving on the SNMP port and processes them if some are found. If block is non-zero, the function call will block until a packet arrives or an alarm must be run (see snmp_alarm(3)). The return value from this function is a positive integer if packets were processed, zero if an alarm occurred and -1 if an error occured. snmp_shutdown(char *name); This shuts down the agent, saving any needed persistent storage, etc. SEE ALSO
http://www.net-snmp.org/tutorial-5/toolkit/ select(2), snmp_api(3), default_store(3), snmp_alarm(3), netsnmp_config_api(3), snmp_config(5), snmpd.conf(5) V5.7.2 13 Aug 2010 NETSNMP_AGENT_API(3)