Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [ksh88 and awk] Number of fields with a value. Post 302764295 by Scrutinizer on Thursday 31st of January 2013 08:36:17 AM
Old 01-31-2013
Code:
awk '{print gsub(/[^~]+/,x)}'

Leave $0 intact:
Code:
awk '{print gsub(/[^~]+/,"&")}'

--
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejdv
Ah, this works:

Code:
# echo $VALUES | nawk 'BEGIN {FS="~+"} {print NF-1}'

Nope:

Code:
$ echo "one~two" | awk 'BEGIN {FS="~+"} {print NF-1}'
$ echo "~one~two~" | awk 'BEGIN {FS="~+"} {print NF-1}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of fields not using SED or AWK

hi forums i need help with a little problem i am having. i need to count the number of fields that are in a saved variable so i can use that number to make a different function work properly. is there a way of doing this without using SED/AWK? anything would be greatly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of fields handled by awk

Hi Gurus, Have a file seperated by "~" and no of fields is 104. When i try to run awk, it erros out. awk: record `B~A31~T24_STF~~~2009...' has too many fields Any idea how can i extract a specific filed with this many fields in a row. Kindly help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivat79
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to (n)awk lines of CSV with certain number of fields?

I have a CSV file with a variable number of fields per record. How do I print lines of a certain number of fields only? Several permutations of the following (including the use of escape characters) have failed to retrieve the line I'm after (1,2,3,4)... $ cat myfile 1,2,3,4 1,2,3 $ # Print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split lines without knowing the number of fields a-priori

I want to use awk to split fields and put them into a file but I don't know the number of fields for example, in the following line Ports: 22/filtered/tcp//ssh///, 53/open/tcp//tcpwrapped///, 111/filtered/tcp//rpcbind///, 543/filtered/tcp//klogin///, 544/filtered/tcp//kshell///,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of variable number of fields data file

Hy! I need to post-process some data files which have variable (and periodic) number of fields. For example, I need to square (data -> data*data) the folowing data file: -5.34281E-28 -3.69822E-29 8.19128E-29 9.55444E-29 8.16494E-29 6.23125E-29 4.42106E-29 2.94592E-29 1.84841E-29 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make all records with the same number of fields (awk)

Hi, input: AA|BB|CC DD|EE FF what I am trying to get: AA|BB|CC DD|EE| FF|| I tried to create first an UDF for printing repeats, but I think I have an issue with my END section or my array: function repeat(str, n, rep, i) { for(i=1 ;i<n;i++) rep=rep str return rep } ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Combine multiple lines based on number of fields

If a file has following kind of data, comma delimited 1,2,3,4 1 1 1,2,3,4 1,2 2 2,3,4 My required output must have only 4 columns with comma delimited 1,2,3,4 111,2,3,4 1,222,3,4 I have tried many awk command using ORS="" but couldnt progress (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting the number of fields using awk

Hi Guys, I've obviously had a senior moment here, what I'm trying to do is set the number of fields to 35 in a csv these should be appended to the end of the line. But what I'm getting is:- Source Data $ head out_file_01.txt N1000,024,2809003,,,3,DYNAMIC AVLEASE INC,PO BOX... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)