Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [ksh88 and awk] Number of fields with a value. Post 302764285 by PikK45 on Thursday 31st of January 2013 08:25:21 AM
Old 01-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin52
Code:
awk -F"~" '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i!="")c++}}{print c}' file

I believe this one is valid to your question Smilie I was in a hurry there SmilieSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk sed cut? to rearrange random number of fields into 3 fields

I'm working on formatting some attendance data to meet a vendors requirements to upload to their system. With some help on the forums here, I have the data close. But they've since changed what they want. The vendor wants me to submit three fields to them. Field 1 is the studentid field,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: axo959
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count number of fields not using SED or AWK

hi forums i need help with a little problem i am having. i need to count the number of fields that are in a saved variable so i can use that number to make a different function work properly. is there a way of doing this without using SED/AWK? anything would be greatly appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of fields handled by awk

Hi Gurus, Have a file seperated by "~" and no of fields is 104. When i try to run awk, it erros out. awk: record `B~A31~T24_STF~~~2009...' has too many fields Any idea how can i extract a specific filed with this many fields in a row. Kindly help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srivat79
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to (n)awk lines of CSV with certain number of fields?

I have a CSV file with a variable number of fields per record. How do I print lines of a certain number of fields only? Several permutations of the following (including the use of escape characters) have failed to retrieve the line I'm after (1,2,3,4)... $ cat myfile 1,2,3,4 1,2,3 $ # Print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cs03dmj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split lines without knowing the number of fields a-priori

I want to use awk to split fields and put them into a file but I don't know the number of fields for example, in the following line Ports: 22/filtered/tcp//ssh///, 53/open/tcp//tcpwrapped///, 111/filtered/tcp//rpcbind///, 543/filtered/tcp//klogin///, 544/filtered/tcp//kshell///,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: esolvepolito
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk processing of variable number of fields data file

Hy! I need to post-process some data files which have variable (and periodic) number of fields. For example, I need to square (data -> data*data) the folowing data file: -5.34281E-28 -3.69822E-29 8.19128E-29 9.55444E-29 8.16494E-29 6.23125E-29 4.42106E-29 2.94592E-29 1.84841E-29 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: radudownload
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Make all records with the same number of fields (awk)

Hi, input: AA|BB|CC DD|EE FF what I am trying to get: AA|BB|CC DD|EE| FF|| I tried to create first an UDF for printing repeats, but I think I have an issue with my END section or my array: function repeat(str, n, rep, i) { for(i=1 ;i<n;i++) rep=rep str return rep } ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: beca123456
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: Combine multiple lines based on number of fields

If a file has following kind of data, comma delimited 1,2,3,4 1 1 1,2,3,4 1,2 2 2,3,4 My required output must have only 4 columns with comma delimited 1,2,3,4 111,2,3,4 1,222,3,4 I have tried many awk command using ORS="" but couldnt progress (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting the number of fields using awk

Hi Guys, I've obviously had a senior moment here, what I'm trying to do is set the number of fields to 35 in a csv these should be appended to the end of the line. But what I'm getting is:- Source Data $ head out_file_01.txt N1000,024,2809003,,,3,DYNAMIC AVLEASE INC,PO BOX... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gull04
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Is there a UNIX command that can compare fields of files with differing number of fields?

Hi, Below are the sample files. x.txt is from an Excel file that is a list of users from Windows and y.txt is a list of database account. $ head -500 x.txt y.txt ==> x.txt <== TEST01 APP_USER_PROFILE USER03 APP_USER_PROFILE TEST02 APP_USER_EXP_PROFILE TEST04 APP_USER_PROFILE USER01 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)