Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris paging bringing system to halt Post 302764261 by achenle on Thursday 31st of January 2013 08:02:45 AM
Old 01-31-2013
What's the output from:

Code:
echo ::memstat | mdb -k

That needs to be run by root.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

where's solaris halt log?

hi folks could tell my anyone where solaris 8 stores the logs about shutdown/halt command. I found no entries in syslog, but there more logs directories. probabaly a stupid question, but fast help would be great! thanks king regards, patrick (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrsaint
6 Replies

2. Programming

How to halt Prog Execution for some time?

Hi, Perhaps I am asking a silly question, but I really don't know about it. Can anyone tell me the function for "sleep" kind of functionality in C language for Unix. I don't think any function with the name of sleep() exits in Unix's C language. or perhaps I am not known with the header file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ahsan
3 Replies

3. Solaris

rsh commands not getting executed from Solaris 10 System to AIX System

Hi Friends, I am trying to execute rsh commands from Solaris 10 system to AIX system. When I give; Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ls -l , it gives me an error rshd : 0826-826 The host name for your address is not known At the same time, Solaris10# rsh <hostname> ---- gives me remote shell of... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
25 Replies

4. Solaris

difference b/w halt shutdown

Hi, I want to know the difference between halt and shutdown commands and which is better to use? Regards, visu (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: visu_ak
2 Replies

5. Solaris

unable to halt the zone

Hi Experts, I have to delete the non- global zone from one of the server. As per my understanding we need to halt the zone , then uninstall and later delete it with zoneadm however once I am trying to halt the zone the screen is getting hanged, after canceling the process and... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
23 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SCO Open Server 6 - System Halt

========================================================= Errrr previously post: https://www.unix.com/sco/140055-sco-open-server-6-system-halt.html Then I think it's better to post here. If I wrong, please ignore. ========================================================= Dear All, Newbie... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virgani
1 Replies

7. SCO

SCO Open Server 6 - System Halt

Dear All, Newbie here, hope my post goes to the correct room. System: SCO Open Server 6.0 Everything running well, after this Sunday morning noone can login via telnet or via putty, the system suddenly reject without any message (and also ftp). The local IT Support there (without enough... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: virgani
2 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Four-Level multi-paging on x86 system with 64 bit addressing

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Hi all, I've got a huuuuuuge problem with understanding this new concept of multi-paging. I really tried to research but i could not find anything significant. I've been trying to understand this for 4 days and i cannot. The question... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snowboarder
0 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Shutdown to a Halt and restart

I've got critical patching this weekend on 6 HP UX machines, back to back and the customer has requested to shutdown, and halt the machines and to bring it up at a later period. The thing is the servers are located offshore and we are just the support team. I have a special login thru a console... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: hedkandi
16 Replies

10. AIX

64K Paging taking place when available system ram exists

We are on AIX 6100-03-01 and our Admin said we are hitting "64K PAGING TAKING PLACE WHEN AVAILABLE SYSTEM RAM EXISTS " issue addressed by IZ71987 / IZ71850 / IZ72031 / IZ71191 / IZ71603. We are thinking to upgrade the OS to AIX 6.1 TL 6 SP3. Wondering if this issue "64K PAGING TAKING PLACE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunusernewbie
1 Replies
MEMSTAT(1)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MEMSTAT(1)

NAME
memstat - Identify what's using up virtual memory. SYNOPSIS
memstat [-w][-p PID] DESCRIPTION
memstat lists all accessible processes, executables, and shared libraries that are using up virtual memory. To get a complete list memstat has to be run as root to be able to access the data of all running processes. First, the processes are listed. An amount of memory is shown along with a process ID and the name of the executable which the process is running. The amount of memory shown does not include shared memory: it only includes memory which is private to that process. So, if a process is using a shared library like libc, the memory used to hold that library is not included. The memory used to hold the exe- cutable's text-segment is also not included, since that too is shareable. After the processes, the shared objects are listed. The amount of memory is shown along with the filename of the shared object, followed by a list of the processes using the shared object. The memory is listed as the total amount of memory allocated to this object throughout the whole namespace. In brackets also the amount that is really shared is listed. Finally, a grand total is shown. Note that this program shows the amount of virtual (not real) memory used by the various items. memstat gets its input from the /proc filesystem. This must be compiled into your kernel and mounted for memstat to work. The pathnames shown next to the shared objects are determined by scanning the disk. memstat uses a configuration file, /etc/memstat.conf, to determine which directories to scan. This file should include all the major bin and lib directories in your system, as well as the /dev directory. If you run an executable which is not in one of these directories, it will be listed by memstat as ``[0dev]:<inode>''. Options The -w switch causes a wide printout: lines are not truncated at 80 columns. The -p switch causes memstat to only print data gathered from looking at the process with the gicen PID. NOTES
These reports are intended to help identify programs that are using an excessive amount of memory, and to reduce overall memory waste. FILES
/etc/memstat.conf /proc/*/maps SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), free(1), vmstat(8), lsof(8), /usr/share/doc/memstat/memstat-tutorial.txt.gz BUGS
memstat ignores all devices that just map main memory, though this may cause memstat to ignore some memory usage. Memory used by the kernel itself is not listed. AUTHOR
Originally written by Joshua Yelon <jyelon@uiuc.edu> and patched by Bernd Eckenfels <ecki@debian.org>. Taken over and rewritten by Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>. Debian 01 November 1998 MEMSTAT(1)