Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to auto start a service on rebooting a Solaris 5.10 x86 machine? Post 302764155 by zazzybob on Thursday 31st of January 2013 04:01:17 AM
Old 01-31-2013
Hi,

Create an appropriate script under /etc/init.d (accepting at minimum start and stop arguments) and then create the appropriate S* and K* links under the runlevel directories you wish the service to start (and stop) in. Most default Solaris 10 services that still use init scripts use hard links, e.g.

Code:
# ls -li /etc/rc2.d/S98deallocate /etc/init.d/deallocate
      1852 -rwxr--r--   2 root     sys          733 Jun 29  2011 /etc/init.d/deallocate
      1852 -rwxr--r--   2 root     sys          733 Jun 29  2011 /etc/rc2.d/S98deallocate

Have a look at some of the existing scripts under /etc/init.d to understand how they need to be written.

This may seem like the easy option - but I strongly recommend getting to grips with SMF.

Cheers,
ZB

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to supress a UI popup at the time of Service start up in solaris-10

Hi, I have written a service script(service.sh) for my application which will add my application(BTINM) as service and start the service. Internally inside the script i will call the sh script which will start my application server. When my application server starts a UI opens saying that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krevathi1912
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Auto Start/Stop Didnt Work in Solaris 10

Hi...all database - 10g Rs 2 with ASM platform - Sun Solaris V890 64bit This is the step i use to auto start the database n ASM: (auto start can start but need to kill lsvcrun first) 1 dbora---script 2 start_shutdown_asm.ksh---script 3. Dbora file must be put under /etc/init.d directory... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive?

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive? Is there a way to boot from a flash stick or install it through a network? Any help will be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

4. Solaris

x86 Sun Machine and Solaris Soft Mirror

Hi everyone, Normally it always easier in Sparc machine, i can set or manually use the boot-device in NVram to boot the mirrored disk. However I have a big trouble about x86 mirror for a long time. I have been doing anything i can: search document, google, ask the others. Recently i did as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

5. Solaris

How to auto start MySQL server on Opensolaris after rebooting the machine?

Hi, In Linux, I will do it by editing the /etc/rc.d/rc.local . However, I can't find a rc.local file in Opensolaris. So, how can I do it in Opensolaris? I am new to opensolaris, so please teach me step by step. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexCheung
4 Replies

6. Solaris

is there an veritas volume manager version compatible with solaris x86 machine?

i heard some where veritas volume manager wont work on solaris x86. i have installed vmware into my 32bit xp machine. i am planning to learn veritas.. is there an veritas volume manager version compatible with solaris x86 machine? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Disable xen machine to auto start on reboot

Hello Guys - I need to disable xen server not to start when the server is rebooted. 1) What is the parameter to be used to do this..below is the entry in my config file... on_reboot = "restart" 2) What is the default behaviors of the xen on reboot ? in case we comment this line from config... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Not able to start cron service in Solaris 10

Hi, This is Solaris-10 x86. I am not able to start cron service, configured in FMRI. It is in maintenance and when I clear it, it seems like calling and failing on /etc/init.d/tcs-rtm script. I am not able to figure out, why cron is calling that script, if this failure is because of that. Cron... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Howto auto boot SPARC | How to auto supply "start /SYS" and "start /SP/console" commands

When I power ON my T4-1, I got a prompt -> where I have to start /SYS and start /SP/console. How can I auto supply these two commands ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
3 Replies
snmp_config(4)							   File Formats 						    snmp_config(4)

NAME
snmp_config - overview of Net-SNMP configuration files SYNOPSIS
snmp_config DESCRIPTION
This page gives an overview of the various configuration files used by the Net-SNMP software that is shipped with the Solaris operating system. In a configuration file, lines beginning with a hash character (#) are treated as a comment and are not parsed. Search Order By default, the Net-SNMP applications look for configuration files in the following directories in the order listed: 1. /etc/sma/snmp 2. /usr/sfw/lib 3. $HOME/.snmp In each of these directories, the Net-SNMP applications look for files with the extensions .conf and local.conf, in that order. The default search path described above can be overridden by setting the environment variable SNMPCONFPATH to a colon-separated list of directories. SNMPCONFPATH is used to allow users to place configuration files in specific directories for their application needs. Cur- rently defaulted to /etc/sma/snmp and /usr/local/share/snmp. Applications that store persistent data will also look in the /var/net-snmp directory for configuration files. Switching Configuration Types in Mid-File You can switch in mid-file the configuration type that the parser is supposed to be reading. For example, assume you want to turn on packet dumping output for the agent by default, but you do not want to turn on packet dumping for the rest of the applications (such as snmpget and snmpwalk). Normally, to enable packet dumping, you would enter a line such as the one below in the snmp.conf file: dumpPacket true Such a line turns on packet dumping for all of the applications. Instead, you can put the same line in the snmpd.conf file so that it applies only to the snmpd daemon. However, you need to tell the parser to expect this line. You do this by putting a special, type-specifi- cation token inside square brackets. For example, inside your snmpd.conf file you can enter: [snmp] dumpPacket true This tells the parser to parse the line as if it were inside a snmp.conf file instead of an snmpd.conf file. If you want to parse multiple lines rather than just one, you can make the context switch apply to the remainder of the file or until the next context switch directive by putting the special token on a line by itself: # make this file handle snmp.conf tokens: [snmp] dumpPacket true logTimestamp true # return to our original snmpd.conf tokens: [snmpd] rocommunity mypublic ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWsmcmd | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
snmpd.conf(4), attributes(5), sma_snmp(5) SunOS 5.10 16 Jan 2004 snmp_config(4)