Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to auto start a service on rebooting a Solaris 5.10 x86 machine? Post 302764147 by zazzybob on Thursday 31st of January 2013 03:48:08 AM
Old 01-31-2013
With Solaris 10, you'll need to create an SMF manifest, import it via svccfg import, and administer the service via svcadm. Whilst legacy "init" scripts are still supported, you should definitely be using SMF where possible.

Understanding SMF is beyond the scope of a forum post, so I'd suggest reading the appropriate documentation on the Oracle site for further information.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to supress a UI popup at the time of Service start up in solaris-10

Hi, I have written a service script(service.sh) for my application which will add my application(BTINM) as service and start the service. Internally inside the script i will call the sh script which will start my application server. When my application server starts a UI opens saying that the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: krevathi1912
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Auto Start/Stop Didnt Work in Solaris 10

Hi...all database - 10g Rs 2 with ASM platform - Sun Solaris V890 64bit This is the step i use to auto start the database n ASM: (auto start can start but need to kill lsvcrun first) 1 dbora---script 2 start_shutdown_asm.ksh---script 3. Dbora file must be put under /etc/init.d directory... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive?

How can I install Solaris 10 x86 on a machine without a DVD drive? Is there a way to boot from a flash stick or install it through a network? Any help will be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

4. Solaris

x86 Sun Machine and Solaris Soft Mirror

Hi everyone, Normally it always easier in Sparc machine, i can set or manually use the boot-device in NVram to boot the mirrored disk. However I have a big trouble about x86 mirror for a long time. I have been doing anything i can: search document, google, ask the others. Recently i did as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
5 Replies

5. Solaris

How to auto start MySQL server on Opensolaris after rebooting the machine?

Hi, In Linux, I will do it by editing the /etc/rc.d/rc.local . However, I can't find a rc.local file in Opensolaris. So, how can I do it in Opensolaris? I am new to opensolaris, so please teach me step by step. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlexCheung
4 Replies

6. Solaris

is there an veritas volume manager version compatible with solaris x86 machine?

i heard some where veritas volume manager wont work on solaris x86. i have installed vmware into my 32bit xp machine. i am planning to learn veritas.. is there an veritas volume manager version compatible with solaris x86 machine? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Disable xen machine to auto start on reboot

Hello Guys - I need to disable xen server not to start when the server is rebooted. 1) What is the parameter to be used to do this..below is the entry in my config file... on_reboot = "restart" 2) What is the default behaviors of the xen on reboot ? in case we comment this line from config... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Not able to start cron service in Solaris 10

Hi, This is Solaris-10 x86. I am not able to start cron service, configured in FMRI. It is in maintenance and when I clear it, it seems like calling and failing on /etc/init.d/tcs-rtm script. I am not able to figure out, why cron is calling that script, if this failure is because of that. Cron... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ron323232
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Howto auto boot SPARC | How to auto supply "start /SYS" and "start /SP/console" commands

When I power ON my T4-1, I got a prompt -> where I have to start /SYS and start /SP/console. How can I auto supply these two commands ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
3 Replies
smf_bootstrap(5)					Standards, Environments, and Macros					  smf_bootstrap(5)

NAME
smf_bootstrap - service management facility boot, packaging, and compatibility behavior DESCRIPTION
The service management facility defines a series of conventions for importing the configuration contained within a service manifest or pro- file into a repository. Manifest loading at boot At system start, svc.startd(1M) run in default mode begins processing the manifests located in /var/svc/manifest and importing new or changed manifests into the repositorty. The decision to import a service manifest is based on the existence of a property group in the svc:/smf/manifest service with the following characteristics: o The name of the property group is the name of the imported manifest with non-alphanumeric characters replaced by underscore (_) char- acters. o The properties of the property group are set based on the manifest contents. The manifest is not reimported in the event that configuration changes are made to the repository by an administrator. Such configuration changes might include the deletion of one or more services or service instances contained within the manifest. The /var/svc/manifest/site directory is provided for site-specific customizations. The deletion of a property group by means of svccfg(1M) or libscf(3LIB) interfaces allows the manifest to be reimported on a subsequent system boot. Manifest handling during packaging operations Service manifests within packages are identified with the class manifest. Class action scripts that install and remove service manifests are included in the packaging subsystem. When pkgadd(1M) is invoked, the service manifest is imported. When pkgrm(1M) is invoked, instances in the manifest that are disabled are deleted. Any services in the manifest with no remaining instances are also deleted. Stability declarations Each service group and each property group delivered in a manifest should declare a stability level based on attributes(5) definitions. With knowledge of the stability level, an application developer can determine the likelihood that feature development based on the exis- tence or components of a service or object is likely to remain functional across a release boundary. In an smf(5) context, the stability value also identifies the expected scope of the changes to properties within the property group across a release boundary for the service, which can include patches for that service. The following two sections discuss this in more detail. Property overrides The service_bundle(4) document type definition includes an override attribute that is applicable to each property in a service manifest. If set to true, the attribute instructs svccfg(1M) and other manifest import tools to replace the current value of a property in the reposi- tory with the one from the manifest. If the override attribute is absent or present but set to false, the current value in the repository is preserved. Property groups declared as Stable do not contain override attributes on enclosed properties. Property groups declared as Evolving do so only to correct an erroneous setting. Property groups declared as Unstable can contain overrides on any property. The exception to this behavior is for the stability property itself, which can be modified to identify incipient change to the interface presented by the ser- vice. Property group deletion The service_bundle(4) document type definition includes a delete attribute, applicable to each property group in a service manifest. If set to true, the delete attribute instructs svccfg(1M) and other manifest import tools to delete this property group from the repository. If the delete attribute is absent or present but set to false, the property group in the repository is preserved. Property groups declared as Stable or Evolving are not deleted. Property groups declared as Unstable can be deleted across any release boundary. Profile application The first time the existence of each of the three service profiles listed below is detected, svc.startd(1M) automatically applies the pro- file. /var/svc/profile/generic.xml /var/svc/profile/platform.xml /var/svc/profile/site.xml The svc:/smf/manifest service is used in a similar fashion. Additional service profiles that characterize the activation of various groups of service instances might be present in /var/svc/profile. None of the /var/svc/profile profiles are automatically applied to the repository. A profile can be manually applied or re-applied using svcadm(1M). SEE ALSO
pkgadd(1M), pkgrm(1M), svcadm(1M), svccfg(1M), svc.startd(1M), libscf(3LIB), service_bundle(4), attributes(5), smf(5), smf_security(5) NOTES
The present version of smf(5) does not support multiple repositories. SunOS 5.10 27 Aug 2004 smf_bootstrap(5)