Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do you get the last modification date of a file? Post 302764019 by itkamaraj on Wednesday 30th of January 2013 10:29:03 PM
Old 01-30-2013
you can get the last modification time from your ls command output.

Code:

ls -l $1 | awk -v y=`date +%Y` 'BEGIN{a="  JanFebMarAprMayJunJulAugSepOctNovDec"}{if($8~/:/){$8=y}print $8"-"index(a,$6)/3"-"$7}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command for modification date of a file

Good morning, I would like to find all files of a certain type and display their name as well as their modification date. In order to do this, I would do the following: find ./ -name *.csv | ???????? My question: what to put after the pipe instead of the question marks? Is there a basic... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scampsd
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search by modification date

Hi I'd like to know if is it possible to find files given a certain modification date (say, 01-05-2006, that's 1st of May 2006) I can calculate the days backward: find / -ctime 23 but I wish to search by exact modification day Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: slink
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script: last modification date for a file

Hi i have a ques in Shell scripting: ques: accept a filename as a command line argument. Validate the input and display the last modification date for that file. Help pls. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

List the file or files with last modification date

hi. I need help my programing friends :p I need to list all the files with a certain name (for example FileName) by last modification date but only the one with the last date. If there are two files with the same name and same modification date it should print the both. For example in this set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KitFisto
6 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

How do I get at the modification date for a file as a variable for a script?

I realize this is basic and probably obvious, but I'm pulling my hair out. I'm guessing this is just some flag on the file command or somesuch, but I can't find it. Help me get unstuck please? EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is once I've got the ls -l output for a file, what command do I use to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timespike
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Last modification date without 'ls'

Hi, I'm executing a script to check if a file has been modified on a shared folder. I use this to start another script every time the file has been modified. To do this I use the 'ls' command to get the last modification date of the file. My problem is that the computer hosting the shared... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peuj
5 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

get file modification date in number format (yyyy mm dd hh mm ss)

How do i get the file modification date in number format (yyyy mm dd hh mm ss) i used ls -l pathname but month is still in text "Aug" and year and time is not allways shown. time is show if it is in this year. and year is shown if it is before this year. what do i need to get... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvdokkum
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Modification

Hello all ! I have a piece of code that generates the date of one day ago: /usr/bin/gdate --date='1 day ago' | awk '{print $2 " " $3}' Nov 3 I want the output to be in the form : Nov 03 What other operation should I do for that ? Help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
2 Replies

9. Programming

File date/time modification and permissions

First, oh great Unix gurus, forgive if this is a stupid question. Unix/Linux is not my main thing but I have been programming in C/C++ for many years. I will do my best to be specific. I have a program in C/C++ that needs to modify the time of a given file. Currently I do this using utime()... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pug
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subtract a file's modification date with current date

SunOS -s 5.10 Generic_147440-04 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise Hi, In a folder, there are files. I have a script which reads the current date and subtract the modification date of each file. How do I achieve this? Regards, Joe (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: roshanbi
2 Replies
Devel::Refcount(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				      Devel::Refcount(3pm)

NAME
"Devel::Refcount" - obtain the REFCNT value of a referent SYNOPSIS
use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); my $anon = []; print "Anon ARRAY $anon has " . refcount($anon) . " reference "; my $otherref = $anon; print "Anon ARRAY $anon now has " . refcount($anon) . " references "; DESCRIPTION
This module provides a single function which obtains the reference count of the object being pointed to by the passed reference value. FUNCTIONS
$count = refcount($ref) Returns the reference count of the object being pointed to by $ref. COMPARISON WITH SvREFCNT This function differs from "Devel::Peek::SvREFCNT" in that SvREFCNT() gives the reference count of the SV object itself that it is passed, whereas refcount() gives the count of the object being pointed to. This allows it to give the count of any referent (i.e. ARRAY, HASH, CODE, GLOB and Regexp types) as well. Consider the following example program: use Devel::Peek qw( SvREFCNT ); use Devel::Refcount qw( refcount ); sub printcount { my $name = shift; printf "%30s has SvREFCNT=%d, refcount=%d ", $name, SvREFCNT($_[0]), refcount($_[0]); } my $var = []; printcount 'Initially, $var', $var; my $othervar = $var; printcount 'Before CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; my $code = sub { undef $var }; printcount 'After CODE ref, $var', $var; printcount '$othervar', $othervar; This produces the output Initially, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=1 Before CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 After CODE ref, $var has SvREFCNT=2, refcount=2 $othervar has SvREFCNT=1, refcount=2 Here, we see that SvREFCNT() counts the number of references to the SV object passed in as the scalar value - the $var or $othervar respectively, whereas refcount() counts the number of reference values that point to the referent object - the anonymous ARRAY in this case. Before the CODE reference is constructed, both $var and $othervar have SvREFCNT() of 1, as they exist only in the current lexical pad. The anonymous ARRAY has a refcount() of 2, because both $var and $othervar store a reference to it. After the CODE reference is constructed, the $var variable now has an SvREFCNT() of 2, because it also appears in the lexical pad for the new anonymous CODE block. PURE-PERL FALLBACK An XS implementation of this function is provided, and is used by default. If the XS library cannot be loaded, a fallback implementation in pure perl using the "B" module is used instead. This will behave identically, but is much slower. Rate pp xs pp 225985/s -- -66% xs 669570/s 196% -- SEE ALSO
o Test::Refcount - assert reference counts on objects AUTHOR
Paul Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> perl v5.14.2 2011-11-15 Devel::Refcount(3pm)