Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Looping/Reading file contents not working Post 302764017 by bakunin on Wednesday 30th of January 2013 10:26:58 PM
Old 01-30-2013
At first sight your code looks correct (save for some minor things which shouldn't matter here), so try to isolate the problem. What does

Code:
typeset dbcontent="/usr/home/listname.txt"
typeset dbname=""
echo "Enter userid" 
read USERID
echo "Enter passwd:"
stty -echo
read -s PASSWD
stty echo

while read dbname; do
     echo "DBNAME is: $dbname"
     #Connect to SQLPlus
     #sqlplus -S  test/test123@$dbname << EOF
     #select ora_database_name from dual;
     #prompt my name is $USERID and my password is $PASSWD;
     #exit;
#EOF
done < "$dbcontent"

do? Does it still go only once through the loop, then probably something with the input file is wrong (unprintable characters or the like). Is the problem gone, then something with the sqlplus-command is responsible. Either way you know more then than you know now.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading specific contents from a file and appending it to another file

Hi, I need to write a shell script (ksh) to read contents starting at a specific location from one file and append the contents at specific location in another file. Please find below the contents of the source file that I need to read the contents from, File 1 -----# more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnicky
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading and printing one by one contents of a file

I have a file which has following contents: localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552455.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552460.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552467.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552759.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552969.xml localhost_IP_SIP_1233026552975.xml ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading file,looping and limitation

I have 2 functions on AIX. Func_A () { .... .... } Func_B () { .... .... } And I have a abc.txt file (multiple lines) and I would like to read line by line and pass line by line to Func_A & Func_B. once Func_A is done,pass same value to Func_B and in the mean time get second line from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jang
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Report and Reading data and fetching the details from contents file

Data I was trying to write shell script which will be return the output in the below format First i was trying to do these using sed. sed -n '/.ksh/p' mainksh.ksh sed -e 's/*\(.*\)/\1/g' mainksh.ksh $RUN_DIR, $SUB_DIR and the variables which will be defined in the profile file. when i am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameshds
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

While or For with looping contructs? to create files from contents of a text file

Hi so far I created this script: vi loop.beta.sh for i in `cat extract.filenames.tabc` do echo $i done>$i === This is the original text file. $ more tabc.txt -rwx------- 1 alice staff 1586 2010-11-05 02:27 request-key .conf -rwx------- 1 ted staff 126 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf@=NK
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading file contents until a keyword

Hi Guys, I need to read a file until I find a blank line. and in the next iteration I want to continue reading from the line I find a keyword. For ex: my file looks like PDS_JOB_ALIAS CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE PDS_JOB_CRITERIA_ITEM CRITERIA_ITEM_TYPE First I want to read the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: infintenumbers
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the contents of the file and splitting using ksh

We're using a ksh script for installing one product. I've another config file, I'd need to read this configuration file from my main script Content of the Configuration file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittu129
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with looping through file contents

Hi, I have a several files with ".out" extension in a folder and each file has the below like contents .... appname: wonder1 ..... logname78.log logname88.log ..... CAP: 2 ..... appname: wonder54 ...... logname28.log logname58.log logname54.log ..... CAP: 3 ..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed replace file contents by reading from another file

Hello, My input file1 is like this by tab-delimited chr1 mm10_knownGene stop_codon 3216022 3216024 0.000000 - . gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; chr1 mm10_knownGene CDS 3216025 3216968 0.000000 - 2 gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh Script, Reading A File, Grepping A File Contents In Another File

So I'm stumped. First... APOLOGIES... my work is offline in an office that has zero internet connectivity, as required by our client. If need be, I could print out my script attempts and retype them here. But on the off chance... here goes. I have a text file (file_source) of terms, each line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brusimm
3 Replies
MYSQL_FIELD_NAME(3)							 1						       MYSQL_FIELD_NAME(3)

mysql_field_name - Get the name of the specified field in a result

SYNOPSIS
Warning This extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information. Alternatives to this function include: omysqli_fetch_field_direct(3) [name] or [orgname] o PDOStatement::getColumnMeta [name] string mysql_field_name (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
mysql_field_name(3) returns the name of the specified field index. o $ result -The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mysql_query(3). o $ field_offset -The numerical field offset. The $field_offset starts at 0. If $field_offset does not exist, an error of level E_WARNING is also issued. The name of the specified field index on success or FALSE on failure. Example #1 mysql_field_name(3) example <?php /* The users table consists of three fields: * user_id * username * password. */ $link = mysql_connect('localhost', 'mysql_user', 'mysql_password'); if (!$link) { die('Could not connect to MySQL server: ' . mysql_error()); } $dbname = 'mydb'; $db_selected = mysql_select_db($dbname, $link); if (!$db_selected) { die("Could not set $dbname: " . mysql_error()); } $res = mysql_query('select * from users', $link); echo mysql_field_name($res, 0) . " "; echo mysql_field_name($res, 2); ?> The above example will output: user_id password Note Field names returned by this function are case-sensitive. Note For backward compatibility, the following deprecated alias may be used: mysql_fieldname(3) mysql_field_type(3), mysql_field_len(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQL_FIELD_NAME(3)