Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking IP address to host name conversion Post 302763573 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 30th of January 2013 06:59:19 AM
Old 01-30-2013
I don't think there is a way. It is up to google what PTR records they provide for reverse lookups. You could use whois to try and find the IP-address owner..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Host IP address for a telnet session

I am using Tru64UX 5.1a on alphaserver 4100. Users access the application through Telnet sessions to this server. My requirement is to limit the users login through their PCs only. Is there any way I can accomplish this on the unix box ? I want to include a script in the .profile ( or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shauche
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Host ID vs MAC Address

Hi, I've got a Sun Solaris machine with host ID (840f8e57) and MAC address (0:14:4f:f:8e:57), how do I: 1. Write the MAC address in standard (IEEE 802) format, i.e. xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx? Do I need to add 0's before or after the 'f', i.e. 00-14-4f-0f-8e-57 or 00-14-4f-f0-8e-57? 2. What is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBlueSky
4 Replies

3. Programming

host name to IP address

There's a piece in a C program I'm writing (Linux) that simply needs to take a host name and return an IP address (e.g., take 'mail.gnu.org' and return 199.232.76.166). I've gotten a successful status from getaddrinfo, but don't see any of the fields in the result structure that has what I'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
7 Replies

4. Solaris

How to get the IP address / Host name of client machine

Hi How to get the IP address / Host name of a particular user connected to Unix Server. For example: If used 'DevUser1' is connected to Unix server. I need to find out from which PC this connection has been made. How can this be achieved? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVL
6 Replies

5. Solaris

No value in Ethernet address and Host ID at Ok prompt

Hi All, In Ultra 10 at time system is not displaying value for Ethernet address and Host ID. Also, when i am trying to change the value of environment variables i am getting below message and value is not changing Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

6. AIX

function trace back and address to line number conversion

Hi, I am new to AIX and I am developing a small tool for our product which helps debug memory leaks etc. Q1)Is there a way in which i can get a function trace back as to the call (lets say malloc() )has been made in which file--> in which function. I tried using the #pragma options (... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wkdunreal
0 Replies

7. Programming

get host name by IP address

I'm trying to write a function to get the host name of any given IP address. I'm trying to follow this manual but I'm stuck. I'm using gcc and Linux. Any ideas? getnameinfo() #include <stdio.h> #include <netdb.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> char... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

IP address to decimal format conversion

I have a file which consist of some class 4 IP address as 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.100 192.168.1.30 172.16.112.100 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.50 i want to store them in pure decimal notations instead of the given dotted decimal formats e.g.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Static IP Address setup for vm as well as the host system

Hello, Greetings!! I have a server with 3 TB of disk space and 12 GB RAM and a i7 processor. What I did thus far is to install Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL 5.7)as the host system and install Oracle Virtual box and created 3 VM's. Installed OEL 5.7 on one of the VM, working on installing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rparavastu
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for Host Name to IP Address or Vice Versa

Hi, In unix or linux is there any command exist to identify Host Name to IP Address or Vice Versa? Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
6 Replies
NE_ADDR_RESOLVE(3)						neon API reference						NE_ADDR_RESOLVE(3)

NAME
ne_addr_resolve, ne_addr_result, ne_addr_first, ne_addr_next, ne_addr_error, ne_addr_destroy - functions to resolve hostnames to addresses SYNOPSIS
#include <ne_socket.h> ne_sock_addr *ne_addr_resolve(const char *hostname, int flags); int ne_addr_result(const ne_sock_addr *addr); const ne_inet_addr *ne_addr_first(ne_sock_addr *addr); const ne_inet_addr *ne_addr_next(ne_sock_addr *addr); char *ne_addr_error(const ne_sock_addr *addr, char *buffer, size_t bufsiz); void ne_addr_destroy(ne_sock_addr *addr); DESCRIPTION
The ne_addr_resolve function resolves the given hostname, returning an ne_sock_addr object representing the address (or addresses) associated with the hostname. The flags parameter is currently unused, and must be passed as 0. The hostname passed to ne_addr_resolve can be a DNS hostname (e.g. "www.example.com") or an IPv4 dotted quad (e.g. "192.0.34.72"); or, on systems which support IPv6, an IPv6 hex address, which may be enclosed in brackets, e.g. "[::1]". To determine whether the hostname was successfully resolved, the ne_addr_result function is used, which returns non-zero if an error occurred. If an error did occur, the ne_addr_error function can be used, which will copy the error string into a given buffer (of size bufsiz). The functions ne_addr_first and ne_addr_next are used to retrieve the Internet addresses associated with an address object which has been successfully resolved. ne_addr_first returns the first address; ne_addr_next returns the next address after the most recent call to ne_addr_next or ne_addr_first, or NULL if there are no more addresses. The ne_inet_addr pointer returned by these functions can be passed to ne_sock_connect to connect a socket. After the address object has been used, it should be destroyed using ne_addr_destroy. RETURN VALUE
ne_addr_resolve returns a pointer to an address object, and never NULL. ne_addr_error returns the buffer parameter . EXAMPLES
The code below prints out the set of addresses associated with the hostname www.google.com. ne_sock_addr *addr; char buf[256]; addr = ne_addr_resolve("www.google.com", 0); if (ne_addr_result(addr)) { printf("Could not resolve www.google.com: %s ", ne_addr_error(addr, buf, sizeof buf)); } else { const ne_inet_addr *ia; printf("www.google.com:"); for (ia = ne_addr_first(addr); ia != NULL; ia = ne_addr_next(addr)) { printf(" %s", ne_iaddr_print(ia, buf, sizeof buf)); } putchar(' '); } ne_addr_destroy(addr); SEE ALSO
ne_iaddr_print AUTHOR
Joe Orton <neon@lists.manyfish.co.uk> Author. COPYRIGHT
neon 0.30.0 31 July 2013 NE_ADDR_RESOLVE(3)