Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: LPAR,DLPAR and WPAR
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users LPAR,DLPAR and WPAR Post 302763237 by MichaelFelt on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 06:41:47 PM
Old 01-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cero
A DLPAR (Dynamic Logical Partition) is a LPAR that you can reconfigure dynamically without shutting down the OS running there.
What I read about WPAR (didn't work with those) says they are for OS level virtualisation giving you the opportunity to isolate your applications under AIX.
would be better to think of DLPAR as an operation to dynamically alter a virtual machine aka LPAR.

WPAR can be seen as the AIX implementation of the jail concept. Solaris has a similar construct known as containers. WPAR differentiate from others in that there are two types - system and application WPAR's.
An application WPAR isolates the application encapsulating the application in a protected environment that can be moved between AIX systems running at the same level.
A system WPAR appears as if it is a regular system. if you know where to look you can see the difference. System WPAR are also mobile capable.

Hope this helps.
This User Gave Thanks to MichaelFelt For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Dlpar

Hi, Anybody had a problem trying to rmdev a scsi device and get the following error : root@:/> rmdev -dlscsi3 -R Method error (/usr/lib/methods/ucfgncr_scsi): 0514-062 Cannot perform the requested function because the specified device is busy. I can't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stumpy
1 Replies

2. AIX

DLPAR Error

Hello, This is the foll error wen i try doin DLPAR from my VIO after adding the virtual adpaters on my clients: HSCL294C DLPAR ADD Virtual I/O resources failed: com.ibm.hsc.common.exceptions.PIHscClientException: HSCL294C DLPAR ADD Virtual I/O... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lildudesaif
0 Replies

3. AIX

LPAR freezes after switching of storage (lpar is mirrored)

Hi all, I have the following configuration 2 ds3524 storage disk systems located over 2 locations 2 P720 server located over 2 locations DS3524 are connected to san switch. Each vio server has 1 fc adapter attached to a san switch. per p720 server 2 virtual io servers. Vio 1 has 1 lun... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: markiemark
2 Replies

4. AIX

Virtualization: WPAR vs LPAR

seems to be WPAR is quite easy to set up..without additional licenses.. If I don't need Linux and all my legacy and new apps are happy in AIX 7.1 (the latest OS), I could save all troubles and use WPAR. Can someone comment on this ?? One copy of OS to maintain, so to speak.. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
4 Replies

5. AIX

HMC - tracking dlpar

I am trying to generate a report to track dlpar operation performed on a MS and was wondering if anyone has done this before. I can get history from HMC using lssvcevents , but this does not give me details as to what quantity was added or removed . Any thoughts ? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mk8570
3 Replies

6. AIX

DLPAR capable with IVM - checks to do

I cannot find the post with the comment that DLPAR capability was not working with IVM. The two commands that need to be run are (as root, padmin does not know this command): VIOS: lsrsrc IBM.MngNode CLIENTS: lsrsrc IBM.MCP Examples: # lsrsrc IBM.MngNode Resource Persistent Attributes for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MichaelFelt
2 Replies

7. AIX

Versioned WPAR's

Hi everybody. is anyone using versioned WPAR's? Has anyone clustered them with PowerHA? Please share your experience. Regards, firefox (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox111
7 Replies

8. AIX

How to differentiate between a standalone LPAR and a VIOC (which again is a lpar)?

There can be configurations in IBM Server wherein a standalone partition is created on some supported IBM Server Or A VIOS - VIOC LPARs created. Now in both cases they are lpars. But if I want to differentiate b/w a standalone LPAR vs an VIOC LPAR how can I do..? On a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manish00712
2 Replies

9. AIX

AIX: DLPAR VFC - HMC v9

Hey All, I have running dual VIOS on a P9 systems, and just created a new LPAR profile. My objective is to create LPAR Client VFC adapters, and then DLPAR VFC Server adapters on the VIOS. In the HMC v9 Enhanced GUI, I have DLPAR a VFC adapter to both VIOS, however, you can't specify the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixkidbee
1 Replies

10. AIX

LPAR RMC state for DLPAR

Hello, I have checked the state of rmc on the HMC as below: HMC1:~> lssyscfg -r lpar -m Server-xxx -F lpar_id,state,rmc_state,rmc_ipaddr,os_version,dlpar_mem_capable,dlpar_proc_capable,dlpar_io_capable --filter "lpar_ids=4" 4,Running,inactive,10.176.x.x,VIOS 2.2.6.51,0,0,0 HMC1:~> lssyscfg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phat
2 Replies
NAME
cgi-fcgi - bridge from CGI to FastCGI SYNOPSIS
cgi-fcgi -f cmdPath cgi-fcgi -bind -connect connName cgi-fcgi -start -connect connName appPath [nServers] cgi-fcgi -connect connName appPath [nServers] DESCRIPTION
cgi-fcgi is a CGI/1.1 program that communicates with an already-running FastCGI application in order to respond to an HTTP request. cgi-fcgi is also capable of starting a FastC- GI
application. When you invoke cgi-fcgi as cgi-fcgi -f cmdPath then cgi-fcgi opens the file at cmdPath and reads its arguments from that file. cgi-fcgi will skip lines that begin with the comment character #. The first non-comment line should contain valid arguments in one of the other three forms. The -f form of cgi-fcgi is designed for Unix systems whose exec(2) family of system calls supports the execution of command interpreter files. For instance, if a file with execute permission contains the text #! /bin/cgi-fcgi -f -connect /httpd/root/sock/app /httpd/root/bin/app the effect is the same as executing /bin/cgi-fcgi -connect /httpd/root/sock/app /httpd/root/bin/app When you invoke cgi-fcgi as cgi-fcgi -bind -connect connName the connName argument is either the path name of a Unix do- main listening socket or a host:port pair. If connName contains a colon, it is assumed to be host:port. cgi-fcgi performs a connect(2) using connName. If the connect succeeds, cgi- fcgi forwards the CGI environment variables and stdin data to the FastCGI application, and forwards the stdout and stderr data from the application to cgi-fcgi's stdout (most likely connected to a Web server). When the FastCGI application signals the end of its response, cgi-fcgi flushes its buffers and exits, and the Web server completes the http response. When you invoke cgi-fcgi as cgi-fcgi -start -connect connName appPath [nServers] then cgi-fcgi performs the function of starting one or more FastCGI application processes. The connName argument speci- fies either the path name of the Unix domain listening socket that cgi-fcgi will create, or is "localhost:NNN" where NNN is the port number of the TCP/IP listening socket that cgi-fcgi will create on the local machine. (cgi-fcgi will not create processes on remote machines.) After cgi-fcgi creates the listening socket, it forks nServers copies of a process running the executable file appPath. If nServers is omitted, the effect is as if the value ";1" had been specified. The processes share the single listen- ing socket. When you invoke cgi-fcgi as cgi-fcgi -connect connName appPath [nServers] cgi-fcgi performs -bind and then, if necssary, performs -start and repeats the -bind. That is, cgi-fcgi first operates as if the command had been cgi-fcgi -bind -connect connName If the connect fails, cgi-fcgi tries cgi-fcgi -start -connect connName appPath [nServers] and finally retries cgi-fcgi -bind -connect connName In this form, cgi-fcgi does not support TCP/IP connections. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The usual CGI ones, but they are not interpreted by cgi-fc- gi. SEE ALSO
FGCI_accept(3) BUGS
cgi-fcgi doesn't generate useful HTTP responses in case of error, and it generates no response at all when run as start-fcgi. On Digital UNIX 3.0 systems the implementation of Unix Do- main sockets does not work when such sockets are stored on NFS file systems. Symptom: cgi-fcgi may core dump or may exit with status 38. Work-around: store sockets in local file systems (/tmp often works) or use TCP/IP. On AIX systems the implementation of listening sockets does not support socket sharing, and the standard FastCGI application libraries can't synchronize access to AIX lis- tening sockets. Work-around: Don't use the nServers argument on AIX. HISTORY
Copyright (c) 1996 Open Market, Inc. See the file "LICENSE.TERMS" for information on usage and redistribution of this file, and for a DISCLAIMER OF ALL WARRANTIES. $Id: cgi-fcgi.1,v 1.1.1.1 1997/09/16 15:36:26 stanleyg Exp $