Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Split the file and access that files through array and loop Post 302762887 by vbe on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 07:51:09 AM
Old 01-29-2013
Yes?
And what have you done so far?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Access value outside awk or split value of array

Hello I am new to Unix. Please help me out. My Scenario: I am first collecting all the file names present in the directory with structure myinfo/yourinfo/supplierinfo I have four files with the names myCollector.java, yourCollector.java, someCollector.java, everyCollector.java. in the directory.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jason.bean
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

split and making an array inside another array

I want to run an awk split on a value that has been pushed through an array and I was wondering what the syntax should be?? e.g. running time strings through an array and trying to examine just minutes: 12:25:30 10:15:13 08:55:23 awk ' NR==FNR{ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run a loop for assigning strings which are present in a file to an array

Hi Forum, I am struggling with the for loop in shell script. Let me explain what is needed in the script. I have a file which will conatin some strings like file1 place1 place2 place3 checkpoint some other text some more text Now what my requirement is the words ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siri_14
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not access variable outside loop when a reading a file

I am writing a shell script using the korn shell. It seems that I am only able to use local variables within a while loop that is reading a file. (I can't access a variable outside a previously used while loop.) It's been a while since I wrote shell scripts. Here is a sample cat file.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricardo.ludwig
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Push records to array during implicit loop and write to file

NEWBIE ALERT! Hi, I'm 1 month into learning Perl and done reading "Minimal Perl" by Tim Maher (which I enjoyed enoumously). I'm not a programmer by profession but want to use Perl to automate various tasks at my job. I have a problem (obviously) and are looking for your much appreciated help.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jospan
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem access array outside of loop in bash

Below is a test script I was trying to use so that I could understand why the logic was not working in a larger script. While accessing and printing array data inside the while loop, everything is fine. Outside the loop, i guess everything is null?? The for loop that is meant to cycle... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adlmostwanted
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk loop using array:wish to store array values from loop for use outside loop

Here's my code: awk -F '' 'NR==FNR { if (/time/ && $5>10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":"($5-01) else if (/time/ && $5<01) A=$2" "$3":"$4-01":"(59-$5) else if (/time/ && $5<=10) A=$2" "$3":"$4":0"($5-01) else if (/close/) { B=0 n1=n2; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klane
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split list of files into an array and pass to function

There are two parts to this. In the first part I need to read a list of files from a directory and split it into 4 arrays. I have done that with the following code, # collect list of file names STATS_INPUT_FILENAMES=($(ls './'$SET'/'$FOLD'/'*'in.txt')) # get number of files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file into 10 different files

OS : RHEL 6.7 Shell : bash I have a text file with 5.97 million lines. I want to split this big file into 12 different files (in sequential order) so that each file will contain roughly 500K lines. I tried the following awk command after googling. But, it just created 2 files... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega3
5 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)