Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Small query regarding function "char * strerror(int errnum)" Post 302762679 by Corona688 on Tuesday 29th of January 2013 01:29:44 AM
Old 01-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen_218
The primary reason to ask this query is because of the fact that the MAN pages themselves not making me sure if the programmer needs to handle any kind of cleanup post calling strerror()? Just like the call to stat(), lstat(), fstat() which create objects of type struct stat on the heap itself (whose address is returned through the pointer struct stat *sb)
They do no such thing. Pointers do not work that way! You cannot "return an address" through a pointer you pass into a function, any more than you can return a number through a number you pass into a function.

You do not need to clean up after strerror -- or stat, lstat, or fstat, either.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to convert the "select" function into a "poll" function

i have a program using the select function but i want to convert it to poll... how can i do this? thanks in advance... :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rbolante
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. HP-UX

ERROR: more than one instance of overloaded function "vprintf" has "C" linkage

Hi people! I've got this own library: -------------------------------------------- Personal.h -------------------------------------------- #ifdef __cplusplus extern "C" { #endif #include <stdio.h> #include <stdarg.h> #include <string.h> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: donatoll
0 Replies

4. Solaris

significance of "+" char in SunOS "ls -l" output

Hi, I've noticed that the permissions output from "ls -l" under SunOS differs from Linux in that after the "rwxrwxrwx" field, there is an additional "+" character that may or may not be there. What is the significance of this character? Thanks, Suan (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sayeo
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move a line containg "char" above line containing "xchar"

Okay, so I have a rather large text file and will have to process many more and this will save me hours of work. I'm not very good at scripting, so bear with me please. Working on Linux RHEL I've been able to filter and edit and clean up using sed, but I have a problem with moving lines. ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rex007can
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
STRERROR(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       STRERROR(3)

NAME
strerror, strerror_r - return string describing error number SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char *strerror(int errnum); int strerror_r(int errnum, char *buf, size_t buflen); /* XSI-compliant */ char *strerror_r(int errnum, char *buf, size_t buflen); /* GNU-specific */ Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): The XSI-compliant version of strerror_r() is provided if: (_POSIX_C_SOURCE >= 200112L || _XOPEN_SOURCE >= 600) && ! _GNU_SOURCE Otherwise, the GNU-specific version is provided. DESCRIPTION
The strerror() function returns a pointer to a string that describes the error code passed in the argument errnum, possibly using the LC_MESSAGES part of the current locale to select the appropriate language. This string must not be modified by the application, but may be modified by a subsequent call to perror(3) or strerror(). No library function will modify this string. The strerror_r() function is similar to strerror(), but is thread safe. This function is available in two versions: an XSI-compliant ver- sion specified in POSIX.1-2001 (available since glibc 2.3.4), and a GNU-specific version (available since glibc 2.0). The XSI-compliant version is provided with the feature test macros settings shown in the SYNOPSIS; otherwise the GNU-specific version is provided. If no feature test macros are explicitly defined, then (since glibc 2.4) _POSIX_SOURCE is defined by default with the value 200112L, so that the XSI-compliant version of strerror_r() is provided by default. The XSI-compliant strerror_r() is preferred for portable applications. It returns the error string in the user-supplied buffer buf of length buflen. The GNU-specific strerror_r() returns a pointer to a string containing the error message. This may be either a pointer to a string that the function stores in buf, or a pointer to some (immutable) static string (in which case buf is unused). If the function stores a string in buf, then at most buflen bytes are stored (the string may be truncated if buflen is too small) and the string always includes a termi- nating null byte. RETURN VALUE
The strerror() and the GNU-specific strerror_r() functions return the appropriate error description string, or an "Unknown error nnn" mes- sage if the error number is unknown. The XSI-compliant strerror_r() function returns 0 on success; on error, -1 is returned and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
EINVAL The value of errnum is not a valid error number. ERANGE Insufficient storage was supplied to contain the error description string. CONFORMING TO
strerror() is specified by POSIX.1-2001, C89, C99. strerror_r() is specified by POSIX.1-2001. The GNU-specific strerror_r() function is a nonstandard extension. POSIX.1-2001 permits strerror() to set errno if the call encounters an error, but does not specify what value should be returned as the function result in the event of an error. On some systems, strerror() returns NULL if the error number is unknown. On other systems, str- error() returns a string something like "Error nnn occurred" and sets errno to EINVAL if the error number is unknown. SEE ALSO
err(3), errno(3), error(3), perror(3), strsignal(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2009-03-30 STRERROR(3)