Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read particular line in file from specific column? Post 302762121 by Peasant on Monday 28th of January 2013 05:55:26 AM
Old 01-28-2013
Use internal awk variable FILENAME

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

Hi, I have a file that has several values seperated by ":" 2006:John:Student:Football:Portugal:Cinema 2006:James:Engineer:Basket:Poland:Theatre 2007:Lucy:Diver:Gymnastic:England:Music 2007:Smith:Plumber:Basket:Spain:Poker I need make a filter based on the 5th field to find countries that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: efernandes
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the value from a specific line and column in to a csh variable

Hi All, Although its a basic question the last 2 hours of googling and trying didnt help me to achieve what i want. Maybe some one can help me I have a text file text1.txt: blablablabla A B C D E F and i would like to read to read what is on position E (line 3 column 2) in a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radamez
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

A script that read specific fileds from the 7th line in a file

Dear All, I need a unix script that will read the 7th line and especially these fileds from a file Mo speed 16, Mt speed 15 every 15 minutes starting from 00:00 to 23:45 on daily basis and put the result in a txt file and name it MT_MO_20090225.txt, please also note that the system date format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samura
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the value from a specific line and column BASH

Hi All, I have the same problem as the one posted in https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/96097-how-read-value-specific-line-column-csh-variable.html but I'm using bash. Can anyone tell me how I have to modify the code to make it bash compatible? eval `awk 'NR==3{print "set... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

read file line by line print column wise

I have a .csv file which is seperated with (;) inputfile --------- ZZZZ;AAAA;BBB;CCCC;DDD;EEE; YYYY;BBBB;CCC;DDDD;EEE;FFF; ... ... reading file line by line till end of file. while reading each line output format should be . i need to print only specific columns let say 5th... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how read specific line in a file and write it in a new text file?

I have list of files in a directory 'dir'. Each file is of type HTML. I need to read each file and get the string which starts with 'http' and write them in a new text file. How can i do this shell scripting? file1.html <head> <url>http://www.google.com</url> </head> file2.html <head>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file from nth line to specific character

Hi, I want to read the file from nth line (where n is an integer) to until I encounter @ char. Can any one please help me how to do this? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laalesh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep an empty line in a specific column of a file?

Suppose i have the following data : cat file.txt 12431,123334,55353,546646,14342234,4646,35234 123123,3535,123434,132535,1234134,13535,123534 123213,545465,23434,45646,2342345,4656,31243 2355425,2134324,53425,342,35235,23434,234535 3423424,234234,65465,,2344,35436,234524,234... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Tej
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To read specific line from a file

Hi, I have a ldif file like below: version: 1 dn: cn=Test Group,ou=Applications,dc=xyz,dc=com objectClass: groupOfUniqueNames objectClass: top cn: Test Group uniqueMember: uid=abc,ou=People,o=xyz,o=Corporate,dc=xyz,dc=com dn: cn=Test Sub Group,cn=Test... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurau
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Overwrite specific column in xml file with the specific column from adjacent line

I have an xml file dumped from rrd file, that I want to "patch" so the xml file doesn't contain any blank hole in the resulting graph of the rrd file. Here is the file. <!-- 2015-10-12 14:00:00 WIB / 1444633200 --> <row><v> 4.0419731265e+07 </v><v> 4.5045912770e+06... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rk4k
2 Replies
PSC(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PSC(1)

NAME
psc - prepare sc files SYNOPSIS
psc [-fLkrSPv] [-s cell] [-R n] [-C n] [-n n] [-d c] DESCRIPTION
Psc is used to prepare data for input to the spreadsheet calculator sc(1). It accepts normal ascii data on standard input. Standard out- put is a sc file. With no options, psc starts the spreadsheet in cell A0. Strings are right justified. All data on a line is entered on the same row; new input lines cause the output row number to increment by one. The default delimiters are tab and space. The column for- mats are set to one larger than the number of columns required to hold the largest value in the column. OPTIONS
-f Omit column width calculations. This option is for preparing data to be merged with an existing spreadsheet. If the option is not specified, the column widths calculated for the data read by psc will override those already set in the existing spreadsheet. -L Left justify strings. -k Keep all delimiters. This option causes the output cell to change on each new delimiter encountered in the input stream. The default action is to condense multiple delimiters to one, so that the cell only changes once per input data item. -r Output the data by row first then column. For input consisting of a single column, this option will result in output of one row with multiple columns instead of a single column spreadsheet. -s cell Start the top left corner of the spreadsheet in cell. For example, -s B33 will arrange the output data so that the spreadsheet starts in column B, row 33. -R n Increment by n on each new output row. -C n Increment by n on each new output column. -n n Output n rows before advancing to the next column. This option is used when the input is arranged in a single column and the spreadsheet is to have multiple columns, each of which is to be length n. -d c Use the single character c as the delimiter between input fields. -P Plain numbers only. A field is a number only when there is no imbedded [-+eE]. -S All numbers are strings. -v Print the version of psc SEE ALSO
sc(1) AUTHOR
Robert Bond PSC 7.16 19 September 2002 PSC(1)