Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Sendmail bounce to postmaster Post 302762075 by antonis3 on Monday 28th of January 2013 03:48:36 AM
Old 01-28-2013
Sendmail bounce to postmaster

Hello,

I am using sendmail for my mail server. Undelivered message bounce back to the postmaster with the body of the message. However, I dont want this to happen; senders should get the undelivered notification. I am not sure about the changes I have to make to the sendmail configuration for this.

thank you for your time , any suggestions are welcome

Regarsd

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail

When ever I start up linux the pc hangs for 10min due to send mail. Advice how do I disable or stop this from happening?:( (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: danny howell
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help me with bounce back mails.

I have the following doubt : I login on my Unix machine as 'myid' I send out mails from this id setting the Header Properties in sendmail command. (From : g-eacctst01). I try sending mail to a wrong id. Where will the bounce back mail be stored ? How can we link the bounce back messages to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amruta Pitkar
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to BOUNCE??

I am asked to bounce this particular service "Service1" I was told that this is about starting and stopping a service I should do this automatically automatic start then auto stop any ideas? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: khestoi
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail HELP

I am trying to configure sendmail for a client. I have edited my sendmail.cf as follows: # more sendmail.mc divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`@(#)sendmail.mc 1.11 (Sun) 06/21/04') OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl DOMAIN(`server.1.example.com)dnl DAEMON_OPTIONS('Port=smtp,ADR=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gibby13
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Had to bounce interface to add network route

Hi All, yesterday I was trying to add a network route to my solaris 8 host using 'route add'. Everytime I tried, I kept getting the response 'network is unreachable'. I was trying all kinds of different methods, however I eventually got it to work after bouncing the interface that I was... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

qmail bounce

Hello, i seem to be facing a strange problem. I send my emails via qmail (on linux) and all the emails gets delivered to the recipient's inbox and bounces back to the sender's address and well. This happens irrespective of the recipient's email domain (gmail, yahoo, hotmail...). We recently... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradeeptg
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sendmail questions, SCO 5.0.6 sendmail 8.11.0

I am running SCO 5.0.6 and using sendmail 8.11.0 and having issues with smtp authentication. When trying to send mail the following message will kick back. (reason: 530 5.7.1 Authentication required) 530 5.7.1 Authentication required Not sure what needs to be tweeked in sendmail.cf but I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ziggy6
1 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

Sendmail

Hi All, What is Sendmail.cf? What is it's significance? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Clarifying sendmail configuration - sendmail-client offline

Hi all, I have read about sendmail running as 2 separate process. 1 as a MSP, and the other as the real daemon or MTA. In my current configuration, the sendmail-client is disabled. Both submit.cf and sendmail.cf are left as default untouch I do not specified any mailhost... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: javanoob
3 Replies
BOUNCE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 BOUNCE(8)

NAME
bounce - Postfix message bounce or defer daemon SYNOPSIS
bounce [generic Postfix daemon options] DESCRIPTION
The bounce daemon maintains per-message log files with non-delivery status information. Each log file is named after the queue file that it corresponds to, and is kept in a queue subdirectory named after the service name in the master.cf file (either bounce or defer). This pro- gram expects to be run from the master(8) process manager. The bounce daemon processes two types of service requests: o Append a recipient status record to a per-message log file. o Post a bounce message, with a copy of a log file and of the corresponding message. When the bounce is posted successfully, the log file is deleted. The software does a best effort to notify the sender that there was a problem. A notification is sent even when the log file or original message cannot be read. Optionally, a client can request that the per-message log file be deleted when the requested operation fails. This is used by clients that cannot retry transactions by themselves, and that depend on retry logic in their own client. STANDARDS
RFC 822 (ARPA Internet Text Messages) RFC 1894 (Delivery Status Notifications) DIAGNOSTICS
Problems and transactions are logged to syslogd(8). BUGS
The log files use an ad-hoc, unstructured format. This will have to change in order to easily support standard delivery status notifica- tions. CONFIGURATION PARAMETERS
The following main.cf parameters are especially relevant to this program. See the Postfix main.cf file for syntax details and for default values. Use the postfix reload command after a configuration change. bounce_notice_recipient The recipient of single bounce postmaster notices. 2bounce_notice_recipient The recipient of double bounce postmaster notices. delay_notice_recipient The recipient of "delayed mail" postmaster notices. bounce_size_limit Limit the amount of original message context that is sent in a non-delivery notification. mail_name Use this mail system name in the introductory text at the start of a bounce message. notify_classes Notify the postmaster of bounced mail when this parameter includes the bounce class. For privacy reasons, the message body is not included. SEE ALSO
master(8) process manager qmgr(8) queue manager syslogd(8) system logging LICENSE
The Secure Mailer license must be distributed with this software. AUTHOR(S) Wietse Venema IBM T.J. Watson Research P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598, USA BOUNCE(8)