Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How to scp shadow file of b form system a? Post 302761837 by fpmurphy on Sunday 27th of January 2013 06:56:13 AM
Old 01-27-2013
You cannot copy /etc/shadow in the same way as you are scp'ing /etc/passwd and the other files you list. You need root permission to make this happen because of the mode (permissions) of /etc/shadow. Just doing a passwordless scp is not going to fix this issue for you.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Changing Unix form to Microsoft Word form to be able to email it to someone.

Please someone I need information on how to change a Unix form/document into a microsoft word document in order to be emailed to another company. Please help ASAP. Thankyou :confused: (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheraunm
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shadow file

Sirs, What is a shadow file,How it be usefull.For my project i have to keep the password in shawdow file also i am doing in php how can i do it. Thanks in advance, ArunKumar (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shadow file

what does 'x' in the encrypted password field in /etc/shaodw file represent? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbashir
3 Replies

4. Solaris

*LK* in /etc/shadow file

my etc/shadow file showing *LK* for a particular user.. can u tell me under which circumstances a user is locked (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

/etc/shadow file....

Does anyone know what "!!" represents in the password field of the /etc/shadow file? :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: avcert1998
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow File

I see conflicting definitions for the shadow file. For Solaris, what are the fields please? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DavidS
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using SCP command in IBM AIX to download file from remote to local system

Hi, When i run the code in solaris unix machine, the file from remote server is getting downloaded. but when i use the same code in IBM AIX remote machine, it is not running. It is saying "Erro during scp transfer." Below is the code. Please give some resolution. SCPClient client = new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gravi2020
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shadow file

Hi, In shadow file smithj:Ep6mckrOLChF.:10063:0:99999:7::: 3rd Field 10063 indicates the number of days (since January 1, 1970) since the password was last changed. I want to get the result with script the date on which the password was last changed in YYYY-MM-DD format. can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shadow file help

As a part of linux hardening In shadow file all Application accounts which are not locked must contain only an asterisk “*” in the Passwd field. But how would i do it by using command? Is there any way other than modifying shadow file to accomplish this task? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies
pwconv(1M)                                                System Administration Commands                                                pwconv(1M)

NAME
pwconv - installs and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd SYNOPSIS
pwconv DESCRIPTION
The pwconv command creates and updates /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. pwconv relies on a special value of 'x' in the password field of /etc/passwd. This value of 'x' indicates that the password for the user is already in /etc/shadow and should not be modified. If the /etc/shadow file does not exist, this command will create /etc/shadow with information from /etc/passwd. The command populates /etc/shadow with the user's login name, password, and password aging information. If password aging information does not exist in /etc/passwd for a given user, none will be added to /etc/shadow. However, the last changed information will always be updated. If the /etc/shadow file does exist, the following tasks will be performed: Entries that are in the /etc/passwd file and not in the /etc/shadow file will be added to the /etc/shadow file. Entries that are in the /etc/shadow file and not in the /etc/passwd file will be removed from /etc/shadow. Password attributes (for example, password and aging information) that exist in an /etc/passwd entry will be moved to the corre- sponding entry in /etc/shadow. The pwconv command can only be used by the super-user. FILES
/etc/opasswd /etc/oshadow /etc/passwd /etc/shadow ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
passwd(1), passmgmt(1M), usermod(1M), passwd(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
pwconv exits with one of the following values: 0 SUCCESS. 1 Permission denied. 2 Invalid command syntax. 3 Unexpected failure. Conversion not done. 4 Unexpected failure. Password file(s) missing. 5 Password file(s) busy. Try again later. 6 Bad entry in /etc/shadow file. SunOS 5.10 9 Mar 1993 pwconv(1M)