Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Concatenate 560 files in one
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Concatenate 560 files in one Post 302761789 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 27th of January 2013 02:27:37 AM
Old 01-27-2013
Just shell and cat:
Code:
{
  read filename
  cat "$filename"
  while read filename
  do
     {
       read                 # use "read; read" to skip two header lines
       cat
     } < "$filename"
  done
} < file_name.txt > concatenated_file

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to concatenate all files.

Hi, I'm totally new to Unix. I'm an MVS mainframer but ran into a situation where a Unix server I have available will help me. I want to be able to remotely connect to another server using FTP, login and MGET all files from it's root or home directory, logout, then login as a different user and do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s80bob
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

concatenate two files with different No of rows

need a shell which perform following function file 1 ( every time new data comes) 1212 2323 3434 4545 5656 . . . . file 2 (fixed line) update bc_tbl set aix=data , bix=back where cix=U and serial=; now when i execute shell it will concatinate file 1, file 2 & make file 3 as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: The_Archer
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

I have directory structure sales_only under which i have multiple directories for each dealer example: ../../../Sales_Only/xxx_Dealer ../../../Sales_Only/yyy_Dealer ../../../Sales_Only/zzz_Dealer Every day i have one file produce under each directory when the process runs. The requirement... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanmuthu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

Hi, I want to create a batch(bash) file to combine 23 files together. These files have the same extension. I want the final file is save to a given folder. Once it is done it will delete the 23 files. Thanks for help. Need script. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate files

I have a file named "file1" which has the following data 10000 20000 30000 And I have a file named "file2" which has the following data ABC DEF XYZ My output should be 10000ABC 20000DEF (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
3 Replies

6. Fedora

Concatenate Numerous Files

Hey! I wanted to find a text version of the Bible for purposes of grepping. The only files I could find, (in the translation I wanted), were Old Testament.txt and New Testament.txt. I thought, "fine, I'll just concatenate those two, no problemo." But when I unpacked them, turns out they had each... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
22 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate Several Files to One

Hi All, Need your help. I will need to concatenate around 100 files but each end of the file I will need to insert my name DIRT1228 on each of the file and before the next file is added and arrived with just one file for all the 100files. Appreciate your time. Dirt (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dirt1228
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files

Hi I am trying to learn linux step by step an i am wondering can i use cat command for concatenate files but i want to place context of file1 to a specific position in file2 place of file 2 and not at the end as it dose on default? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iliya24
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment.

- Concatenate files and delete source files. Also have to add a comment. - I need to concatenate 3 files which have the same characters in the beginning and have to remove those files and add a comment and the end. Example: cat REJ_FILE_ABC.txt REJ_FILE_XYZ.txt REJ_FILE_PQR.txt >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: eskay
0 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u Disable output buffering. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. EXIT STATUS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! The cat utility does not recognize multibyte characters when the -t or -v option is in effect. BSD
March 21, 2004 BSD