Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using perl to grep a list of patterns from an input file Post 302761671 by gimley on Saturday 26th of January 2013 11:45:35 PM
Old 01-27-2013
Many thanks for the explanation.
The size of the pattern file has increased but awk seems to respond pretty well. To speed up the process, I converted all Unicode to 8 bit and got a fair amount of speed in computation.
Thanks a lot.

---------- Post updated at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:13 AM ----------

Sorry to hassle again. I got the logic, but I have two queries:
A simple one:suppose I wanted to print all the data found on one line instead of on separate lines, what would I have to tweak ? I tried tweaking the print command but could not get the script to print all words on one line.
More complex. My pattern file has gone huge. I am testing 4 letter combos which means around 64000 strings to match. When I run the file against around a similar size of inputs, the script executes but does not give the expected result.
Any solutions. I am quite desperate to solve this issue. Many thanks in advance but with my limited knowledge of AWK and the reading I am doing from OReilley's book on sed and awk, things do not seem to work out.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep patterns - File

Hi I have 3 patterns for example to be searched. These three patterns are available in file1. The patterns to be searched are in file2. I want to search the pattern of file1 to file2. Can any one help with example? Regards Dhana (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk help to match list of patterns and remove from org file

Hi, From the pattern mentioned below remove lines based on pattern range. Conditions 1 Look For all lines starting with ALTER TABLE and Ending with ; and contains the word MOVE.I wanto to remove these lines from the file sample below. Note : The above pattern list could be found in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajan_san
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - How to search a text file with multiple patterns?

Good day, great gurus, I'm new to Perl, and programming in general. I'm trying to retrieve a column of data from my text file which spans a non-specific number of lines. So I did a regexp that will pick out the columns. However,my pattern would vary. I tried using a foreach loop unsuccessfully.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sp3ck
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching patterns in 1 file and deleting all lines with those patterns in 2nd file

Hi Gurus, I have a file say for ex. file1 which has 3500 lines in it which are different account numbers and another file (file2) which has 230000 lines in it. I want to read all the lines in file1 and delete all those lines from file2 which has that same pattern as in file1. I am not quite... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for certain files using a file as input to grep and then move

Hi All, I need to grep few files which has words like the below in the file name , which i want to put it in a file and and grep for the files which contain these names and move it to a new directory , full file name -C20091210.1000-20091210.1100_SMGBSC3:1000... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anita07
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all file that match user input perl

Hi, I want to list all file that match user input ( specified shell wildcard) but when I compile it dont list me #!/usr/bin/perl -w print "Enter Advance Search Function: "; chomp ($func = <STDIN>); my @files = glob("$func"); foreach my $file (@files) { print "$file\n";... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guidely
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Which Grep to use a file as input?

I have two files: usednaslist & naslist Using RHEL5 usednaslist >filera:/vol/EQIMS/build >filera:/vol/iquad_dev/FAST_dev naslist >server12 SunOS filera:/vol/EQIMS/build /users/uxsrvlogs >servers3 SunOS filera:/vol/iquad_dev/FAST_dev /mnt >server4 SunOS ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using grep to select specific patterns in text file?

How do I use grep to select words that start with I or O, end in box, and contain at least one letter in between them? the text file mailinfo.txt contains Inbox the Inbox Is a match box Doesn't match INBOX Outbox Outbox1 InbOX Ibox I box If the command works correctly it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to iterate Grep via all patterns provided in an input file?

When I use the following grep command with options -F and -f, its just displaying the text related to only the last pattern. Command: $ grep -f pattern_file.txt input_file.txt Output: doc-C2-16354 Even the following command yields the same output: Command: $ grep -Ff pattern_file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nsai
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep multiple patterns(file) and replace whole line

I am able to grep multiple patterns which stored in a files. However, how could we replace the whole line with either the pattern or new string? For example: pattern_file: *Info in the () is not part of the pattern file. They are the intended name to replace the whole line after the pattern... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wxboo
5 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)