Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Handling Signals in System Calls Post 302761659 by rupeshkp728 on Saturday 26th of January 2013 10:37:22 AM
Old 01-26-2013
Handling Signals in System Calls

What will happen if signal comes while a system call is being executed?
How it will be handled?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

handling-create new SIGNALS

Hi, i cannot find in which file and function the signals are handled by default.Can anyone help me? How can i create a 33th signal? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panos
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System Calls

What does the system call "dup" do? What is the difference between dup and dup2 I have a fair idea of what it does but I am confused when its coming down to the exact details... Please help me!:confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: clickonline1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

System calls for cp and mv

Which system calls are made for operations cp and mv (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurava99
2 Replies

4. Programming

System calls

why user is not able to switch from user to kernel mode by writing the function whose code is identical to system call. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gen. Question - Script calls multiple programs - Return Code Handling?

General Question: If a script calls multiple external programs (external to the script, but still on unix), where do the return codes go? Let's say one of external programs fails, does the entire script fail and send a non-zero return code to the job scheduling software, or is the return code sent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jnanasakti
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

About system calls.

Hi all, I am new here . I want to know about system call in detail. As system calls are also function .How system identifies it.:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwasrao
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ignored signals & blocking system calls

If I explicity ignore a signal (for example, SIGALRM), and this signal is generated during a blocking system call (for example, a recvfrom() ), what happens to the system call? Does it abort, or does it remain blocked until its end? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hurricane
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

handling signals without race conditions

Greetings, I am writing a small program in C on UNIX, in which I am using (POSIX reliable) signals. 1. Suppose I have a signal : SIGX, and the corresponding signal handler : sigx_handler. It is possible to receive SIGX in my process, and, while executing sigx_handler, to receive again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aigoia
0 Replies

9. AIX

How to create core through program at the time of crash by handling signals?

I am in process of writing a library which can make any application of my product capable of creating core in the application's log folder with a product friendly core file name programatically. In my library I am registering for certain signals e.g. SIGILL, SIGFPE, SIGBUS, SIGSEGV, SIGSYS, SIGABRT... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajeev_ks
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to create core through program at the time of crash by handling signals?

I am in process of writing a library which can make any application of my product capable of creating core in the application's log folder with a product friendly core file name programatically. In my library I am registering for certain signals e.g. SIGILL, SIGFPE, SIGBUS, SIGSEGV, SIGSYS, SIGABRT... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajeev_ks
5 Replies
SIGSETMASK(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual						     SIGSETMASK(2)

NAME
sigsetmask, sigblock -- manipulate current signal mask LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <signal.h> int sigsetmask(int mask); int sigblock(int mask); int sigmask(int signum); DESCRIPTION
This interface is made obsolete by: sigprocmask(2). The sigsetmask() function sets the current signal mask to the specified mask. Signals are blocked from delivery if the corresponding bit in mask is a 1. The sigblock() function adds the signals in the specified mask to the current signal mask, rather than overwriting it as sigsetmask() does. The macro sigmask() is provided to construct the mask for a given signum. The system quietly disallows SIGKILL or SIGSTOP to be blocked. RETURN VALUES
The sigblock() and sigsetmask() functions return the previous set of masked signals. SEE ALSO
kill(2), sigaction(2), sigprocmask(2), sigsuspend(2), sigvec(2), sigsetops(3) HISTORY
The sigsetmask() and sigblock() functions first appeared in 4.2BSD and have been deprecated. BSD
June 2, 1993 BSD