Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using Linux to determine version of Windows Post 302761551 by jamarsh on Friday 25th of January 2013 11:55:20 PM
Old 01-26-2013
Using Linux to determine version of Windows

This is an odd question and I didn't really know what category it fits. I just installed Ubuntu 12.10. During the installation process, the screen informed me that Windows 7 was installed in a particular partition.

I'm just wondering how this was accomplished. Using 'fdisk -l' will indicate NTFS partitions but does not give specifics of the Windows version.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determine Unix Version

Is there a trick to determine the exact version from Unix that one is working with? I would have expected to see it after logon, but all I get are some Copyright-messages... I know it's some HP-UX, but I would like to know the version-number Tnx in advance! Dave (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davegeysemans
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cmd to determine my OS version?

I'm looking for a generic (i.e. would be resident in most/all unix flavors) internal command for determining my OS and version. When I telnet to a box here @ work, I get none of that info and can't remember the equivalent of the DOS ver command; I know I used to know this! Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian.wilson
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Determine LOM version?

Is there a way I can determine the LOM version on a Sun machine without actually shutting the system down? I'm confused. :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysera
2 Replies

4. Slackware

Determine Linux Version.

Apart from the obvious, uname command, is there anyway to determine which Linux distribution and version of the distribution has been installed? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbb
7 Replies

5. Linux

What's better for running Windows software in Linux, Wine or Windows VMware?

What are the differences, advantages, and disadvantages? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Advice Pro
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Portable Shell Script - Determine Which Version of Binary is Installed?

I currently have a shell script that utilizes the "Date" binary - this application is slightly different on OS X (BSD General Commmand) and Linux systems (gnu date). In particular, the version on OS X requires the following to get a date 14 days in the future "date -v+14d -u +%Y-%m-%d" where gnu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinjohnson
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to determine share name of Linux server?

Hi, How to determine share name of Linux server ? OS version is RHL 6.5 Regards, Maddy (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Seen Windows pc, having all the features of Linux, could exe, read and edit save like windows

Hi, totally new to linux base using windows when started learning and using computers. but i remember that one pc was there , look alike windows desktop, but could not do the task as windows just click and open and view edit etc. But, you could do a little differently even saving in and opening... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jraju
8 Replies
TESTDISK(8)						       Administration Tools						       TESTDISK(8)

NAME
testdisk - Scan and repair disk partitions SYNOPSIS
testdisk [/log] [/debug] [/dump] [device|image.dd|image.e01] testdisk /version testdisk /list [/log] DESCRIPTION
TestDisk checks and recovers lost partitions It works with : - BeFS (BeOS) - BSD disklabel (FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD) - CramFS, Compressed File System - DOS/Windows FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 - HFS and HFS+, Hierarchical File System - JFS, IBM's Journaled File System - Linux ext2/ext3/ext4 - Linux Raid RAID 1: mirroring RAID 4: striped array with parity device RAID 5: striped array with distributed parity information RAID 6: striped array with distributed dual redundancy information - Linux Swap (versions 1 and 2) - LVM and LVM2, Linux Logical Volume Manager - Mac partition map - Novell Storage Services NSS - NTFS (Windows NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista/...) - ReiserFS 3.5, 3.6 and 4 - Sun Solaris i386 disklabel - Unix File System UFS and UFS2 (Sun/BSD/...) - XFS, SGI's Journaled File System It can undelete files from - DOS/Windows FAT12, FAT16 and FAT32 - Linux ext2 - NTFS (Windows NT/2K/XP/2003/Vista/...) OPTIONS
/log create a testdisk.log file /debug add debug information /dump dump raw sectors /list display current partitions SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), photorec(8). AUTHOR
TestDisk 6.13, Data Recovery Utility, November 2011 Christophe GRENIER <grenier@cgsecurity.org> http://www.cgsecurity.org 2011 November TESTDISK(8)