Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Finding a text in files & replacing it with unique strings Post 302761533 by spacebar on Friday 25th of January 2013 09:20:08 PM
Old 01-25-2013
Try it like this:
Code:
while read rec
do
  file=`echo $rec | cut -d ";" -f1`
  pattern1=`echo $rec | cut -d ";" -f2`
  pattern2=`echo $rec | cut -d ";" -f3`
  sed -i "s/${pattern1}/${pattern2}/" $file
done <file.csv

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

finding & replacing blank rows/spaces in a file

Can anyone help me find and replace blank rows in a file with a numeric value (ie blankrow=someTxtOrNumValue), the file is over 500,000 rows long so it would need to be the quickest way as I'll need to do this for multiple files...I would be greatfull for any suggestions....thanks sample file:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing strings with text from other file

Hi, Im trying to update some properties files with text from another file: file1 user=xyz file2 user= after script file2 user=xyz Im using this reading the $QUARTZURL,ETC... from quartz.properties: echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mc1392
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with finding & replacing pattern in a file

Hi everyone. Could u be so kind and help me with on "simple" shell script? 1. i need to search a file line by line for a pattern. example of a lines in that file 2947 domain = feD,id = 00 0A 02 48 17 1E 1D 39 DE 00 0E 00,Name Values:snNo = f10 Add AttFlag = 0 2. i need to find... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dusoo
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding & Replacing specific Fields

All I have a very large file (aproximately 150,000) as shown below separated by pipe "|". I need to replace data in 2, 16, 17, 23 fields that are of time stamp format. My goal is to look in those fields and it ends with "000000|" then replace it with "000|". In other words, make it as 6 digit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ddraj2015
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding Unique strings which match pattern

I need to grep for a pattern in a file. Files are huge and have several repeated occurances of the strings which match pattern. I just need the strings which contain the pattern in the output. For eg. The contents of my file are as follows. The pattern I want to match by is ABCD ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tektips
5 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Finding/replacing text and redirection help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: What command would rename "sequentialInsert", in ~cs252/Assignments/commandsAsst/project/arrayops.h, to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lothwen
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing variable Text between fixed strings

Hello all, This is my first post and I hope you can help me out. I searched for quite some hours now and haven't found a simple solution to my problem. It is as following: I got this file: dl.dropbox.com/u/14586156/stuff/Bookmarks.plist and want to replace the Text between... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extended replacing of nonspecific strings in text files [beware complicated !]

Well, to make another post at this helpful forum :b::D: I recently tried something like this, I want to replace all those numberings/letters that are located between <string>file://localhost/var/mobile/Applications/ and /Documents/</string> numberings =---- replace with: first... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding/replacing strings in some files based on a file

Hi, We have a file (e.g. a .csv file, but could be any other format), with 2 columns: the old value and the new value. We need to modify all the files within the current directory (including subdirectories), so find and replace the contents found in the first column within the file, with the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Talkabout
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to show unique strings in two files

how to display the unique strings in two files using shell script or commands. I tried diff and cmp but it shows the entire line, i need only the mismatched strings. File1: sat,sun,mon,tue rose,lilly,lotus white,red,blue,green,pink File2: sat,sun,mon,tue rose,sunflower,lotus... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
4 Replies
ShellQuote(3)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     ShellQuote(3)

NAME
String::ShellQuote - quote strings for passing through the shell SYNOPSIS
$string = shell_quote @list; $string = shell_quote_best_effort @list; $string = shell_comment_quote $string; DESCRIPTION
This module contains some functions which are useful for quoting strings which are going to pass through the shell or a shell-like object. shell_quote [string]... shell_quote quotes strings so they can be passed through the shell. Each string is quoted so that the shell will pass it along as a single argument and without further interpretation. If no strings are given an empty string is returned. If any string can't be safely quoted shell_quote will croak. shell_quote_best_effort [string]... This is like shell_quote, excpet if the string can't be safely quoted it does the best it can and returns the result, instead of dying. shell_comment_quote [string] shell_comment_quote quotes the string so that it can safely be included in a shell-style comment (the current algorithm is that a sharp character is placed after any newlines in the string). This routine might be changed to accept multiple string arguments in the future. I haven't done this yet because I'm not sure if the strings should be joined with blanks ($") or nothing ($,). Cast your vote today! Be sure to justify your answer. EXAMPLES
$cmd = 'fuser 2>/dev/null ' . shell_quote @files; @pids = split ' ', `$cmd`; print CFG "# Configured by: ", shell_comment_quote($ENV{LOGNAME}), " "; BUGS
Only Bourne shell quoting is supported. I'd like to add other shells (particularly cmd.exe), but I'm not familiar with them. It would be a big help if somebody supplied the details. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> SEE ALSO
perl(1). perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 ShellQuote(3)