Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Timing a script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Timing a script Post 302761523 by SkySmart on Friday 25th of January 2013 07:47:00 PM
Old 01-25-2013
Timing a script

i have a very big script i have that i'd like to add a timeout to.

this script runs on a several remote host. i update this script with timeout clause and then copy it over to all the hosts on which it is currently on.

basically, i want the timeout to make the script abort/exit if it's running time is beyond a predeffined time.

this is a script written in bash.

i'm hoping something like this is possible.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

timeout 60seconds () {

}

if [ timeout -ge 60 ]
exit
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

timing a loop in unix.

hi guys.. i have a shell script that loops through a certain directory to see if a file has been created and then prints the file if it exists... the only problem i have now is that sometimes the flat does not get created by the program thats supposed to create it, in this scenario, my loop... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolkott
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

HTML display timing problem under ksh script

Using a HTML page , i'm running a Unix ksh script with <a href=..>. The script contains loop like this : for i in do rsh..... done each rsh command is running quite long and then i would display results in HTML format but about 5mn my blank page waiting for result is running in error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Nicol
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

scp timing out

having problems using scp in that during peak hours it appears to time out. anyone have similar experiences? any thoughts regarding a solution... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jph
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timing out a SSH

I need to make it so an autmated process which involves ssh, times out if ssh prompts for a password. Most of the time it shouldnt prompt for a password. But if it does i need it to time it out or get a status and stop the ssh and log that the ssh failed and move onto the next server. Is there any... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcunn87
9 Replies

5. Programming

timing your functions

hi everyone. If you have a function created in your code and you want to find out how long it takes for it to run you can use a struct called gettimeofday(). so lets say we have a function like this int myfunction (int r) { /*some math calculations*/ return answer; } How do i set up... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
3 Replies

6. Programming

Help with __builtin_prefetch function and it's timing

Hello there, I just needed to know how to get the timing right when using the gcc __builtin_prefetch() function, that is, how many instructions before the actual utilization of the data should I make the prefetch call. I will be measuring the L1 cache hit rate with valgrind's cachegrind,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tavo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timing out lynx request in a bash script

I have a Bash script where, in a loop, I access several urls. Sometimes, if an url is not available, lynx hangs, and the script does not continue. How can I time out the lynx request when it takes more than, 10 Seconds, but continue with the other jobs... For some reason lynx does not care... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lowmaster
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Challenging task : script for mailing process completion timing report to users.

Hi all, This is my first post. I am new to unix scripting. My requirement is as follows : We are using a financial backoffice application. Now at the end of day we have send users a status report stating all timings of EOD processes for all countries. I need timings for following... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammbhhar
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timing the shell script

I have two shell scripts, one written with xargs for parallel processing (p1) and the other written in old school way (p3) . when I execute them, i get the below values. $ time ./p1 real 0m25.36s user 0m0.32s sys 0m0.80s $ time ./p3 real 0m23.25s user 0m6.20s sys ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luhah
4 Replies

10. Programming

Byte swap timing

I have noticed the difference in byte swap timing between two Ubuntu systems. The bswap_32 used to work just fine on the old system, but on the new one it lags behind home-grown swap. My code: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> #include <byteswap.h> #include... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
4 Replies
SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)							 1							 SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)

set_time_limit - Limits the maximum execution time

SYNOPSIS
bool set_time_limit (int $seconds) DESCRIPTION
Set the number of seconds a script is allowed to run. If this is reached, the script returns a fatal error. The default limit is 30 sec- onds or, if it exists, the max_execution_time value defined in the php.ini. When called, set_time_limit(3) restarts the timeout counter from zero. In other words, if the timeout is the default 30 seconds, and 25 seconds into script execution a call such as set_time_limit(20) is made, the script will run for a total of 45 seconds before timing out. PARAMETERS
o $seconds - The maximum execution time, in seconds. If set to zero, no time limit is imposed. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success, or FALSE on failure. NOTES
Warning This function has no effect when PHP is running in safe mode. There is no workaround other than turning off safe mode or changing the time limit in the php.ini. Note The set_time_limit(3) function and the configuration directive max_execution_time only affect the execution time of the script itself. Any time spent on activity that happens outside the execution of the script such as system calls using system(3), stream operations, database queries, etc. is not included when determining the maximum time that the script has been running. This is not true on Windows where the measured time is real. SEE ALSO
max_execution_time, max_input_time. PHP Documentation Group SET_TIME_LIMIT(3)