Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to check arguments in shell??? Post 302761429 by Manueldo on Friday 25th of January 2013 03:08:48 PM
Old 01-25-2013
By echo wanted to check...Does not work still...
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ "$#" -eq 1 ] then
target=$1
echo $target

else makefile='$1'
target=$2
echo $makefile
$target

fi
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Arguments to a shell program

Hi List, Is it possible to pass one argument to a shell program eg) there is a shell program abc which takes one arguments abc one Due to some reasons I pass abc one two Now one,two must be considered as "one" argument to the shell programs. Any suggestions,hints are welcome. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csvenkata
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script with arguments

Hi All, I need some help/ideas in coming up with a shell script. Basically, the script should install 1 or 2 or 3 packages based on the input arguments. For example, if I type in pkgscript.sh a1 a2 a3, it should install all the 3 scripts and pkgscript.sh a1 should install only a1. If a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar6254
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Shell - # of arguments

Hi!, How can I check the number of arguments passed from the shell in a bash shell ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
1 Replies

4. Programming

read arguments from shell

I have to write a C program using sys call (read, no fread) to read from shell all the parameters, without know how many are them. I tryed in some ways, but I have no success. Any Idea? Can I use read to read from stdin? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if passed arguments is users

i want to check passed arguments one by one and if it is user print home director of that user (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: testman84
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using arguments in Shell script

Hello, I have to make a shell script doing that : the program tests if there is an argument, if there is it checks whether this is a directory or not, If it is it opens it. for any .c file in the directory it prints 2 lines in the screen : the dependence line of the .o and compiler commend... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dekl
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Shell Scripting with Arguments

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Problem 1: I need to create a shell script the takes three arguments and echo's out "There once was a ____that____who like to_____" The arguments go where the blanks are. Problemt 2: -Do an LS and store the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dw15
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sub arguments to shell script

Hi, I have a shell script, when run it i get a prompt to enter arguments say 1 for doing my next task otherwise q for quit. What I am trying to do is run the shell script with the argument passed in however it does not seem to work. This is what I did ./test.sh 1 Instead it printed the line... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aqua9
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting with passing arguments

Hi All, I am using the script for creating local queue and passing the arguments while running the script as below n=0 while do e=`expr $n + 3` echo 'DEFINE QL('$e') MAXDEPTH('$6') MAXMSGL('$7') DEFPSIST('$8') '$9'' | /apps/mqm_opt/bin/runmqsc $2 n=`expr $n + 1` done Running the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anusha M
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Shell script file check throws [: too many arguments

While I am trying to check the filename/s in IF statement of a shell script (RedHat Linux 6) I am getting below error: File check: filename_time2=`date --date='yesterday' +%Y-%m-%d` cd /location/of/the/files/to/copy if then cp server.log-$filename_time2* ../archive/new... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dip
5 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)