Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modifying col values based on another col Post 302761333 by newbie83 on Friday 25th of January 2013 12:45:11 PM
Old 01-25-2013
the code runs perfect with the sample data,

One of my actual input files has col 2 as col 8, and col 3 as col 7.
I can replace $2 by $8, what should i replace $4 with ? there is no mention of col3 in the code.
Sorry for the naive question :-/

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help On col command

Hello Can Any1 tell me the difference between the col command and the col command with the -f option. I tried running both of them but i can't see any difference. Please guide me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Info about col command

Hello every1. Can any1 help me with the col command. Wat is a reverse line feed. Which kind of files u need to use the col command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to print distinct col values

Hi Guys... I am newbie to awk and would like a solution to probably one of the simple practical questions. I have a test file that goes as: 1,2,3,4,5,6 7,2,3,8,7,6 9,3,5,6,7,3 8,3,1,1,1,1 4,4,2,2,2,2 I would like to know how AWK can get me the distinct values say for eg: on col2... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: anduzzi
22 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Match col 1 of File 1 with col 1 File 2 and create a 3rd file

Hello, I have a 1.6 GB file that I would like to modify by matching some ids in col1 with the ids in col 1 of file2.txt and save the results into a 3rd file. For example: File 1 has 1411 rows, I ignore how many columns it has (thousands) File 2 has 311 rows, 1 column Would like to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sogi
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

i can't cut the third col

SW_dist_intr false Enable SW distribution of interrupts True autorestart true Automatically REBOOT OS after a crash True boottype disk N/A False capacity_inc 1.00 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Delete the First Blank of the First Col?

Hi to all. In the following example, how can I delete the first blank of the first col? (using shell scripting) first second third fourth fifth sixth seventh eighth Thank's for reading. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daniel.gbaena
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print line based on highest value of col (B) and repetion of values in col (A)

Hello everyone, I am writing a script to process data from the ATP world tour. I have a file which contains: t=540 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=4 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imahmoud
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing from col x to end of line, except last col

Hello, I have some tab delimited data and I need to move the last col. I could hard code it, awk '{ print $1,$NF,$2,$3,$4,etc }' infile > outfile but it would be nice to know the syntax to print a range cols. I know in cut you can do, cut -f 1,4-8,11- to print fields 1,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to mark the row based on col value.?

Hi Gurus, I have requirement to identify the records based on one column value. the sample file as below: ID AMT, AMT1 100,10, 2 100,20, 3 200,30, 0 200, 40, 0 300, 20, 2 300, 50, 2 400, 20, 1 400, 60, 0 for each ID, there 2 records, if any one record amt1 is 0, the in 4th col add... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ken6503
5 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Read values in each col starting 3rd row.Print occurrence value.

Hello Friends, Hope all are doing fine. Here is a tricky issue. my input file is like this 07 10 14 20 21 03 15 27 30 32 01 10 11 19 30 02 06 14 15 17 01 06 20 25 29 Logic: 1. Please print another column as "0-0-0-0-0" for the first and second rows. 2. Read the first column... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies
Template::Plugin::Table(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				Template::Plugin::Table(3)

NAME
Template::Plugin::Table - Plugin to present data in a table SYNOPSIS
[% USE table(list, rows=n, cols=n, overlap=n, pad=0) %] [% FOREACH item IN table.row(n) %] [% item %] [% END %] [% FOREACH item IN table.col(n) %] [% item %] [% END %] [% FOREACH row IN table.rows %] [% FOREACH item IN row %] [% item %] [% END %] [% END %] [% FOREACH col IN table.cols %] [% col.first %] - [% col.last %] ([% col.size %] entries) [% END %] DESCRIPTION
The "Table" plugin allows you to format a list of data items into a virtual table. When you create a "Table" plugin via the "USE" directive, simply pass a list reference as the first parameter and then specify a fixed number of rows or columns. [% USE Table(list, rows=5) %] [% USE table(list, cols=5) %] The "Table" plugin name can also be specified in lower case as shown in the second example above. You can also specify an alternative variable name for the plugin as per regular Template Toolkit syntax. [% USE mydata = table(list, rows=5) %] The plugin then presents a table based view on the data set. The data isn't actually reorganised in any way but is available via the "row()", "col()", "rows()" and "cols()" as if formatted into a simple two dimensional table of "n" rows x "n" columns. So if we had a sample "alphabet" list contained the letters '"a"' to '"z"', the above "USE" directives would create plugins that represented the following views of the alphabet. [% USE table(alphabet, ... %] rows=5 cols=5 a f k p u z a g m s y b g l q v b h n t z c h m r w c i o u d i n s x d j p v e j o t y e k q w f l r x We can request a particular row or column using the "row()" and "col()" methods. [% USE table(alphabet, rows=5) %] [% FOREACH item = table.row(0) %] # [% item %] set to each of [ a f k p u z ] in turn [% END %] [% FOREACH item = table.col(2) %] # [% item %] set to each of [ m n o p q r ] in turn [% END %] Data in rows is returned from left to right, columns from top to bottom. The first row/column is 0. By default, rows or columns that contain empty values will be padded with the undefined value to fill it to the same size as all other rows or columns. For example, the last row (row 4) in the first example would contain the values "[ e j o t y undef ]". The Template Toolkit will safely accept these undefined values and print a empty string. You can also use the IF directive to test if the value is set. [% FOREACH item = table.row(4) %] [% IF item %] Item: [% item %] [% END %] [% END %] You can explicitly disable the "pad" option when creating the plugin to returned shortened rows/columns where the data is empty. [% USE table(alphabet, cols=5, pad=0) %] [% FOREACH item = table.col(4) %] # [% item %] set to each of 'y z' [% END %] The "rows()" method returns all rows/columns in the table as a reference to a list of rows (themselves list references). The "row()" methods when called without any arguments calls "rows()" to return all rows in the table. Ditto for "cols()" and "col()". [% USE table(alphabet, cols=5) %] [% FOREACH row = table.rows %] [% FOREACH item = row %] [% item %] [% END %] [% END %] The Template Toolkit provides the "first", "last" and "size" virtual methods that can be called on list references to return the first/last entry or the number of entries in a list. The following example shows how we might use this to provide an alphabetical index split into 3 even parts. [% USE table(alphabet, cols=3, pad=0) %] [% FOREACH group = table.col %] [ [% group.first %] - [% group.last %] ([% group.size %] letters) ] [% END %] This produces the following output: [ a - i (9 letters) ] [ j - r (9 letters) ] [ s - z (8 letters) ] We can also use the general purpose "join" virtual method which joins the items of the list using the connecting string specified. [% USE table(alphabet, cols=5) %] [% FOREACH row = table.rows %] [% row.join(' - ') %] [% END %] Data in the table is ordered downwards rather than across but can easily be transformed on output. For example, to format our data in 5 columns with data ordered across rather than down, we specify "rows=5" to order the data as such: a f . . b g . c h d i e j and then iterate down through each column (a-e, f-j, etc.) printing the data across. a b c d e f g h i j . . . Example code to do so would be much like the following: [% USE table(alphabet, rows=3) %] [% FOREACH cols = table.cols %] [% FOREACH item = cols %] [% item %] [% END %] [% END %] Output: a b c d e f g h i j . . . In addition to a list reference, the "Table" plugin constructor may be passed a reference to a Template::Iterator object or subclass thereof. The Template::Iterator get_all() method is first called on the iterator to return all remaining items. These are then available via the usual Table interface. [% USE DBI(dsn,user,pass) -%] # query() returns an iterator [% results = DBI.query('SELECT * FROM alphabet ORDER BY letter') %] # pass into Table plugin [% USE table(results, rows=8 overlap=1 pad=0) -%] [% FOREACH row = table.cols -%] [% row.first.letter %] - [% row.last.letter %]: [% row.join(', ') %] [% END %] AUTHOR
Andy Wardley <abw@wardley.org> <http://wardley.org/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1996-2007 Andy Wardley. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Template::Plugin perl v5.12.1 2009-05-20 Template::Plugin::Table(3)