Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command substitution inside of a variable expression (AIX, KORN) Post 302761159 by Subbeh on Friday 25th of January 2013 08:39:43 AM
Old 01-25-2013
Your code works fine for me under Solaris.

Maybe try cd ${1:-$PWD} instead.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making script show command (e.g. copy) being executed and variable substitution?

When script is running you only see when some of the commands are not successfull. Is there a way to see which command are executed and to show the substitution of variables as every line is executed ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr0124
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use variable with command substitution in variable

For example I have variable like below echo $OUTPUT /some/path/`uname -n` when I try to use the variable OUTPUT like below cd $OUTPUT or cd ${OUTPUT} I am getting bad substituion error message $ cd $OUTPUT ksh: cd: bad substitution $ cd ${OUTPUT} ksh: cd: bad substitution ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajukv
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use same variable value inside as well as outside of the awk command?

Hi Jim, The following script is in working state. But i m having one more problem with awk cmd. Could you tell me how to use any variable inside awk or how to take any variable value outside awk. My problem is i want to maintain one property file in which i am declaring variable value into that... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ganesh Khandare
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Command Substitution and Variable Expansion within a Case

Hello All, I don't write scripts very often, and in this case I am stumped, although it may be a bug in the version of bash I have to use (it's not my system). I want to extract a specific string snippet from a block of text (coming from a log file) that is dependent on a bunch of other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaimielives
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable inside command substitution

Hello people. Part of my script: SUBSETID=`echo $PMFILE |sed 's/pmresult_//' | sed 's/_*//'` MAPFILE=`find /huawei/cell /huawei/nodeb /huawei/rnc -name 'mapping_$SUBSETID.txt' |grep -v backup` Unfortunatelly variable $SUBSETID in the MAPFILE declaration will not return the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: drbiloukos
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[solved]Korn, disabling * substitution

If I execute the following line of code: echo "*" I get a list of files in the current directory. What if all I wanted to do was display the asterisk itself? What does the code have to look like so all I get is an asterisk? Thanks ahead of time for your assistance ----------... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wreckoning
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store command inside variable

Is it possible to store a command inside a variable? i want this piece to be stored inside a variable, so i can use it later in a different command $u | cut -d " " -f 2 var="$u | cut -d " " -f 2" eval $var I tried to use eval but I receive this error: -f 2: command not found ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: velos
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable as part of expression in find command

Hi, I am new in scripting, and I am currently working on a script that will look for other files in a certain directory and exclude some file type. this works fine:Find_File2Exclude=`find ${paths} -maxdepth 1 -type f \( ! -iname '*.out' ! -iname '*.auc' ! -iname '*.cps' ! -iname '*.log' ! -iname... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kedd05
4 Replies
SQLSRV_CONNECT(3)														 SQLSRV_CONNECT(3)

sqlsrv_connect - Opens a connection to a Microsoft SQL Server database

SYNOPSIS
resource sqlsrv_connect (string $serverName, [array $connectionInfo]) DESCRIPTION
Opens a connection to a Microsoft SQL Server database. By default, the connection is attempted using Windows Authentication. To connect using SQL Server Authentication, include "UID" and "PWD" in the connection options array. PARAMETERS
o $serverName - The name of the server to which a connection is established. To connect to a specific instance, follow the server name with a forward slash and the instance name (e.g. serverNamesqlexpress). o $connectionInfo - An associative array that specifies options for connecting to the server. If values for the UID and PWD keys are not specified, the connection will be attempted using Windows Authentication. For a complete list of supported keys, see SQLSRV Connection Options. RETURN VALUES
A connection resource. If a connection cannot be successfully opened, FALSE is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Connect using Windows Authentication. <?php $serverName = "serverNamesqlexpress"; //serverNameinstanceName // Since UID and PWD are not specified in the $connectionInfo array, // The connection will be attempted using Windows Authentication. $connectionInfo = array( "Database"=>"dbName"); $conn = sqlsrv_connect( $serverName, $connectionInfo); if( $conn ) { echo "Connection established.<br />"; }else{ echo "Connection could not be established.<br />"; die( print_r( sqlsrv_errors(), true)); } ?> Example #2 Connect by specifying a user name and password. <?php $serverName = "serverNamesqlexpress"; //serverNameinstanceName $connectionInfo = array( "Database"=>"dbName", "UID"=>"userName", "PWD"=>"password"); $conn = sqlsrv_connect( $serverName, $connectionInfo); if( $conn ) { echo "Connection established.<br />"; }else{ echo "Connection could not be established.<br />"; die( print_r( sqlsrv_errors(), true)); } ?> Example #3 Connect on a specifed port. <?php $serverName = "serverNamesqlexpress, 1542"; //serverNameinstanceName, portNumber (default is 1433) $connectionInfo = array( "Database"=>"dbName", "UID"=>"userName", "PWD"=>"password"); $conn = sqlsrv_connect( $serverName, $connectionInfo); if( $conn ) { echo "Connection established.<br />"; }else{ echo "Connection could not be established.<br />"; die( print_r( sqlsrv_errors(), true)); } ?> NOTES
By default, the sqlsrv_connect(3) uses connection pooling to improve connection performance. To turn off connection pooling (i.e. force a new connection on each call), set the "ConnectionPooling" option in the $connectionOptions array to 0 (or FALSE). For more information, see SQLSRV Connection Pooling. The SQLSRV extension does not have a dedicated function for changing which database is connected to. The target database is specified in the $connectionOptions array that is passed to sqlsrv_connect. To change the database on an open connection, execute the following query "USE dbName" (e.g. sqlsrv_query($conn, "USE dbName")). SEE ALSO
sqlsrv_close(3), sqlsrv_errors(3), sqlsrv_query(3). PHP Documentation Group SQLSRV_CONNECT(3)